Heater Hose Nipple pressed in not screwed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustangGuy2k

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Having a hard time getting the heater hose nipple that presses into the block not screwed. Got one from NAPA (660-1580) but it is just a little to big. Anyone know the part number for this hose fitting?

Thanks

Maybe I'm asking an over-obvious question and don't wish to appear an eegitt but, isn't it intended to be a little off given it is pressed in with a substantial amount of force due to the pressure of the cooling system. Great timing with the post too, since I need to replace mine as well

That is the correct bypass tube for the 351C. You can peen the edge over a bit to get it started in the block. Be sure you clean the bore in the block and that there's no rust or left over pieces of the old tube.

I take the hose fittings over to the grinder and put a chamfer on the leading edge O.D., measure the depth of the block metal and draw a line on the fitting to denote depth of install, then I use a short bolt that will just fit into the fitting's I.D., to use the bolt head as a surface to tap the fitting home without damaging the tube's top surface. These tubes must be removed, rusted out or not, to facilitate decking the block, so the practice of removing them without damaging the block and installing them is common practice to any good machinist who works on Fords.

Back