Hello from the California Bay Area

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you.. Where in NY? I'm born/raised in Calif but my family is from Schenectady.

Thank you for your service and welcome from W. Tenn. You will find that this is a great forum for interacting with others on our passion for mustangs and getting those questions answered that are inevitable as you go down the path. We have a great group or modifiers and restorer's that are glad to help out when asked. Post some pictures when you can.

Welcome from Southern California, looking forward to seeing some pictures and getting updates on the progress.

Well, I just purchased my 600# front springs, 165# leaf springs, 1 1/8 front swaybar and, due to funds, a set of KYB front and rear shocks. The issue I am facing now is that the leaf springs lower the rear about 1 1/4" but I don't have that much space to lose. So making a set of leaf spring shackles to make up the difference. I'll post my progress here once I figure out how to post pics.

I'm Mike. I bought my first Mustang in 1992. It was the year after graduated from high school and joined the military. I went into the Air Force as military police (Security Forces) and was first stationed at Hickam AFB. That's where I saw it. A 1971 Mustang Fastback. Unfortunately for the salt air, it was way too much work for me to tackle if I were to bring her back home.

Fast forward 20 years with a wife and child, I am getting ready to retire from the Air Force. Though I do have a '68 coupe I have had for about 15 years with extensive mods such as a 393w stroker, Total Control suspension, Tremec TKO-600, and front and rear Baer brakes, I thought it only appropriate to end my career just as I started it. Just about a month ago, I found a '73 Mach-1 for just the right price. This car is jet black with black interior, 351c with a C-6 automatic. Just as my fastback did back in the day. Not without its faults though. The suspension is shot, the front wheels and tires are too skinny, the rear wheels are definitely wide but with the wrong backspace so they stick out about 3 1/2 inches from the fenders. The trans leaks, the gas tank is full of rust, the long tube headers are too low and just about scrape the reflectors on the road, it has single chamber mufflers and the exhaust dumps 2 feet before the rear end. Did I mention this car still has a points distributer?

I'm not complaining but I certainly have my work cut out for me. So far, I have replaced the fuel tank, alternator, battery, and have added a full length exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers. The following is a list of items I plan to do over the next year:

- upper/lower control arms and strut rods (Total Control or Global West)

- 600# front springs/165# leaf rear springs (Maier Racing)

-Tremec TKO-600 with cable setup (Modern Driveline)

- forged 31 spline axles (9in), TruTrac, 3.50:1 gears

- MSD distributer

- eventually a 393C with 10:1, Deamon 750cfm vac 2nd, 232/240 hydraulic roller cam (though I do like the idea of a 520 stroker)..
pic-2.JPG

Need those wheels for my Starsky and Hutch Torino!

::welcome::

Well, I just purchased my 600# front springs, 165# leaf springs, 1 1/8 front swaybar and, due to funds, a set of KYB front and rear shocks. The issue I am facing now is that the leaf springs lower the rear about 1 1/4" but I don't have that much space to lose. So making a set of leaf spring shackles to make up the difference. I'll post my progress here once I figure out how to post pics.

I love those wheels. I know I can get them in 17x 8. I just wish I could get them in 17x9.

If you are in no rush, maybe we could work something out when I get my new wheels. I just have a bunch of things to get before that.

Need those wheels for my Starsky and Hutch Torino!

Welcome from Navarre Fl...nice to have another Fly boy on the Site!

Car looks like a good deal!
Thanks. I'm actually retiring in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I'm actually retiring in November.
Where you headed to for retirement? Lots of vets on this site. Thanks for your service.

I'm actually staying in California (Bay Area). Though I'm retiring, there's no way my wife will let me get away with retiring for good at 40yrs old..lol. I'm actually applying with local law enforcement.

Well, the body really isn't that bad. But the interior is shot. The drivers seat is broke and I have a car battery back there to keep it from reclining. The Only gauges that work are the speedo, tach, and H2o temp. The folding back seat is missIng the hinges that allow it to fold and the seat part is gone completely. Not to mention the suspension is completely shot.

But to look at the car, it really doesn't look that bad.

Hi Neighbor!

I'm just around the corner from you in west San Jose. I wish I only had your issues...

Ed...

Nice to meet you. I'm Mike. How is your car? Does it run? What do you have planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back