Hello

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, an update was wanted, so here it be. The engine was pulled and the freeze plugs were replaced along with a worn out timing chain. It still needs a new distributor, but I put some points in it and that'll get it by until I can get an HEI unit for it. After doing that and cleaning up the carburetor as best I could, it went back in the car. It will run fast only with the choke on and rev great, but will not idle. I borrowed the carburetor off of my truck to make sure I could get it to run right and it ran better, but not great. I tune with a vacuum gauge and it was bouncing all over the place. Being this thing sounded like it was cammed, which I doubt, I pulled plug wires once at a time to find which one(s) didn't change how it ran. Turns out it only runs (idles) on four cylinders. Did a compression check and all are under 120 with the highest being 118. That would explain why it doesn't idle but will rev up and run fast just fine. One small issue though was that number one was 0. Pulled the valve cover and it had a bent push rod. That valve is stuck open. I also found a bunch of water to come out of that cylinder when I spun the engine over just to watch the rockers to make sure all the other valves were opening and closing. Pulled the head and it doesn't look good. I can fix it, but it's not something I was hoping to find. So come Monday, I'll call up a local machine shop to put in a new valve guide and I'll lap in the valves myself. Being this engine has no blow-by, I'm hoping it just needs the valve seats cleaned up to bring up the compression. I have a '76 Plymouth Scamp with the 225 and it was the same way; idled bad but ran and revved great. It had about 90 psi in number six while the rest were up around 140. Being I was the first one to adjust the valves in over 20 years, I thought I caused the problem. Opened it up, cleaned up the valves and it makes 140 in every hole. I'm hoping I can get away with the same on this. With the roof, whoever did it before had done a terrible patch job, and even after removing the panels that were pop-riveted on, I don't think it's gonna be too much better, but I can at least get it looking good after paint with the body filler. I'm cutting all the rust out of the floor and welding in little patch panels. I'm not good with a welder, so I feel more comfortable doing something that can't be seen rather than something that can. I also had to weld the trunk latch back on to the body and the trunk closes absolutely perfect to my surprise.

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

I would be concerned about the water in that cylinder.

Bad/Wrong Head gasket? Cracked head? Cracked Block?

Stanly Steamer... you need to find the cause IMO

Paul
I'm working on it. I'm hoping just a head gasket, but until I can get back to it I won't know. I'm keeping the car at a friend's house in the next town over. It's only about a 10 minute drive, but of course, I do have other things to do. I'll be there Monday, so I'll be finding out then.

Wow looks like you need a donor roof. Putting body filler over holes will not work. Moisture will get in and cause the paint to bubble up. I would change the roof and take it apart where it meets the quarter at the factory joint and also on the windshield. You could probably change quicker than trying to do repair on holes.

David

Nice project! Looks a little rough around the edges but solid enough to be worth the work. Too bad you didn't come around a few months earlier, I had a complete, rust-free roof from a donor car that I was using to fix my own Mustang. I ended up giving the roof to my neighbor, who probably sold it for scrap. I do, however, have the kickdown linkage for the FMX. If you ever want to swing by the other side of the state (Miami) or pay shipping costs for me to send it, you can have it. This is a pretty cool project and it's a noble thing to be doing it for your dad. I hope you can get it sorted out and presentable for his birthday, although that seems like a tight deadline. Make sure you keep us updated on your progress!

Hello all. I just picked up a 1973 Mustang Grandé and am going to try to restore it. My father bought this car about 20 years ago hoping to restore it and it ended up sitting in the garage untouched ever since. It's taken me three years, but I finally convinced him to let me scrap it. In reality, I took it to a friend's house to restore it for his birthday this November. First thing I've done is put in new points and see if it'll try to fire. It did, but not on all cylinders. He bought this car knowing absolutely nothing about it. I took the carburetor off of my truck and I had the thing running for a few minutes. The engine is quiet, but doesn't run on all cylinders. It has a bent pushrod from a stuck valve, blown head gasket, rusted out freeze plugs, and I don't know what else yet because I found it to be running on only four holes. Compression checked out on all but the stuck valve cylinder (that's how I found it) but seem low to me, but not enough to not run. The floor is rusted out as is the roof because of the vinyl top it used to have. This is going to be an adventure for me and I know it'll be the best surprise I could give him. Unfortunately, with a recent job loss, it's going to be hard. I'm looking for a new job daily, and have a couple that seem promising, but I don't know. Although I doubt that anything will come of it, but I have opened up a "go fund me" account in hopes to get some money to help me out with the old girl. I always wanted it to be a father/son project, but because he never has the time for the car, or the money for the car, I've taken it upon myself to get it going for him to say thank you for all that he's done for me over the years. If anyone would like to help the account is at gofundme.com/yhsre4v She's not much yet, but I want to make this a really nice car and make it so it can be a reliable daily driver since this is my father's dream car. Most of the pictures are on my phone, but I'll get uploaded what I can as soon as I can find the cord for it.
welcome from where this site was born and currenlty 4,000 strong worldwide. Almost had mine put up for a fund me through a sponsor during past 12 yrs. Looking into a turbo on my Cleveland. Might get it done parts laor for 7-1200.Noble thing your intentions w/b~day present4dad. Sure wished any of my ADOPTD kids do for me4my last b~day thanksgiving

last year.

Nice project! Looks a little rough around the edges but solid enough to be worth the work. Too bad you didn't come around a few months earlier, I had a complete, rust-free roof from a donor car that I was using to fix my own Mustang. I ended up giving the roof to my neighbor, who probably sold it for scrap. I do, however, have the kickdown linkage for the FMX. If you ever want to swing by the other side of the state (Miami) or pay shipping costs for me to send it, you can have it. This is a pretty cool project and it's a noble thing to be doing it for your dad. I hope you can get it sorted out and presentable for his birthday, although that seems like a tight deadline. Make sure you keep us updated on your progress!
Could you let me know what the shipping would be on that linkage? I might just take up that offer. Also, I got a text from my friend today where I'm keeping the car. He cleaned up the piston tops and they all say .040 on them, so this engine has definitely been worked on.

Welcome to the site from Virginia. Looks like your making good progress. I'm sure your dad will be excited even if you only get it running when he sees it again.

If the engine has not been ran in a long time you might want to consider pulling the pistons out and clean the ring grooves. You don't have to put new rings in but be careful not to break any. The top rings tend to corrode over time if the car sits and you will start to see smoke when you do start to run. You said that a valve was stuck that is also from sitting and rusting. If antifreeze has been sitting in the one cylinder it is almost guaranteed it has issues with corrosion.

If you are not going to drive a car very often I always spray WD-40 down the carb while at idle and I also mix Marvel Mystery oil and two cycle oil with some gas and pour down and flood the engine out. Not enough to hydraulic the engine and do damage but everything in the valves, guides and upper cylinder will be soaked in oil to help with corrosion.

David

I bet hearing that your pistons are 40-over was pretty exciting news! Who knows what other surprises are in there. Hopefully you can get the engine firing on all eight and sorted out without spending too much. Anyway, PM me your address and I'll send you the linkage. Eh, what the hell, I'll pay for the shipping too.

Could you let me know what the shipping would be on that linkage? I might just take up that offer. Also, I got a text from my friend today where I'm keeping the car. He cleaned up the piston tops and they all say .040 on them, so this engine has definitely been worked on.

I bet hearing that your pistons are 40-over was pretty exciting news! Who knows what other surprises are in there. Hopefully you can get the engine firing on all eight and sorted out without spending too much. Anyway, PM me your address and I'll send you the linkage. Eh, what the hell, I'll pay for the shipping too.

Oh a very nice surprise. I'm hoping for a cam, but since it still has the original 2.75 gear in it, I kinda doubt it. Oh, and a pm has been sent. Thank you.

Here's a little more progress. Since I have the head at a machine shop getting a valve guide put in, I decided to work on the interior. The dash was reminiscent of Legos being bright blue and yellow but has now been painted black. I've patched up the floor to where I feel safe enough driving it once it can drive. A trip to Home Depot and $30 later, I have carpet. It also has peel and stick window insulation under it. As bad as it may seem, this is being done on less than a shoe string budget. My friend put the carpet in after I left his place, so I haven't seen it in person, but I do know that it still has to be moved around before it's finally done. Still have to patch up the trunk and get back to the roof, but it's looking really good right now. Once I get the head back, I'm going to put it back together and get back to all of the mechanical.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

For the first time in 20 years, this car moved under its own power. I finally had enough of the Edelbrock giving me fits, so I bought one off of Craigslist that actually looks like it came out of the ocean, but it runs amazing. Tires all have flat spots on them from sitting, so it's a real bumpy ride. Put new brake pads on the front and it has really good brakes on it, but I still want to go through the whole system. If I lean into it just a little bit, it wants to burn the tires. But, after a small trip around the block, the intake started leaking for some reason and the three fuel filters were just about clogged up from sediment in the tank. So tomorrow, that'll be fixed and I should be able to take it around the block a few more times.

Welcome from coastal Alabama! Looks like your project is coming right along. Have any more updates?

Be sure to add a pin to our member map to represent your corner of the world. The map is located under the "Fun Stuff" tab at the top of the page.

For the first time in 20 years, this car moved under its own power. I finally had enough of the Edelbrock giving me fits, so I bought one off of Craigslist that actually looks like it came out of the ocean, but it runs amazing. Tires all have flat spots on them from sitting, so it's a real bumpy ride. Put new brake pads on the front and it has really good brakes on it, but I still want to go through the whole system. If I lean into it just a little bit, it wants to burn the tires. But, after a small trip around the block, the intake started leaking for some reason and the three fuel filters were just about clogged up from sediment in the tank. So tomorrow, that'll be fixed and I should be able to take it around the block a few more times.
::beer::Wecome from Latrobe,PA. Left from Living in Pinnellas County and working(from a week throughout Sarasota, Lee, and Collier Counties to 3 weeks/month Hillsborough, Pinellas, as far north as Tarpon Springs n Brooksville and east as far as Winter Haven/Plant City/Lakeland) in marketing for Purolator Courier Corporation back in 1983, however been 31 years over there and till 2003 over in Volusia County, at times I find remorse for not staying longer on the Sun Coast anyways. Sure looks like a nice hobby car to me. As yours just getting off the ground, mine is at its last stage(October) after a 12 year restoration period. Hope to see your restoration photos in lengthy detail as you can view mine on my photo album, 'of what not to have happen with a project car'. LOL Good Luck

Looks like a good project

Good Luck with your build

Lots of good information and knowledgeable people here

Paul
Rocket, 'lookn good'! Hope to see you before the snow sets in(over at Arby's one a future Sunday late afternoon)As for my felines, the one on the left just joined the other in 'Kitty Heaven' today. A set back into moving on the last leg of my stang project, however....

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from coastal Alabama! Looks like your project is coming right along. Have any more updates?

Be sure to add a pin to our member map to represent your corner of the world. The map is located under the "Fun Stuff" tab at the top of the page.
No, currently no updates. I haven't been doing anything to it other than drive it to work and back. Being it's running and driving, there's not really anything to do other than start making it look nice, but most of that is beyond my capabilities. Thanks for letting me know about the member map, I'll go ahead and put a pin on it.

Back