Help Finding 1973 Mach 1 Seat Frame

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Bright Red
I need to replace the seat frame as it appears the one that was in the car has been sheared/cracked. See pics below. The problem is, I'm not seeing anyone that sells the high back seats for 1971-1973 Mustangs, only the 1970's. My question is, are these essentially the same seats as what is pictured below, or are my seat frames really that hard to find? I could probably try to get it welded back in place but will probably cost as much as a new frame? Thanks.
2024-07-27 11.13.46.jpg2024-07-27 11.13.31.jpg

Check with Mike @Motorcity Mustang He may have a good one in stock. He had one for me when I had this same issue. When you get a replacement you may want to weld on some reinforcements for those corners. I used some 16-gauge sheet metal and made some patches to reinforce mine:
Seat Frame Patch.jpgSeat Frame Patch 1.jpg

I'd bet the bottom frame is even worse. Mine were torn and bent over in several places. I spent most of a day getting them straightened out, welded ground smooth, and painted. Chuck

Ok so this is an engineering/manufacturing defect? I thought for sure the car was in an accident or something lol.

So just to confirm, these frames will not fit our cars? They look exactly like the frame I just took out...so not understanding what would be different between the 1970 seats and the 1971 seats, both high-back buckets?

https://www.classicindustries.com/p...sfrpB9scM1gR1VllQDIaAu87EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Our 71-73 upholstery won't fit the 69-70 foam and frames and seat track mountings are questionable too. Simple fix is to weld your splits' and reinforce both corners like in Sheriff41's explicit photo. (y)
Practically every one I've seen from 1980 on have a "starter crack" at the top rear corner that eventually migrates down to look like your frame. Either from a big driver nailing many a launch or constantly slapping the seat back into position or from a rear end collision, they all will eventually fail. So, I'd treat them gently and "always" pad those corners if doing new covers.

You asked, "an engineering/manufacturing defect? " No recall, but looking back 50 years they should have made them stronger...

I used some 16-gauge sheet metal and made some patches to reinforce mine:
View attachment 91474View attachment 91475

That corner reinforcement patch looks great. Allot of people could use them for our cars and a part 71-73 Cougar owners need too! In your "spare time" :unsure:why not make a jig, produce a few more and offer them up F/S here (or to Rick@NPD / WCCC) as a repair?
I'm first to be interested in getting a few sets....

I need to replace the seat frame as it appears the one that was in the car has been sheared/cracked. See pics below. The problem is, I'm not seeing anyone that sells the high back seats for 1971-1973 Mustangs, only the 1970's. My question is, are these essentially the same seats as what is pictured below, or are my seat frames really that hard to find? I could probably try to get it welded back in place but will probably cost as much as a new frame? Thanks.
View attachment 91472View attachment 91473
If you live in Central Ohio (Columbus) bring the seat frame over and I will Mig weld it for free. I do favors for many Mustang people so long as they don't dry up the well.

Back