OEM Reclining Seats

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need an education on reclining seats original availability on the 71-73’s. I see Ford sales literature and some specifications blogs/postings referring to optional reclining high back bucket seats on convertibles and some mach 1’s. Is this accurate and are these reclining mechanisms or seat frames available or perhaps parted out? I have new upholstery on my 73 stationary high backs now. Would it fit on the reclining frames? I’m trying to keep the appearance original so avoiding the modern and racing bucket replacements.

Attachments

• IMG_5437.jpeg
    IMG_5437.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 0
I've heard of it for passenger seats in some fords from that era. My t-bird has that option.
I remember seeing some old commercial somebody had posted to youtube. Ford basically sold it as "your wife can take a nap on the way home after she had too much to drink at the dinner party".

This page has some history about the reclining seat option in the thunderbirds. Originally it was a standalone option. Then by the early 70s, ford had rolled it into another package. Seems like if it were even available on the mustangs, they would have done similar. Like making your owner a grande or some highway road warrior package to get the reclining passenger seat. https://automotivemileposts.com/tbird1964recliningseat.html

Last edited:
The 71-73 buckets all had fixed backs, There might be some confusion with the automatic seat back release, which was part of the Convenience Group option. You can adjust the angle of the back by shimming or changing the black plastic bumpers on the seat frame.

T-bird had a reclining bucket option going back to at least 1965, Full size since around '68 on the bench with the reclining passenger back rest.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, none of my Ford documentation supports the OE production-installed reclining bucket seat availability for the '71-3 Mustangs. I've harvested a lot of parts from these era Mustangs when treasure hunting in the salvage yards "Back in the Day" and have never seen anything other than the standard fixed seat back.
If you want to angle your seat back slightly, try what Hemikiller suggested and trim the small circular black plastic washer/disc on the lower seat frame. Ford called it a front seat back scuff plate. I've had a couple of friends trim theirs down in an attempt to get at least a couple of degrees more in the seat back angle. On long rides or trips, they felt like they were sitting almost straight up and were very uncomfortable.
Although you stated you wanted to retain the original style seats in your vehicle, if you were looking for a reclining seat back choice and wanted it to meet current safety standards, a new model Mustang seat or an after-market version would be a better choice.

The first OE production-installed reclining bucket seat in the Mustang line was the '79 Mustang Pace car with the Recaro seats. They were so popular Ford made the Recaro seats an option in '80. In 1981 Ford made a non-Recaro reclining seat option available on certain interior trim levels.
As Hemikiller stated, people unaware of the automatic seat back release may have mistaken them and all the associated hardware for something else as these cars were worked on or parted out.
If you come across any Ford printed material about the reclining high-back bucket seats you referenced in your post, please share it with us. I'm sure many here, including myself, would also like to learn something new if documentation confirms those reclining seats did exist.

Back