Help Me Spend My Money

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got around to installing my Holley Hyperspark distributor. I just finish installing it yesterday and am very pleased with it so far. The install itself isn't bad, it's cleaning up all the wiring that takes the most time. I spent about 3 hours total from start to finish. I really like the clear molded cap they use to set the distributor phasing. I only had to make asmall timing adjustment of about 1 degree. I was really surprised how much smaller it is compared to the Duraspark. Not having mechanical weights or a vacuum advance cuts down the size considerably.

The car started right up and seems to be running well. I haven't taken it out on the street yet but plan on it later next week. I will run the basic timing settings and let the efi build a timing table and see how it runs. I'll then load the timing table I have made up and see if there is much difference. I'll use the Sniper software on my laptop to compare the two tables side by side to see how close or difference they are. Should be interesting.

I am so happy you had all the dollars well spent. A plus point for EFI!
Does the Holley Hyperspark fit under the Ram Air?
@tony-muscle Although it is smaller in diameter it is about a 1" taller. I measure the Hyperspark at 9" from engine block to top of plug wires vs 8" for the Duraspark. I don't have the ram air plenum so I don't know if the extra inch will pose a problem, but I don't think so.

20220130_135941_resized.jpg20220209_123616_resized.jpg20220209_164443_resized (2).jpg20220209_164646_resized (2).jpg

Last edited:
Are you running CJ heads? I ask because the hookers don’t match the CJ flanges. They worked fine for a while. I didn’t know why I was blowing exhaust manifold gaskets, was always # 4. Currently I’m running Crites long tubes that match the CJ exhaust ports but the headers are too close to the ground for comfort, also the Crites are too close to stock oil filter. Bought a set of mid-length FPA’s from Stan, haven’t installed yet. Quality of the FPA’s is awesome.

Are you running CJ heads? I ask because the hookers don’t match the CJ flanges. They worked fine for a while. I didn’t know why I was blowing exhaust manifold gaskets, was always # 4. Currently I’m running Crites long tubes that match the CJ exhaust ports but the headers are too close to the ground for comfort, also the Crites are too close to stock oil filter. Bought a set of mid-length FPA’s from Stan, haven’t installed yet. Quality of the FPA’s is awesome.
I have D0ve-c heads. The hooker headers aren't the best fit for these heads, but they were on the car when got it. I had to weld up one of the flanges to get a better seal at the heads. I had consider going with the FPA's but decided to hold off for now. I agree about the ground clearance issue. I had to open up several of the pipes that the po of the car had half flatten.

Let me know how the install and the new headers perform once you get them on. Post a few pics also if you can.

Last edited:
i went through two sets of hookers before switching back to stock 429CJ manifolds. Going back to stock was a mistake as far as performance. The Crites headers are awesome headers as well and super easy to instal, but they are really more for strip than street. I’m running 3’ exhaust through X pipe to Magnaflows and 2.5“ over the differential.
Because I just did exhaust last year, I’m not in big hurry to put the FPA mid-length headers on. I also heard that the FPA headers come very close to PS box, so mine are not coated yet in anticipation of having to make them fit. Here is pix of Crites ground clearance on my 71

Attachments

• 9A1413A5-0250-4AA9-85EE-A4C82150A9B4.jpeg
    9A1413A5-0250-4AA9-85EE-A4C82150A9B4.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 10
Back