Help! What's in my 'vert?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
While posting what I thought was a correction in the Motorcity Mustang forum (http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-73-mustang-crankshaft-balancer-351-2v), BT provided some info that has me wondering what the heck is sitting in my engine bay. It was rebuilt with the belief that it was a '73 2V H code, but now I'm not so sure. I hope all the new parts I bought and assembled are interchangeable with what I thought I had and what's really in there.

Can someone help me figure out what engine I've got? :huh::huh::huh:

Doc

Find the numbers on the side, toward the rear of the block, under your PS exhaust. That will tell us what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I've got:

Driver's side cylinder head: 2L22

Could not find ANY numbers on the block after crawling under and over everything I could. I wish this had come up before I got the headers bolted in, or better yet, while it was still on the engine stand. I took a bunch of pics while the whole thing was torn apart, and I'll see of I can find some numbers. Thanks for the help!

Doc

Doc, I do not believe there is going to be a problem with the "block" as other than the 4-bolt mains on certain ones, they are essentially the same for the 351C during the production run. I am thinking you probably have a D0AZ-D block, which according to my reference was the appropriate one for the 351C 2V from 1970 -1974.

I did a check on a couple of Sites selling 351C Harmonic Balancers and it seems that the stock ones are in fact different for 1972 351C 2V and 1973 351C 2V when compared against the 1970 351C 2V (H Code) and 351 4V M-Codes.

Being a modifier and since I have not worked with Clevelands for over 30 years, I cannot tell you what is different between the two sets of engines since the blocks and crankshafts are essentially the same. it may be something as simple as a different weight.

Perhaps Chuck or one of the other Gurus will post up with their understanding of the difference between the "stock" balancers.

BT

As near as I can determine, if the engine is a 1972-73 351C-2V the Ford PN is D2AZ-6316-B. The casting number (# on the part) should be either D2AE-6316-B1A OR D2AE-6316-B2A. Do you have the casting number from the block (behind the starter)? Chuck

As near as I can determine, if the engine is a 1972-73 351C-2V the Ford PN is D2AZ-6316-B. The casting number (# on the part) should be either D2AE-6316-B1A OR D2AE-6316-B2A. Do you have the casting number from the block (behind the starter)? Chuck
Thanks, Chuck. I'll look for it and post it up as soon as I get home tonight.

Doc

Doc, I think we may have gotten you "off track" with our postings on this situation.

I do not believe the block casting number is going to help in making a determination as to why you are apparently having what you consider better results with the early (1970/1971) Balancers instead of the one that is normally called for in a 351C 2V that was installed in a later (1973) Mustang. Again, the blocks (including the heads, flex plates and crankshafts) are the same for all the 351C 2V engines that were produced during the production period in question.

Per my research, the Balancers were all the same weight (28 ounces) and diameter. There were differences as it relates to size (Narrow, Medium and Wide); hence, the apparent difference in casting numbers.

It is also my understanding that the Balancers are totally interchangeable, as long as the correct pulleys and belts are utilized (especially for "regular" driving). I would think that the 180* degree off situation with the other Balancer could have been resolved with a timing tape.

In short, I do not believe you have a problem:).

If there are conflicting opinions, I am sure they will be posted:).

BT

I think this can help you:

Check your warrantynumber (normally on the dashboard), and let it decode on this website: http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html

the warrantynumber tells you something about the year, the engine, the bodyseries, the plant and the unit.

Good luck!

I think this can help you:

Check your warrantynumber (normally on the dashboard), and let it decode on this website: http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html

the warrantynumber tells you something about the year, the engine, the bodyseries, the plant and the unit.

Good luck!
That's a great resource, and will be most helpful determining if his engine actually came with the car or not.

OK, I think I can put this thread to rest. My belief that the HB that Coilwire sent me was based only on the fact that there was a groove in it that my original HB did not have, and it was EXACTLY 180* opposite Top Dead Center. There were no numbers visible on it, which made it tough to determine where TDC would have been marked on it. However, after reading BT's post above, I put them side by side with a magnifying glass and determined that they were basically the same, except that the groove was missing on my original HB. Bottom line, as BT alluded, is that they are interchangeable and simply have different numbers on them. So, I'm $98 poorer but wiser. Just another example of some of the weird things that took place in the Ford assembly plants in the early 70's. :s

Doc

Yeah - but what about your casting numbers? Aren't you still curious about that? ;)

Hey Eric - I am maybe a bit curious, but not so much right now. I crawled around the dang thing for 15 minutes in the cold garage and didn't see one letter or number. After I get the motor running, I'll take some time to find them. The way the whole thing looked when I was taking it apart, I would bet two paychecks that it was the original engine that had never been out of the car. So I'm still confident that it's an H code that came stock with the car at delivery. :)

Doc

Back