Hi Torque Starter landed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande 351C
71 Mach 1 429CJ
The starter ordered last week, has landed, pretty fast sending from dbelectrical...

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/ford-mini-pmgr-racing-starter-302-351-higher-torque-3205-sfd0001.html

Here's the baby compared to the old expensive "mac leod",

on weight side, they both feel similar, much lighter than the original unit.

Got swetty head inspecting the pinion... turns out the new unit had 10 teeth vs 9 on the old one.

measured the space on old and all i could compare, all is same except radius is slightly bigger and is compensated by extra teeth.

the swet dried out :)

so first thing was to paint the body/solenoid, as for $47, you get some basic metal protection that will

look crap in a year from now. 

Then started look at wiring and if I compare both, there is a massive diff.

The big 4 gauge feed wire seems to move from a to b...

The people at dbelectrical are still asleep... 

Any tips so i could test which one it should be? Don't want to fry that baby!

start2.jpg

DBElectrical wiring is correct; the starter solenoid that actually engages the starter moves from the fender to the unit itself.

Yep, the starter uses a trigger wire to activate the starter mounted solenoid. The other power terminal can mount to either the battery or to battery side of the fender solenoid.

Back from hardware store... saw the mounting bolts eaten the trans casing, prolly because of the vibs caused by pinion wrong alignment or may the cause of it...

so studs will now go completely go thru and be tightened so they can't go dance anymore...

As old and new solenoid on starter look pretty much same and doc kinda vague, it was confusing.

So thx guys for the clarification "left" diagram will be used...

The old starter is basically the same as the new one except the old one has an extra gear reduction drive.

Back