My new high-torque mini-starter is just awesome!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replaced mine with a mini starter too, a local shop built it they specialize in alternator and starter rebuilds. Paid $100 for it and just bought the wiring and terminals separate. Have to say it's one of the best upgrades I put on the car. Previously I had a rebuilt one from autozone that the previous owner had bought when the original failed and that lasted about 4-5 years.

I bought one of these a few weeks ago, but it has been too cold to install it. Warmer today, so maybe ill have time to get it installed.
No such luck... Maybe tomorrow. Ended up driving an hour each way to go help my daughter who is in college make a magnetic bulletin board for her sorority house. Spent a few hours in Lowes and Home Depot this morning, then after I changed the oil in our Odyssey, I headed west. Just got home, and I'm not up for another project today...

I would love to hear about your installs because mine is having trouble fitting right (it goes in but when I rotate it to try and line up the mounting holes it doesn't seem to line up) but haven't crawled back under there since we're still doing some final wet sanding on the paint.

John

Just got done installing mine. It was harder to get the old one off than it was putting the new one on. Damn tranny lines made it hard to get any kind of angle on the top bolt. The new one is so much smaller, it was a whole lot easier getting my big ol' hands up in there.

Just got done installing mine. It was harder to get the old one off than it was putting the new one on. Damn tranny lines made it hard to get any kind of angle on the top bolt. The new one is so much smaller, it was a whole lot easier getting my big ol' hands up in there.
Sounds like it slipped right in...I need to get back under there and see what my problem was...

I installed mine yesterday. Based on what I read before the installation, I was a little worried about getting the old one out. I have hooker comp headers, but it was not an issue. I did have to work to get the socket on the top bolt, but it only took a few minutes and out with the old, in with the new. I was a little unsure about the wiring, I don't have a lot of experience doing "mechanical" stuff, but this was an EASY project, even for me.

Check out my old starter:

20140210_142215.jpg

Here are a few other pictures:

20140210_142248.jpg

20140210_144338.jpg

Bottom line, this was a very easy, inexpensive upgrade. This starter is a lot lighter than the original. It does sound a lot different and that will take some getting used to. Great post by Monterey... thanks!

A tip for starter install (that is far less necessary with the smaller gear reduction starters) that may be helpful is to tie a nylon strap around the starter body and thread it up through the exhaust manifold so that you can either hang the starter close, or if you have help, have someone pull lightly to hold the weight and free your hands for installing the bolts.

I have a 351c that is s-l-o-w to start and rotates very slowly a couple times before fireing. Just put in a battery and it has done this since i have owend it. Any recomendations for a good starter for an automatic trans cleveland with headers would be appreciated. Thanks

I bought a Bosch replacement last spring that works great. Great warranty also. Didn't have to change anything, just bolted right up.

Back