Hilton Head Concourse D'Elegance 10/31/24-11/3/24

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The clock is ticking, 1 1/2 weeks before I have to hit the road to Hilton Head. The car is not even at my house right now. After years of Concourse MCA judging and getting a slight point deduction for no orange peel in the paint I went all in for a show car finish. Dropped the car off at a shop here in Chatt that is recognized as the best paint correction and detail shop in east TN. My little 72 was surrounded by Lambos, Porsches, Range Rovers and a couple Ferraris. It is getting the full paint correction detail done. He scanned the paint last week and determined there was plenty to work with. He has been sanding with 2K and 3K trizac over the weekend. Stopped by this morning and he was still on the 3K sanding. Man I cannot tell you how much my stomach churned seeing the paint all sand scratched from that process. He promised promised me that it will all be good and he is going to have it done this week. Will also be buffing all of the aluminum trim as well. No anodize on the trim any longer so he is going to ceramic that after buffing. I cannot describe how honored I am to be showing at this level of a show and to be selected to be on the lawn for judging on Sunday. The wife and parents will be along for the event. They also went with to Savannah last week and my mom repeatedly stated she just cannot believe how the car is showing so well knowing the rusted jalopy she recalled rolling in to the garage many many years ago (40 to be exact). On pins and needles for the next couple of weeks but really looking forward to this opportunity.
I would love to see your car someday. I live just outside Nashville and my daughter attends and plays softball at UTC. So we travel there a lot (hate the drive down I-24)
If you are ever showing it on the Chatt or Nashville area let me know.
I have thought about driving my 72 down to Chatt on the back roads. I have already mapped it out and as I’m sure you already know it’s the best way to travel. Get to see so much cool places off the beaten path.
Good luck on your showing.
P.S. Love that color.
I’m pretty set on painting mine it’s original Ivy glow. Thought about a few different colors but since the car has all its number matching drive train it might be best to go with the original color.

Hey, I forgot to mention this but when you start going to concours shows like HH regular cars shows PALE in comparison. One reason I stopped going to regular car shows was due to my attendance at various concours shows. You don't have that BLARING music being played all day. While my hearing is bad and I wear hearing aids, listening to 5+ hours of Beach Boys music (and similar) at regular car shows drives me crazy!!! Heck, in the past I left car shows because of the music, none of that at HH. I displayed at the Cincinnati concours show twice at Ault park (https://ohioconcours.com/), they had soft classical music playing in the background.

The clock is ticking, 1 1/2 weeks before I have to hit the road to Hilton Head. The car is not even at my house right now. After years of Concourse MCA judging and getting a slight point deduction for no orange peel in the paint I went all in for a show car finish. Dropped the car off at a shop here in Chatt that is recognized as the best paint correction and detail shop in east TN. My little 72 was surrounded by Lambos, Porsches, Range Rovers and a couple Ferraris. It is getting the full paint correction detail done. He scanned the paint last week and determined there was plenty to work with. He has been sanding with 2K and 3K trizac over the weekend. Stopped by this morning and he was still on the 3K sanding. Man I cannot tell you how much my stomach churned seeing the paint all sand scratched from that process. He promised promised me that it will all be good and he is going to have it done this week. Will also be buffing all of the aluminum trim as well. No anodize on the trim any longer so he is going to ceramic that after buffing. I cannot describe how honored I am to be showing at this level of a show and to be selected to be on the lawn for judging on Sunday. The wife and parents will be along for the event. They also went with to Savannah last week and my mom repeatedly stated she just cannot believe how the car is showing so well knowing the rusted jalopy she recalled rolling in to the garage many many years ago (40 to be exact). On pins and needles for the next couple of weeks but really looking forward to this opportunity.
Brian , Best of luck to you at the show! Your car is certainly deserving of this level of show .
Ray from NM

Hey, I forgot to mention this but when you start going to concours shows like HH regular cars shows PALE in comparison. One reason I stopped going to regular car shows was due to my attendance at various concours shows. You don't have that BLARING music being played all day. While my hearing is bad and I wear hearing aids, listening to 5+ hours of Beach Boys music (and similar) at regular car shows drives me crazy!!! Heck, in the past I left car shows because of the music, none of that at HH. I displayed at the Cincinnati concours show twice at Ault park (https://ohioconcours.com/), they had soft classical music playing in the background.
I must admit I can pass on the loud music at shows as well. I do enjoy opportunity to meet new people and talk cars when possible. The small shows I feel keep the hobby real. Don't get me wrong please. the variety and caliber of cars at a concourse is truly impressive and to see cars that I know I will never afford in many ways is truly impressive. I respect all the showing venues for what they are, but agree the music could be lowered at many.

For many years, up until I decided to take a break, I produced and put on the Mustang and All-Ford Round-up at Silver Springs annually. In our heyday, it was 1,000-1,100 Ford products packed within the Silver Springs nature park. And one hard/fast rule of mine was NO DJ's... Lord knows, every year I'd have a handful of DJ's offering me their services, and a handful of participants advocating for DJ music because they thought it was too quiet and boring. I always politely declined the offers from the prospective DJ's, and for the folks ASKING for it, I always politely bit my tongue... Well... I'd just be nice, and relate to them "I think one of the best things about this show is how everyone has the opportunity to visit and converse and talk to one another without having to shout/scream over Mustang Sally... And I intend to keep it like that, peaceful, relaxing, etc.."...

Latest posts

Back