Holley 650 fuel line fittings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odmark

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mercury Cougar
Hello! Not really mustang related but i got this holley 650 carburetor from my neighbor.

It seems to be missing some sort of "fuel filter" if i have understood right.

So is it supposed to be a "screw in" fuel filter in the hole in the provided picture, and then a second "fuel hose attachmenent point" (couldnt for the life of me come up with the correct word) that screws into that?

And then split the fuel line in two and attach one to the upper and one to the lower?

Does someone know the part numbers, thread sizes etc. of the parts i need?

And also, what vacuum port is what? The big one is PVC obviously but wich one of the small ones is ported and manifold vac?

Would really appreciate it, my 600 edelbrock seems like its not really up for the job anymore, im going for a quickfuel 650 DP later but i was thinking i could use this holley for now since i could borrow it.

Pictures:

1: Top fuel inlet and the hole down below:

vfwfhe.jpg

2. Full carb pic:

2q0lkp5.jpg

3. Vacuum ports:

2w2lbmv.jpg

I'm not that familiar with that carburetor, I think it was used on GMs. The threaded opening on the site of the bowl is for the fuel line connection. It is missing an adapter into which screws either a filter or a hose connection. The hose connection on top the bowl is an emission vent for the fuel bowl.

I believe the ported connection is on the left and manifold vacuum on the right. I would cap those, anyway, until you get it running right, and then connect a vacuum gauge to each port when the engine is at a low idle speed to tell for sure. Or, you could connect a section of hose to each port, blow into it, and see where the air is coming out of.

Yes i think it came of a GM car, Or was it mopar?

Anyway, thanks for the answer!

So the top hose connector should have a hose that leads to where? Air filter?

Sweet, thanks man! Hopefully this will work fine until i have the $$$ to make my next 1750$ summit order :shootself:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, I don't believe they are very tuneable, just idle and maybe accelerator pump. I don't believe it has interchangeable jets.
This carb has metering blocks front and rear, is a double pumper and can be tuned like any other Holley 4150 series carb.

There should be a list number on the choke air horn in the circled area. Post that here and I can help point you to the correct parts for it.

2q0lkp5.jpg

It seems to be a 4165 series Holley, their replacement for a Rochester Quadrajet. Chuck

Hmm, seems to be an odd bolt battern for the carb, it didnt fit my old edelbrock intake but now i have a holley intake with 2 holes in each corner and it still does not seem to fit.

Just did a quick test so i dont really know, gonna buy new studs for the intake tomorrow anyways and then i will double check.

Hmm, seems to be an odd bolt battern for the carb, it didnt fit my old edelbrock intake but now i have a holley intake with 2 holes in each corner and it still does not seem to fit.

Just did a quick test so i dont really know, gonna buy new studs for the intake tomorrow anyways and then i will double check.
The bolt pattern is GM Quadrajet and Chrysler Thermoquad. It will not bolt to any Ford manifold that I'm aware of. It appears to have originally been used on a Chrysler 340, 400, or 440. Chuck

Odmark,

There should be more numbers on the air horn. I would put that on the shelf as a talking piece. It is an emission type carburetor. Here is the Holley 4 V for the 1985 Mustang GT 302 V8-

Source: http://diyford.com/ford-small-block-engine-interchange-induction-system/

mustang7173
Yes, the numbers 0544 was also on the air horn.

There is adapters to fit this carb to a regular intake, but is it really worth it if its an emission type carb?

Another friend of mine also has a 650 double pumper laying around that he wanted to trade for my edel 600.

But that also turned out to be a quadrajet bolt pattern holley...

Also it looks wierd, never seen this kind of holley:

30idyk0.jpg

Spread bore with vacuum secondaries.

Numbers on air horn:

R84014-3

And its most likely even more of a piece of junk than the first carb i showed right?

And its most likely even more of a piece of junk than the first carb i showed right?
I have no reason to believe either one is junk. If properly calibrated either one would probably work fine, just not on your intake manifold. Chuck

But the second one, after reading some info on it. Seems to be cast in one piece, more like an edelbrock style carb.

Would either one of these be worth a 30$ adaptet plate to run on my intake?

I found a 750cfm holley double pumper for like 200$, basically new. But thats a little too much right?

I think i will buy the adapter plate, its barely any money and hopefully the first 650 i showed will work better then the 600 edelbrock until i get the money for a new carb.

I would not run either carb without rebuilding it first.

I would prefer you get a decent square bore vac secondary or dbl pumper if you have a manual trans

from ebay. The going price is abt $200 I just bought one.

The carb I bought was off a running engine but I pulled it apart and rebuilt it and

found it had been jetted up from original so you never know who has done what.

Used carbs should always be pulled apart and regasketed and inspected.

Good Luck

Paul

Back