Hood Ram Air- housings, inserts & flap components

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my Mach 1 around '96-'97, and at that time the Ram Air motors were not functional. I called around and found re-built units kinda pricey, for what they are. So....being an "ex-parts counter man", I went into the books and looked up air cleaner vacuum motors, physically ordered a handful, with the blessings of the store knowing I was going to send back what didn't work, found one close enough. I needed only to change the bend on the hook slightly to work, and as shown previously, one ear is positioned slightly different and had no mounting hole, but a drill fixed that.

OK, I drilled two new holes in my inlet plenums and mounted them. They have been working perfectly for 20 years now on a car that gets driven every day. So, sue me that I drilled two new mounting holes, but for ONLY $2.50 each, the car is functional, and while not meant to be concourse, the car is just as nice as anyone's.
Forget drilling the holes at least you do not have a shiny black out on your hood. Car looks great for a driver for sure.

I bought my Mach 1 around '96-'97, and at that time the Ram Air motors were not functional. I called around and found re-built units kinda pricey, for what they are. So....being an "ex-parts counter man", I went into the books and looked up air cleaner vacuum motors, physically ordered a handful, with the blessings of the store knowing I was going to send back what didn't work, found one close enough. I needed only to change the bend on the hook slightly to work, and as shown previously, one ear is positioned slightly different and had no mounting hole, but a drill fixed that.

OK, I drilled two new holes in my inlet plenums and mounted them. They have been working perfectly for 20 years now on a car that gets driven every day. So, sue me that I drilled two new mounting holes, but for ONLY $2.50 each, the car is functional, and while not meant to be concourse, the car is just as nice as anyone's.
I wonder if those actuators are still available after all these years. Do you remember who the manufacturer was and a part number?

Do you have the part number?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Forget drilling the holes at least you do not have a shiny black out on your hood. Car looks great for a driver for sure.
Yes, yes, and thanks. For the concourse bound, there is only one way to go....the original part. All I meant to say, was that if you want them to function and don't mind adding the extra hole(s), the air cleaner vacuum motor is an acceptable way to make things work again. Give me a few minutes to go out in the garage, and I'll find the brand and part number of what I used.

O.K., I saved the box that the vacuum motor came in. The brand is Borg/Warner , part number EC 514 "vac actuator", and as I said, it's original purpose is for the air cleaner snorkel hot air door. Hopefully, this number and brand is still good, or can be cross-referenced to another brand.

On another note, inside the box was one of my original ram air motors. it looks exactly like the original in Mr. rackerm's post, except for instead of having the Ford script in the oval on the back side, it has a small rectangle in the same location with "FoMoCo" in the rectangle. It also is stamped with a date....5 12 70. It doesn't hold vacuum anymore, and that's why I removed it. Amazing that I kept it 20 years!

O.K., I saved the box that the vacuum motor came in. The brand is Borg/Warner , part number EC 514 "vac actuator", and as I said, it's original purpose is for the air cleaner snorkel hot air door. Hopefully, this number and brand is still good, or can be cross-referenced to another brand.

On another note, inside the box was one of my original ram air motors. it looks exactly like the original in Mr. rackerm's post, except for instead of having the Ford script in the oval on the back side, it has a small rectangle in the same location with "FoMoCo" in the rectangle. It also is stamped with a date....5 12 70. It doesn't hold vacuum anymore, and that's why I removed it. Amazing that I kept it 20 years!
Thanks. I found two in different places around the net. Let's hope they are the same. Here are the cross-references I found:

BWD EC514

AIRTEX 6V1021

CARQUEST 577750

WELLS E308

Back