Hood refinishing help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
I just bought a nice original '71 Mach 1 hood.

The top looks good but the underside has about four coats of peeling paint and some surface rust. I've been wire weelin' all day and my ears are still ringing.

The question is do I need to go down to bare metal before I give it a coat of primer? I'm working out all of the surface rust and the paint that was peeling but was wondering if I could just get away with just ruffing up the sections that are not peeling.

One other thing, the area that the hood rests on the rubber hood adjustment has a little crack in it (see pic), should I weld that crack in or just leave it?

Just trying to get as much done before the car goes in for paint.

Oh yeah, anyone have a pair of scoops they want to get rid of?:D

100_2061.jpg

100_2063.jpg

100_2068.jpg

100_2060.jpg

So is that wire wheel on an angle grinder or a drill. I put mine on my angle grinder and at 30,000 rpm, the paint and a few wires goes flying everywhere. I usually have to wear two shirts to keep from getting shot at with those wires.

Great job though. I'm a long way from the hood. I'm still on the floor pans.

And nope, no scoops. They are pretty common though. You might want to think about punching out the secondary hood latches before painting. Some hoods got them, some didn't.

I got a jug of paint stripper from the local Ace hardware... All I did was brush it on, wait 10 minutes and scraped it off. It probably won't go to the bare metal but that stuff saves alot of time.

I got a jug of paint stripper from the local Ace hardware... All I did was brush it on, wait 10 minutes and scraped it off. It probably won't go to the bare metal but that stuff saves alot of time.
Stupid me, that didn't even enter my mind. I've got a can in the basement and I'll be trying that in the mornin.

I got a can of aircraft stripper from auto-zone to use on my daughters 77 stang doors. That stuff took it down to bare metal. Just make sure ou wear rubber gloves and eye protection. Will post a pic of the stuff tomorrow.

Jim

I got a can of aircraft stripper from auto-zone to use on my daughters 77 stang doors. That stuff took it down to bare metal. Just make sure ou wear rubber gloves and eye protection. Will post a pic of the stuff tomorrow.

Jim
X2. You can get spray cans of aircraft stripper at W-World for about $5. Just spray on, and in 10 minutes scrape off with a rubber spatula down to bare, shiny metal.

Doc

i wish i could get those strippers here. the ones you get here in austria aren't strong enough. i had my hood media blasted from the underside. the top was wired.

@ scoops, can't help you either. sorry

abudi

This is a pic of the stripper that I used and a pic of the door from my daughters 77 stang door.

Jim
You forgot something.... something worth roughly 1k words :rolleyes:

i have visions of David Blaine going to Kennedy airport, and rubbing that on a 747 in front of a live audience and the plane disappearing.

i have visions of David Blaine going to Kennedy airport, and rubbing that on a 747 in front of a live audience and the plane disappearing.
I know, right? It DOES say "Aircraft Remover," after all (and not "Aircraft Paint Remover").

Probably reduces the sulphur smell to almost negligible - but I wonder how they handle the 'BAMF!' noise.

Too funny!! :D:D:D

The top looks good but the underside has about four coats of peeling paint and some surface rust. I've been wire weelin' all day and my ears are still ringing.

The question is do I need to go down to bare metal before I give it a coat of primer? I'm working out all of the surface rust and the paint that was peeling but was wondering if I could just get away with just ruffing up the sections that are not peeling.

One other thing, the area that the hood rests on the rubber hood adjustment has a little crack in it (see pic), should I weld that crack in or just leave it?

I would repair the crack by welding it up.Also check the area around the latch.These hoods are bad about the braciing rusting through inide out.The top of the hood will look great,but the bracing will rot.Water has a tendancy to set inside the bracing.I may have the scoops .I will check my stash.

PC250019.JPG

I would repair the crack by welding it up.Also check the area around the latch.These hoods are bad about the braciing rusting through inide out.The top of the hood will look great,but the bracing will rot.Water has a tendancy to set inside the bracing.I may have the scoops .I will check my stash.
Thanks for looking FastE, but I already bought a set from Ohio Mustang.

Latch area is a little dented but no rust. The hinge area was in great shape also, That's probably why I paid premium for it:mad:.

Got all the paint off and is now primered and ready for the painter.

This weekend I took the old hood off (by myself, whew!). Took the hinges off and refinshed them.

Hey guys, i think i´ve red a thread of a mixure of some acids that removed both paint and rust... there were used instead of sandblasting...

I´m having this problem with my 70 coupé... i´m using paint remover and it does his job great, but underneath, rust is all over the body.... The car was sitting under roof but in a wet environmet for 25 years and that´s the cause of superficial rust all over..

All the skins can be easyly sanded with an orbital sander but the "inside" parts are impossible...

If anyone remembers or knows about that procedure and those acids, that could be a lot of help for everyone...

Besides, sandbast a car is not that easy too, at least in here... the shops that do that are not that common over here, they charge a lot and they dont do a great job either...

Hey guys, i think i´ve red a thread of a mixure of some acids that removed both paint and rust... there were used instead of sandblasting...

I´m having this problem with my 70 coupé... i´m using paint remover and it does his job great, but underneath, rust is all over the body.... The car was sitting under roof but in a wet environmet for 25 years and that´s the cause of superficial rust all over..

All the skins can be easyly sanded with an orbital sander but the "inside" parts are impossible...

If anyone remembers or knows about that procedure and those acids, that could be a lot of help for everyone...

Besides, sandbast a car is not that easy too, at least in here... the shops that do that are not that common over here, they charge a lot and they dont do a great job either...
Hey, Uraguayan_Fastback (can I call you something shorter? :))

I saw that thread, too, and it looks like it may not have been a good as it seemed. I'm still looking for something a really works, but haven't found it yet.

Doc

PS Again, do you have a shorter name, please? doc

Hey, Uraguayan_Fastback (can I call you something shorter? :))

I saw that thread, too, and it looks like it may not have been a good as it seemed. I'm still looking for something a really works, but haven't found it yet.

Doc

PS Again, do you have a shorter name, please? doc
Hi Doc!!!... First of all... my name is Damián... you can call me UF too... (someone just did that in another thread... Uruguayan Fastback, UF ;))

You know, find something that works in that matter would be amazing... i did hear of a mixture of acids before... Here in Uruguay you just cant go to a shop and buy products, there aren´t any variety so, i tend to find the formulas and make the products myself... I´m now starting a 1970 coupé that´s been sitting in a humid garagge since 1982, the problem i have is that under the original paint, all surfaces are rusted.. ALL.... The car has no rust holes but this surface rust dont come off with a sander either so i kinda have to find something to kill that rust cancer everywhere...

As i´m far away from any supplier, i have to recover all the body parts, restore and reuse so that´s critical, seriously...

Well.. is anybody knows something, i thing we all can use this info...

We´ll keep in touche then Doc!!...

Remember... Damián or UF :)

Hi Doc!!!... First of all... my name is Damián... you can call me UF too... (someone just did that in another thread... Uruguayan Fastback, UF ;))

You know, find something that works in that matter would be amazing... i did hear of a mixture of acids before... Here in Uruguay you just cant go to a shop and buy products, there aren´t any variety so, i tend to find the formulas and make the products myself... I´m now starting a 1970 coupé that´s been sitting in a humid garagge since 1982, the problem i have is that under the original paint, all surfaces are rusted.. ALL.... The car has no rust holes but this surface rust dont come off with a sander either so i kinda have to find something to kill that rust cancer everywhere...

As i´m far away from any supplier, i have to recover all the body parts, restore and reuse so that´s critical, seriously...

Well.. is anybody knows something, i thing we all can use this info...

We´ll keep in touche then Doc!!...

Remember... Damián or UF :)
Thanks, Damian! Now I remember - you used to sign your posts when you first got here, and I should have remembered. Thanks for the reminder!

We'll keep looking, and I'm sure we'll find the right stuff. Take care and stay in touch.

Doc

Back