• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Horn set new or used?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Now that I’ve got the electrical sorted, I’ve discovered both of my horns are not working. I did test them both for continuity and got zip. Not being a horn man, I also tested them with a direct battery test, nothing. So, do people put used horns on these 50+ year old cars or is that a fool’s errand and I should just get new? If used is ok, how much for both high and low set to 91784? Thanks, Steve

I was curious so I measured a new one I recently bought. It was right at 0.6 Ohms. If yours are open, they are probably dead. My experience with these old horns has been that if they do work, they don't sound right. I've been able to get sound out of them by tapping on a solid object while applying 12V. Seems like the sound element gets bound up with dust. I picture it being akin to the voice coil on a speaker with dust in it.

I have had success reviving old horns with an ultrasonic cleaner. A couple of hours in one with a drop or two of Dawn dish soap and most often they come back. Remove the tuning screw and rotate the horns such that the water spins out of the horn body. You will be amazed at the amount of crud that shakes loose. I follow up with a healthy squirt of WD-40 in the tuning screw hole to help dry things out. Let them sit for a couple of days before replacing the screw and giving them a go.

I have had success reviving old horns with an ultrasonic cleaner. A couple of hours in one with a drop or two of Dawn dish soap and most often they come back. Remove the tuning screw and rotate the horns such that the water spins out of the horn body. You will be amazed at the amount of crud that shakes loose. I follow up with a healthy squirt of WD-40 in the tuning screw hole to help dry things out. Let them sit for a couple of days before replacing the screw and giving them a go.
Interesting. I may have to try that with some of my Ranchero horns.

I just replaced my set of horns (high and low tone) with new units, I think from CJPP. For the cost of new horns itr was not worth my time to try to get the old ones to work. If it was hard to find good, new horns I mught have tried to repair them. But, luckily they are easy to find, and not too costly.

Well, I did get the low horn fixed, thanks Mike. Now, I didn’t have an ultrasonic cleaner, so I had to do a bit more cleaning effort. Once I removed the cleaner from the threaded hole for the adjuster, it worked great. The Hi horn still is doing nada. Even though it’s questionable on effort verses cost, being full time retired, I mean, what else am I gonna do?

Well, the horn cleaning worked a bit, but in the end, that horn also failed. I purchased two refurbished horns and they sound great.

Back