How does this work?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think this is a spark delay valve. I have checked it when it is hot and cold and at no time does it allow any vacuum to go from the carburator to the single port on the vacuum advance, so what's the point? I figured maybe it opens when the ambient air under the hood gets to a cetain temperature, but like I said, even if I heat it up it won't open to allow vacuum to get to the distributor advance. Any ideas? Kevin.

Attachments

• IMG-7186.jpg
    IMG-7186.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-7187.jpg
    IMG-7187.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-7188.jpg
    IMG-7188.jpg
    993.6 KB · Views: 0
Yep, it's a one way valve but it delays when the vacuum affects the timing advance by not opening until the vacuum reaches a set level under acceleration, then closes under deceleration.

Yep, it's a one way valve but it delays when the vacuum affects the timing advance by not opening until the vacuum reaches a set level under acceleration, then closes under deceleration.
I wonder how I can check it to see if it's working properly. No matter how hard I suck on carb side it doesn't to open. Any ideas?

If you have a vacuum pump, try that. You don't have enough "suck" otherwise.
If in doubt, replace it. I'm pretty sure those were used on many applications and car brands, so you may need to check around.
I remember back in my Fram air cleaner days, those or similar were used in vacuum lines and were color coded if I recall.

I wonder how I can check it to see if it's working properly. No matter how hard I suck on carb side it doesn't to open. Any ideas?
Like @Stanglover mentioned, you'll need a vacuum pump. I've found the simple and inexpensive MityVac comes in handy for testing these, checking the function of vacuum controls, bleeding brakes on my motorcycles, etc. They're a good tool to have in your toolbox.

It's amazing this whole emissions control loop 'worked'. They sure were a creative bunch!
Indeed, but really were just keeping the dumb-ass politicians, who have zero knowledge of what they were trying to impose, happy. The public weren't for sure.

Those spark delay valves were only useful in one situation, installing them in the vacuum hose leading to the EGR valve diaphragm to slow down how soon the EGR valve would open, as on some engines the EGR opening at light throttle would cause a stumble. When they were used with the vacuum advance diaphragm tubing it slowed down how soon vacuum advance would be applied on off idle acceleration. The upside is for cars running low octane fuel it would pretty much eliminate any light acceleration pinging. The downside is the benefit of having vacuum advance being applied (better engine response at light throttle fuel economy) was muffled in an effort to further reduce NOx emissions. These are one way valves, so applied vacuum in one direction get slowed down, but in the other direction vacuum flows immediately (for vacuum release mode).

Back "in the day" when facing a complaint about poor low end acceleration and/or poor fuel economy with in town driving, I knew of "some folks" who would "clean out the valve restrictions with a small drill bit - heh heh... And, I also knew of folks who would install them in the vacuum line that would sent vacuum to the EGR Valve actuating diaphragm. In both cases the results were quite positive. Names are being suppressed to protect the guilty parties. heh heh... I will say, one of the folks that would install these vacuum delay valves in the EGR vacuum hose was a Ford factory trainer (now deceased) who said at times it is what it took to get a car to become more drivable in city traffic. He was my favorite Ford instructor, ever. I not only admired him for his no nonsensical diagnostic and repair approach, but he had Parkinsons and his tremor was quite pronounced. He refused to let his disease keep him from sharing his knowledge. I really enjoyed going to factory training whenever he was the instructor. RIP, Jim...

Those spark delay valves were only useful in one situation, installing them in the vacuum hose leading to the EGR valve diaphragm to slow down how soon the EGR valve would open, as on some engines the EGR opening at light throttle would cause a stumble. When they were used with the vacuum advance diaphragm tubing it slowed down how soon vacuum advance would be applied on off idle acceleration. The upside is for cars running low octane fuel it would pretty much eliminate any light acceleration pinging. The downside is the benefit of having vacuum advance being applied (better engine response at light throttle fuel economy) was muffled in an effort to further reduce NOx emissions. These are one way valves, so applied vacuum in one direction get slowed down, but in the other direction vacuum flows immediately (for vacuum release mode).

Back "in the day" when facing a complaint about poor low end acceleration and/or poor fuel economy with in town driving, I knew of "some folks" who would "clean out the valve restrictions with a small drill bit - heh heh... And, I also knew of folks who would install them in the vacuum line that would sent vacuum to the EGR Valve actuating diaphragm. In both cases the results were quite positive. Names are being suppressed to protect the guilty parties. heh heh... I will say, one of the folks that would install these vacuum delay valves in the EGR vacuum hose was a Ford factory trainer (now deceased) who said at times it is what it took to get a car to become more drivable in city traffic. He was my favorite Ford instructor, ever. I not only admired him for his no nonsensical diagnostic and repair approach, but he had Parkinsons and his tremor was quite pronounced. He refused to let his disease keep him from sharing his knowledge. I really enjoyed going to factory training whenever he was the instructor. RIP, Jim...
That is great advice Gil! I noticed an immediate improvement in power when I removed the valve from "Ms Donna." In trying to keep the stock look, I actually considered drilling the valve like you mentioned. I am going to try moving it to the EGR valve hose now. At least it will still be with the car and not lost that way.

By the way, I had been running low voltage through the resister wire to my Pertronix Ignitor and I used your idea of the red/yellow hatched 12V lead to the carb solenoid and the car absolutely came to life. Thanks!

()

I think this is a spark delay valve. I have checked it when it is hot and cold and at no time does it allow any vacuum to go from the carburator to the single port on the vacuum advance, so what's the point? I figured maybe it opens when the ambient air under the hood gets to a cetain temperature, but like I said, even if I heat it up it won't open to allow vacuum to get to the distributor advance. Any ideas? Kevin.
When I took my then brand new 72 Mach 1 to Ford for a warranty issue, a sage, elderly mechanic (I was a college kid , so he may have been all of 35) took that vacuum delay valve off and showed it to me and said the smartest thing you can do is to put it in your right hand and throw it as far as you can. He then proceeded to demonstrate. That was the last time I ever saw that part, and never missed it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I took Gil's advice and moved the valve to the EGR valve. What's great is that it allowed me to keep the valve and the unique 90 degree vacuum hose (that mice had nibbled on on the other side) with "Ms Donna" my 8,000 mile survivor barn find. I can't wait to see if it runs better. I'm already very happy with the way the car runs after supplying a full 12 volts to the Pertronix Ignitor unit.

Attachments

• IMG-7227.jpg
    IMG-7227.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back