How much does Mach 1 paint job cost?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$1000 x 10 x a few more for mine...
But you made your painter mad when you wouldn't let him pick the color or screw up the hood black out  :D :D :D :D :D

$1000 x 10 x a few more for mine...
But you made your painter mad when you wouldn't let him pick the color or screw up the hood black out  :D :D :D :D :D
Ha. As I wanted the hood perfect in my eye’s, one area was out a 1/4” to my liking. I would not call it ascrew up, most here would be more than happy with the end result. As for colour, he simply asked if I was sure I wanted to repaint the car in the original application. He still did an overall awesome job imo.

now you guys make me want to vent...

You had to mention the hood...see pic..

not acceptable.. an ebay flip paint job when I got it... yes I should have known better...

Haggerty  said 25k for a #3 car, and I won the auction sight unseen at 12k...

DO'H....bad move..  had to do floor pans, 4 years of work...I wasn't gonna be burned, gotta make this car nice

to get my value back,

As many of you have done, as I've seen on this website the last 4 years, this car needed to be brought back to life.

very loaded..incl. tilt wheel,sport deck rear seat, ps,pb,ram air,air cond, am/fm/, console, sports interior, conv. group, magnum 500's...ect..

I have  blasted, painted and replaced every single piece in the interior, under hood, under trunk, all rubber, steering box, glass, everything..

I have taken a liking to this car...see my garage.. I'm any early Mustang guy prior to this

I have the original card from the original owner, orig window sheet,...blah, blah,

I saw a 72 Mach sell at Barrett Jackson tonight  for 24k, new paint like I want/ started this post about,

If his is 24, mine is 24k already without paint, he had no interior, no under hood ...

I feel good where I'm at with 21k into the car. 

I think I could spend 10k or so on paint and be very pleased...

Keep up the good input and advice everyone!

DSC05589.JPG

20190518_130854.jpg

DSC03062.JPG

OK, I just had my front and rear glass removed over the weekend, next step is detailing the trunk, and prep for finish body work and paint. I will be doing this myself, pewter color code "V" 71 mach1.

I started searching for paint, I plan on base coat along with the black on the bottom as factory, no two tone hood color. First feel out, looks like $500 to $600 a gallon for color. Are those numbers real?

Next off, these cars are huge, in doing a base coat clear coat, how much color quantity will it take?

OK, I just had my front and rear glass removed over the weekend, next step is detailing the trunk, and prep for finish body work and paint. I will be doing this myself, pewter color code "V" 71 mach1.

I started searching for paint, I plan on base coat along with the black on the bottom as factory, no two tone hood color.  First feel out, looks like $500 to $600 a gallon for color. Are those numbers real?

Next off, these cars are huge, in doing a base coat clear coat, how much color quantity will it take?
Be glad you don’t have a yellow car. My paint was 800 a gallon.

Yellow is one of the cheaper colors out there. I paid $900 a gallon for good PPG Deltron DBC Yellow base coat. I would think Pewter would be a bit more. At $500-600 a gallon i'm guessing that is going to be the cheaper brand such as OMNI or something similar.  Omni is PPG's value brand. Its decent paint but does not provide the coverage that the more expensive paints do.  When i painted the yellow mach 1, i did jambs , and inside doors, trunk, hood ,ect.  If i remember correctly i had approx. 1 1/2 gallons of color and used almost 2 gallons of clear. I used 2 gallons of 2k high build primer , 1 gallon of epoxy primer.  Total all in for materials.... including mud, paper, tape, cleaner ect ect... Around $4,500  On top of that i had approx 460 man hours of labor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also just be happy these aren’t the newer ford color with the tri-coat system!! They have a base color, then a candy, metallic, pearl mid coat, then a clear on top. I just finished my buddy’s 2010 F150 that has a red tri-coat.  We put new rockers, cab corner and bed sides on. The base coat and mid coat costs are unreal!! For 1 gallon of each it was just over $2,300!!!! That’s paint only! It’s crazy expensive!! Looks pretty but expensive!! And red is most expensive color. 

Thanks for this photo, but golly!  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like an original a/c compressor.  I'm interested in the finish.  Powder-coated, or is that just how nice it looks cleaned up?  If it's not the original compressor, "oops".

Thanks for this photo, but golly!  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like an original a/c compressor.  I'm interested in the finish.  Powder-coated, or is that just how nice it looks cleaned up?  If it's not the original compressor, "oops".
That is the original AC pump. The owner had the ac all gone through and sent it out to be rebuilt. I’m not sure where? But I did paint the pulley, and detailed the compressor housing. I did powdercoat the brackets too. 

On my 71 Mach 1 in Light Pewter, code V, the total job cost me 10 grand Canadian in 2014. The paint alone, base and clear was around 2 grand and the paint had to be custom matched as there was no corresponding formula in base/clear. The paint supplier camera'd original, un-faded paint under the rear window metal piece (Valence?)

The modern paint has more metallic in it and it came out a little darker, probably due to the air pressure used, but all-in-all, I have had no complaints at shows and many compliments. The only issue was mostly my fault as when I instructed the painter to set the hood black-out 2" from the front of the hood, I forgot that the 1" trim was not yet installed, resulting in the black-out being 3" from the front, not 2" (approx.) 

In my case, I had zero rust issues and only a few bumps and bruises to take car of. I actually got a good deal on it as the body guy was not busy at that time, so he did most of the reassembly work for me plus I got a couple of months free winter storage out of the deal, so I was laughing.

Here's a pic of the car at the Dearborn Mustang Memories car show last August when it picked up a "Class Winner" plaque.

Geoff.

On my 71 Mach 1 in Light Pewter, code V, the total job cost me 10 grand Canadian in 2014. The paint alone, base and clear was around 2 grand and the paint had to be custom matched as there was no corresponding formula in base/clear. The paint supplier camera'd original, un-faded paint under the rear window metal piece (Valence?)

The modern paint has more metallic in it and it came out a little darker, probably due to the air pressure used, but all-in-all, I have had no complaints at shows and many compliments. The only issue was mostly my fault as when I instructed the painter to set the hood black-out 2" from the front of the hood, I forgot that the 1" trim was not yet installed, resulting in the black-out being 3" from the front, not 2" (approx.) 

In my case, I had zero rust issues and only a few bumps and bruises to take car of. I actually got a good deal on it as the body guy was not busy at that time, so he did most of the reassembly work for me plus I got a couple of months free winter storage out of the deal, so I was laughing.

Here's a pic of the car at the Dearborn Mustang Memories car show last August when it picked up a "Class Winner" plaque.

Geoff.

Beautiful car, same color as my goal. I will not be doing the stripes or the hood black on mine, as it was not configured that way new.

Aside from that, I found Sherwin Williams paint in their "Dimension" line that has the formula for this color in a basecoat, and is $348 a gallon. I will be going that route, I am still a touch concerned on the quantity. One Gallon will make six quarts "sprayable" color, should that be enough? Any input would be great.

Geoff.
Beautiful car, same color as my goal. I will not be doing the stripes or the hood black on mine, as it was not configured that way new.

Aside from that, I found Sherwin Williams paint in their "Dimension" line that has the formula for this color in a basecoat, and is $348 a gallon. I will be going that route, I am still a touch concerned on the quantity. One Gallon will make six quarts "sprayable" color, should that be enough? Any input would be great.
Thanks for the compliment.  Actually mine was a 1 of 6 Plain Jane car, basic everything, no black-out, stripes, 1A basic interior, V code paint. Only option listed was 351C 4V, 4 speed trans, Hurst Shifter, AM radio, that's it. A PO repainted the car back around 2003. At that time it was totally untouched and original. He chose to add the black-out hood and stripes and Mach 1 seat covers, which I like and retained when I redid the whole car in 2014. To me, that's the way the Mach 1 should have been made to distinguish it from the fastback model.

Interesting that you were able to find the paint code from Sherwin Williams. We could not find it here in Canada at all back in 14. Some paint types are unavailable here due to regulations. 1 gallon (US) might be enough as long as your painter doesn't waste any!! Put 3-4 coats of good quality clear on so you have plenty to cut and polish.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics when done.

Geoff.

I bought one gallon of RM Diamont base when I did my '71, as that's what my painter used day in and day out to do all of his work. It's a high quality mid-range paint system. Their Glasurit line is much more expensive.

It was a complete strip to bare metal repaint. I cut in the doors, hood and trunk lid, as well as painted some misc bits, the painter did the panel assembly and sprayed the final color coats. I still have about a pint left in the can.

YMMV, as different paint systems and colors will require different number of coats to cover properly. Cheap paint covers like crap because it's cheaply made and has low solids content. If the cost different between a top shelf paint and an okay paint is a couple hundred dollars per gallon, I'd go with the top shelf paint. Your final paint materials are the absolutely last place you should be looking to save a couple dollars.

I see RM Diamont at $350/gallon online.

https://www.autobodysupply.net/category-s/118.htm

I would stay away from the Sherwin Williams Dimension paint. It is their low grade paint line. Might be ok for your daily driver but i wouldn't want it on my mustang. I am a stickler for PPG paint. I really like it. And it mixes 1 to 1. SW Dimension is 2 to 1. So the PPG may cost more but you get more sprayable out of it and it covers great. Alot of guys can get away with 1 gallon that makes 2 gallon sprayable. I ended up using 1 1/2 gallon which makes 3 gallon sprayable because i had to re shoot a couple panels and my gun is not HVLP its a conventional and uses a little more material but sprays great! Like stated above paint is not where to skimp. Its one of the biggest investments into your car and the most seen. The paint code for PPG is 2287 for Pewter.

If you have a paint shop in mind it would be a good idea to use what the painter is used to spraying. Silver is not the easiest color to get even. If you hand him or her a gallon of something different and it comes out streaky or mottled then where are you? You may want to let the shop pick the paint system then any issues with the finish are on them.

Back