How much should this work cost?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That may explain why he said it was not supposed to draw vacuum. I was told by PO that it was EGR plate and had no idea what it was so I went with it. Learn something new every day. Already ordered the manifold and hardware kit so I am glad it is finally confirmed that the manifold actually can have issues. I may need to stick to Sportsters, I know those parts a whole lot better.

Nah, these things are as easy as Sporties.

The plate just covers a crossover between the 2 heads and is an exhaust "chimney" carrying heat to a coiled tube that should be in there (but is not needed in your case).

Some intake gaskets have a provision to install a tin plate over the holes in the heads to keep the hot air out of the intake. It's not a huge deal either way and won't make the engine run any differently as is.

So why do you think it could be drawing air since it is not in the intake stream?

Some intake gaskets have a provision to install a tin plate over the holes in the heads to keep the hot air out of the intake. It's not a huge deal either way and won't make the engine run any differently as is.
I'm going to disagree with you on blocking off the heat riser openings on the heads..It's been proven on the dyno by a well known engine builder to be worth about 20hp doing so.

As far as diagnosing an issue with Ralph's car... as it stands... meh, I wouldn't bother unless it actually is pulling vacuum. That is an issue if it is. And an odd one at that.

Might even help the car in his goal as "daily driver" status, with quicker warm up.

Personally, yes, I always block my crossovers off in the handful that I have done, and would recommend doing so when installing his new Eddy. I've never had an issue either way, as I'm not a crank'er up and go kinda guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Delivered my manifold and bolt kit to the shop and now I go back Friday afternoon and pick up my car. Looking forward to driving the Beast next week. Have some interior work to do this weekend to quiet and beautify. New carpet and center console with armrest will really be nice. Haven't seen it with the 2 inch drop front and back, that should be nice as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Bet you are looking forward to driving it,they really are a hoot to drive when everything is working just right. Well done on staying with it after all that frustration and cash the smiles you got coming will be all the sweeter.

Well, I guess it will be next week. Engine is all back together. Last job was to find what was draining my battery. I was told the voltage regulator and alternator was shot. The alternator was fire hot and he said it had a melted Diode(I think). Car is said to be running great but he needed to keep it till Monday to make sure the battery drain problem is truly solved. I hope it is and that this ends Monday. Wanted to do the interior this weekend but it is not meant to be. Wife is out of town so I am o'k with driving the shop owners Yukon for one more weekend. I will have a basically new car next week. perfect.

Well, picked it up today and it stalled on me 10 miles from the place. Think the fuel was boiling in the filter since I saw it bubbling. Car runs fine but is hard to start. Tweaked the distributor to the left a hair and now it start immediately. Think the harmonic balancer may have slipped a hair on the rubber. Every thing running good, looks great lower, worried tranny is next. Feels like it is not speeding up as quick as the motor is and I thought I felt a small vibration under WOT. Will baby it for a while till my reserves are built up again. Still too loud and need to change Flowmasters. They are simply annoying.

Well., I have finally figured out the trick to starting this car first time. Running good but little stuff. They did not get the lower radiator hose on quite right and the power steering best eventually cut a pin hole in it. Changed to new hose today and life is good until the next problem.

Back