How to: Convertible Top Adjustment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
Father /Son resto-mod project
1 year in:
351 Cleveland- modified
Maier suspension
Tremec 5 speed

Attachments

• Fords Unlimited Car Club _ Tech Info _ Convertible Top Repair & Adjustment Manual.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
as a new 'vert owner any top info is useful. Thanks!

Hey gang -

I'm in the process of fitting the new top frame and found this on the Fords Unlimited Car Club Website.  Very nice step by step on how to replace and adjust your top and frame.

http://www.fordsunlimited.com/fords_convertible.html

Butch
Does anyone know where the adjustments are located on a 1973 convertible?   It's different than the drawings here. I need to move the top back and to the left a wee bit

You're probably going to find there are not too many adjustments you can make on the 71-73 top frames as compared to frames from the 50's and 60's. General centering position of the frame is usually made at the mounting points (3 bolts) at the rear quarter. Some forward / back adjustment can be made at the front bow connection to the main frame. Hold down hooks are pretty straightforward using an Allen wrench (hook should be snug -- not tight).

Above all, be patient and take your time. Lots of raising and lowering will be required to verify the position of the top.

Thanks for the info. Working on it last night I found part of the problem was the weatherstrip was installed wrong. I will widen that out tonight. Any idea what the bolt at the top of the quarter window does? I assume it is for the front header height. The previous owner moved every adjustment he could find.

Back