HOW TO REPAIR BROKEN HOOD MLDG STUDS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Ok Guys,

Common problem on the cast hood edge molding & side marker bezels is the cast studs can break off. Heres an easy fix..Find the correct size screw to fit the nut..Cut off the head of the screw..rough up both surfaces..clean with denatured alcohol..use J.B. weld quick to glue the new stud/screw..The J.B. weld sets is 5 minutes & if you catch it just right in the drying cycle you can use your finger to smooth it out..Let sit over night before using..I've fixed lots of cast parts this way over the years.

101_0574.JPG101_0575.JPG101_0576.JPG101_0578.JPG101_0577.JPG

That will be coming up on mine since I caught the front trim while loading up the hood...

I notice you say to prep parts like these with denatured alcohol... Any reason for that over say, lacquer or brake cleaner?

"J B weld is proof that god loves loves us and wants us to be happy"

- Paul

So JB Weld really works as an honest to goodness bonding agent? I kind of written it off like some of the as seen on TV items. I'll have to give it a try now.

So JB Weld really works as an honest to goodness bonding agent? I kind of written it off like some of the as seen on TV items. I'll have to give it a try now.
It's one of the products out there that really works as advertised..I have repaired broken blocks..broken tabs etc. with regular J.B. weld..I did a 5hp briggs leaf blower block that put the connecting rod through the side of the block..repaired the the hole with J.B. weld from the inside & outside..still going strong after 4 years..Good stuff

I had an old suzuki rm250 that broke a piston ring and scarred up the cylinder. It was already bored .080 over so couldnt go any further without resleeving. I didnt have much cash to fix it right so i had to use some jb weld to wipe into the cylinder and fill the scratches. I then honed the cylinder and put new rings on the piston and i was up and running that weeekend. Rode the bike like that for another year or so before i sold it. Wouldnt reconmend that on a car engine but for my rm250 beater bike i had good luck.

Turtle, thanks for the tip! I have a DS80 cylinder that has a huge gouge and am going to give that a try. It was part of a blown main bearing cage that got sucked up into the transfer port, and is not on a thrust side.

A new top end job is worth more than the bike...!

Turtle, thanks for the tip! I have a DS80 cylinder that has a huge gouge and am going to give that a try. It was part of a blown main bearing cage that got sucked up into the transfer port, and is not on a thrust side.

A new top end job is worth more than the bike...!
If you do end up using jb weld. Use the original formula. It seems to harden and last better. Also clean the gouge really good with brake clean. Use some 80 grit to scuff up around it. It worked for me pretty well. I hope you have just as good of luck. Let me know how it works out for ya.

Back