How to tell the different years?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible, factory 302, disc brakes and A/C. Started to rebuild it all original but elected to go full tilt and rebuilt everything in the drivetrain, a/c, cooling, etc. etc. etc.
Ok, this is my first 1971 Mustang Convertible. I have a rudimentary question, how do you tell a 71 from a 72 and 73. I was familiar with the variants when I had my 67 Camero; vent window, round grill turn signals and different tail lights. What are the differences in our mustangs?

Bumpers ,grilles ,parking lamps ,side markers lamp location on front fender .

73's have verticle front grill lights where the 71's and 72's have horizontals. 71 and 72 taillights have black around the lenses where 73's are all chrome (although all aftermarket ones are only chrome) The bumpers on the 73 have the 5 mph impact bumpers.

The 71's have Mustang spelled out across the back of the trunk lid. The 72/73's have the smaller script Mustang emblem on the right side of trunk lid.

The 71's have Mustang spelled out across the back of the trunk lid. The 72/73's have the smaller script Mustang emblem on the right side of trunk lid.
My '71 Grande has no markings at the rear, only "Mustang" in

front of the doors. Besides the Grande' emblem behind the rear

side windows there are no other markings on the car. The word

"Mustang" is displayed just behind the front wheel wells.

mike

The legal answer to this question is to look at the first digit of the VIN... 1, 2, or 3. I know of a couple of 73s that look like a 71 or 72.

Most 72s and all 73s had fasten seat belt light on passenger side dash. On Mach 1 gas cap is different 71 vs. 72 & 73. Bumper guards are different 71 & 72 vs. 73. 5 mph front bumper on 73, not on 71-72. Under the hood the differences from year to year become numerous. Chuck

Quick exterior spotting details (some decal differences have been excluded, seeing as the good majority of '71-73 cars I see have been personalized to non-factory specifications in that respect):

1971:

• Honeycomb grille with circular headlight surrounds and single vertical bar with Mustang horse logo centered in grille. ('71-72)
  • Black outline around taillamps ('71-72)
  • Individual "M U S T A N G" lettering on trunk (early-mid '71 production)
  • Only year to offer the 429; hence, only year to have "429 RAM AIR" markings on applicable vehicles.
  • Mach 1 only: Flip-down gas cap
  • Mach 1 + Spring Special Coupe: Honeycomb grille with horizontal lamps. Mustang logo is smaller than standard grille, and has the red/white/blue racing stripes molded into it. Extremely early production may have clear lamp lenses.
  • Boss 351: Available 1971 only.

1972:

• Everything listed as '71/72 above, plus:
  • Single-piece, stylized "Mustang" cursive logo on RH of trunk lid ('72-73)
  • Mach 1 and Exterior Decor Group: Honeycomb grille with horizontal lamps; same as '71.

1973:

• Vertical turn signals in both standard and deluxe grilles, headlights have square molded surround to match the grille
  • Larger urethane front bumper with filler panels at corners (fenders redesigned for fillers), chrome front bumper no longer available.
  • Rear bumper stands away from body farther; filler panels on LH, RH, and center take up the gap. End caps are slightly redesigned to accommodate these filler panels.
  • Rear bumper gains bumper guards permanently. The '73 bumper guards do not extend above the rear bumper, and are centered under the two inner lenses of the taillights, unlike the optional '72 bumper guards
  • Taillamp black outline deleted
  • Examples with accent color will have the lower moulding on the front valance panel mounted halfway up the side of the valance panel as opposed to ALL the way up as on '71/72 examples with the same moulding.
  • Dual exhaust examples (with exception to early 1973 production) have a solid rear valance panel with turndown exhaust tips
  • Mach 1 only: Striping becomes single line down the bodyside, with "MACH 1" on the rear quarter panels.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, now I will know what I am looking at when I see one. Although you don't see many around here. :D

all of the info above comes in very handy when buying parts on Ebay, or online store or even just a person, any people list things as 71-73 but it used on only one or two of the years.

Back