71 or 72?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many differences between 71 and 72, but few that are visible from the exterior. Most that have been mentioned are simply bolt on items that can often get swapped during a restoration.

The lower body bright trim was standard equipment on all 71-72 Mach 1s, but was deleted if the side stripes were ordered. A car with side stripes and bright trim is a dead giveaway that the car was not optioned with stripes from the factory.

As previously stated, the passenger side in-dash seat belt warning light wasn't used until 1/1/72.

My first step would be to spring for a Deluxe Marti Report, which will give you the dates and options that car was manufactured with. You can then cross reference that information with the options currently on the car. A careful inspection will almost always turn up traces of the original paint color, and few people that rebody are good enough to eliminate all of them. You can also look at the date codes on the sheet metal stampings, and determine if they fall within an acceptable range preceding assembly of the car.

Buying a VIN swapped car can be a potential minefield down the road. It's your call, but I personally wouldn't do it.

My 2 biggest downsides for me is its a slush box & it don't have staggered shocks.
Are you saying somebody's selling a "mach1" but it doesn't have the staggered rear shocks? I was under the impression those came standard on all the mach1s.

And I agree with looking for the partial VIN under the driver's fender, and on the buck tag if possible. The first and last digits of the VIN are under the driver fender. The sequential build number under the fender should match whats on the dash.

I have a 72 inherited from my father, He ordered the mustang on 10/71. I checked and the mustang does not have a passenger side seat belt light/indicator.

Are you saying somebody's selling a "mach1" but it doesn't have the staggered rear shocks? I was under the impression those came standard on all the mach1s.

Only the 4V engine equipped 71-73 cars received staggered shocks. The staggered shock setup was tied to the engine option, not the model. For example, an F or H code Mach 1 will have Competition Suspension with non-staggered shocks, but a Q-code Grande' will have a CS package that includes staggered shocks and a rear sway bar.

Only the 4V engine equipped 71-73 cars received staggered shocks. The staggered shock setup was tied to the engine option, not the model. For example, an F or H code Mach 1 will have Competition Suspension with non-staggered shocks, but a Q-code Grande' will have a CS package that includes staggered shocks and a rear sway bar.
My H code 73 mach1 came with staggered shocks. It is not shown as a separate option on the marti report.

My H code 73 mach1 came with staggered shocks. It is not shown as a separate option on the marti report.

If they're factory installed, that's an unusual mistake. 2V cars were all intended to have the standard rear shock arrangement.

A Mach 1 will not normally show Competition Suspension or any of it's components on a Marti report, as it is standard equipment for the model. A base car such as a coupe or convertible will.

1686581235470.png

1686581267692.png

Thanks guys the only reason I thought it might be a VIN swapped car was the lack of the seat belt light. I was under the wrong impression that all 72s had it. I am now thinking the car is exactly what he says it is. It does have the bright strips, no hockey sticks, but a black paint on hood with factory ram air. The engine & tranny have been changed, factory was 351-2V, now a 429 & C6, 429 looks heavily worked over, aluminum heads, etc. Pretty car red with black deluxe interior, sport deck rear seat. There are some pretty heavy scuff marks on the drivers side rear armrest area from loading cargo in the past. He's asking 40K for it. I'm thinking maybe 30.

I've heard you can make a functional staggered shock set up pretty easily using 1 maverick shock perch & welding a bar across the top for a mount? Not gonna look right but hey its hid underneath. I bet its still got 351 front springs in it. But the aluminum heads & no air help with that I bet.

Hey 70cobrascj...Your comment about one of your cars having two verticle grille supports, and another one only having one, was a conversation I had just this weekend. Machattack, here on the boards, has a '71 that has two verticle supports, whilst my '71, has only one. I made a comment about that to him. Is the common consensus that this occured commonly, or randomly in production , and that either my car is wrong, or they're both right? Seems a silly question, huh?

My 72 is an early production (8/71). My consecutive build number starts with 109. I have a factory flip open gas gap and no passenger side seat belt light.

Ron

My 72 is from 12/71. It does not have the passenger side seat belt light and there is no evidence that someone has removed it and replaced the dash panel.

Mine is an early production 72 and does not have any provisions for the seatbelt light.

Edit: Build was 11/71 and came with the twist gas cap.

Last edited:
Based on 72 wiring diagrams, the seat belt warning light above the glove box wasn't instituted until Jan. 1, 72 (federal requirement). Earlier 72s, built in the later 4-5 five months of 71 would not have it. 71 Mach 1s used the flip open gas cap. I have read 72s did not as the flip open type were found to be a safety issue (pop open in some type of accidents). The twist on type used on the other Mustang models not having that issue. VIN 144XXX would have been built in Nov. 1971. There may have been some other differences between 71 and 72s that other members are aware.
My 72 was built second week of December 71 and has the seatbelt light

Hey 70cobrascj...Your comment about one of your cars having two verticle grille supports, and another one only having one, was a conversation I had just this weekend. Machattack, here on the boards, has a '71 that has two verticle supports, whilst my '71, has only one. I made a comment about that to him. Is the common consensus that this occured commonly, or randomly in production , and that either my car is wrong, or they're both right? Seems a silly question, huh?
The '71 Mustang used dual vertical hood latch support braces before 6/14/71. After that date, all '71-73 Mustangs used a single vertical hood latch support. And as I have stated before, there will always be fuzzy areas before and after any dated change made on the assembly line. These cars were not built in consecutive serial numbers, so it's possible to have two vehicles with consecutive numbers, yet be built weeks apart.
The service replacement grill had mount holes for the 8182 brackets for both before and after versions of the hood latch support.

1686724819357.png
1686724859315.png

Last edited:
If seller is unwilling to pull a fender off and show a matching VIN then I would walk if price is top dollar. My 72 Spring and 72 Mexican car both had the seat belt light above glove box. Getting some engine casting dates would also be helpful
I'm not aware of anyone selling a well restored car who would be willing to remove a fender for any reason. I sure wouldn't, particularly if the tire kicker isn't paying to do it.

I'm not aware of anyone selling a well restored car who would be willing to remove a fender for any reason. I sure wouldn't, particularly if the tire kicker isn't paying to do it.
The fender doesnt have to come all the way off. But if the seller is not willing to loosen up a few bolts to expose it, you can still fish around with a bright light and a camera/mirror from below. I took these pictures accessing through the driver's wheel well, with the fender still fully installed. You can make out the digits enough to see if they match whats on the dash.
1686752314925.png

Regarding the seat belt light, cars prior to Jan 1, 1972 the wiring diagram (for pre Jan 1 cars) indicates the light was present and had a time delay to turn it off after the ignition was turned on. In the wiring diagram for Jan 1 and forward, the time delay was gone and replaced with a buzzer and a transmission, front passenger seat, and front seat outboard belt retractor switches that turned on the light and annoying buzzer when the ignition was on, the car was in gear (forward or reverse) and one or both of the front seats were occupied without the front outboard lap belt extended on one or both of the occupied seats.

Regarding the seat belt light, cars prior to Jan 1, 1972 the wiring diagram (for pre Jan 1 cars) indicates the light was present and had a time delay to turn it off after the ignition was turned on. s.

The pre-1/1/72 seat belt light was the "belts" light on the driver's side dash panel, next to the headlight switch. It was part of the Deluxe Belts option, and standard on 71-72 convertibles.

Back