Hurricane Isaac was pretty bad down here

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 convertible:
originally an F-code, automatic drivetrain converted to Q-code, 4spd. Many additional mods to interior (late model leather) and exterior (custom silver mist metallic polar white) . Badged as a "Boss 351" clone.
1973 convertible:
all in original condition and driveable. Everthing is functional with the exception of the heater and ac.
Well I just got my internet connection back up. My location went through 2 days of no power, cable, phone and internet access. Cell towers were either overloaded or had restricted service. It was hot, rainy and muggy. Not a lot of fun. We really don't have hurricane parties anymore since Katrina.

I-10 is still closed at Laplace because it is under water. US-61 is still closed and underwater west of New Orleans. I-55 southbound was opened at 8 am with restricted speed because there was still 6 inches of water on the roadway just south of 1-12. Locations just east of where I live got 10 to 15 inches of rain in a 10 hour period. Locations south east of New Orleans were flooded with 10 or more feet of storm surge. I don't know how much of this was reported nationally because all I had access to was local AM radio for the last 72 hours.

My 2 convertibles were safe in my garage. The only damage was the loss of one tree in my backyard. It was far away from the house and garage.

At the height of the storm there was about 75% loss of power in the affected areas of southeast Louisiana. The latest reports now have it at about 40% or less. The sad thing is that it may be many more days before all power is restored.

This may have only been a Cat 1 storm but it moved so slow through the state that the winds and rain were 2 to 3 times longer in duration.

I sure hope this is the last storm for us this season. I hope I didn't bore you with this off topic. It just seems to me that when the Weather Channel doesn't have heavy winds to report in, they leave the area and all is deemed fine now. This storm was not as bad as previous hurricanes but it stuck around for so long that a lot of people are now short on patience.

I'm glad you made it through ok. I'm headed to Houston across I-10 & 12 later today. I hope they have the interstate open up by then. What's that backroads song? lol

As far as I know I-10/I-12 is open all the way through to Mississippi. However, a lot of people are trying to access the causeway at Covington which is creating heavy volumes at that choke point on I-12. You will have to remain on the interstate because most of the off roads in the area are flooded from I-55 all the way to I-59.

hope all you people are o.k through your hurricane as an aside we were on holiday in New Orleans a few years back down in the old square you know where all the tourists end up and got trapped in a bar there due to torrential rain it must have been about 6 inches deep running across the pavement whops sidewalk anyhow looking on the bright side the strawberry daquiris were very nice and bit of a party going on would love to return one day take care mickmatt

Having lived through several huricanes through my daughters experience's (she lived in south Florida for 6 long years) I wish you all the best. I was in New Orleans several years ago and it will never be the same again!

Having lived through several huricanes through my daughters experience's (she lived in south Florida for 6 long years) I wish you all the best. I was in New Orleans several years ago and it will never be the same again!
The wife and I were vacationing in New Orleans with another couple when Katrina was coming in. The hotel manager said they were shutting down all operations and recommended we get the hell out. We got to the airport and managed to get seats on one of the last airplanes out, from there we caught a connecting flight home. A couple of days later we saw the damages to the areas we had just visited and it was mind boggingling. Glad you and your family made it through this one safe Jeff.

Jim

Glad you got out with only the loss of a tree. Hurricanes are awesome power.....but after 6 I'll take one of those over a tornado any day.

Jim... I use to beg my wife on the way to Florida..."lets check out New Orleans" ....I would be denied each time. After Katrina it brought life to what the wife was saying. I've never even given it a second thought since. In fact we would love to ship their people back to their "home"

Gald you came through it okay....I was in New Orleans for work the spring just before Katrina....was mind boggling to see the aftermath knowing what it was like before. I just hope i never get that close to a hurricane!

It is amazing to think all of that water was once in the air, hovering over your head when Bam...down it comes.

Stay dry.

Back