Hurst Shifter Retaining Clip

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Searched and I couldn't find a thread but I need help. Pulled apart my shifter today for 2 problems. I am installing a 1970 shifter boot so I can DD my car and refuse to put the NOS 1971 Rounded Boot I am saving since they are prone to ripping out. But I ran into another problem which I have known about for a while. The clip that holds in my shifter has been broken for a long time. Problem is looking through the Ford Shop Manual and online hasn't helped me at all. All the shop manual shows is how to get the shift lever out with shim stock. 4 Speed Top Loader Transmission with the Rectangle Shift Lever

The little pressure clip that holds the shifter lever in place is gone. Guessing it broke years ago before I got the car. If I pull to hard IE bang gears the lever pulls right out.

Where can I get this clip or what do I have to get to replace it?

Oh and thanks Don for another easy to bolt in part. Shifter Boot was a spot on fit, not original but works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
So still looking and google is not being very helpful. So far other than a few threads on other boards of how much of a pain in the butt it can be to get apart if it gets some rust inside I haven't found much about replacing them. Found the auction below but it has absolutely no information on what they fit. Sent a message to the seller(Hurst).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HURST-OEM-Slip-IN-4-Speed-Handle-STICK-ISOLATORS-CLIPS-2-Each-for-One-Handle-/281116478886?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4173d90da6&vxp=mtr#ht_1128wt_1091

Can't help on the clip

They did have a lower boot hard to find - not being made

Can't help on the clip

Would a 1970 boot work like the upper fits. Not correct for the year but this is for a driver.

Also Hurst sent me an email stating those clips are the correct ones for OE slip fit shifter. So mid way through vacation I will order them so they will arrive when I get home.

Also OMS is kicking ass on parts next I need to order the weather strip kit

Can't help on the clip

Would a 1970 boot work like the upper fits. Not correct for the year but this is for a driver.

Also Hurst sent me an email stating those clips are the correct ones for OE slip fit shifter. So mid way through vacation I will order them so they will arrive when I get home.

Also OMS is kicking ass on parts next I need to order the weather strip kit
Thanks

On the lower boot...

Well if I ever get to save some cash to do my 71 - I'll be able to tell you if the lower boot fits :)

I would think it would / should - same trans - pretty sure it is the same shifter - same back up light switch

The 70 lower boot also fits 71 !

Have a 70 boot on my 71 Mach 1.

Just wanted to follow this up with yes the clips in the second post from Hurst are the proper 4-Speed Shifter Clips. Info below for future people searching.

Part Brand: HURST

Manufacturer Part Number: 1263705 1613706

Interchange Part Number: HUU-1263705 HUU-1613706

Other Part Number: 530-126-3705 530-161-3706

Last edited by a moderator:
Back