I Hate My Mufflers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same problem when I installed the new dual exhaust system on my 71 Mach 1, 351C. I was shocked how loud the turbo mufflers were that came with the kit. I instantly realized that the freshly restored car would never pass technical inspection with those things when applying for registration.

I read a little bit on the web and decided to try it with a pair of Walker 17190 SoundFX mufflers. I ordered them from Rockauto for $40 each.

The car passed inspection and is registered for traffic now, they sound nice and powerful and the car drives with a very acceptable sound level inside when on the road.

A slight modification to the center pipes is neccessary because the Walker mufflers are a little longer than the mufflers from the exhaust kit, which I think is from Scott Drake. Approximately 2 inches have to be cut off the pipes to make the mufflers fit. Input/output dia is 2 1/4".

My car also has a very good soundproofing with Dynamat and additional textile sound dampening material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quiet + high flow => Walker RV mufflers (recreational vehicle,i.e. camper for our international readers). These will quiet down a Ford 460.

Mild rumble + high flow => double walled Dynomax.

I've used the Dynomax in the 65 vert (351w at the time) and thought that there wasn't enough rumble. Now that I'm a bit older a little mild rumble is better IMHO and the Dynomax mufflers are perfect.

after reading about all the problems caused by Flowmaster for years on various forums, i went with Turbo mufflers.

i'm pretty happy with them, they are only really loud when i stomp on it.

2.5" Thrush Sonic Turbos on my 429 & it's much quieter than I expected it to be. They are compact but do the job, at a very low price.

I considered the 40 series Flowmasters for my 351 C but I decided they were way too loud on other cars I heard. I installed Flowmaster 50 series 2 1/2" inlet 2 1/2" outlet. Aggressive sound but they are quiet enough to cruise comfortably.

Back