I surprise myself

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Qcode mach1
Last week after a trip to the dump my old 97 Ranger decided to not start. It's old and has refused to start in the past but this time it just cranked no start every day I tried it. Last year it got a new fuel pump and sender. I assumed the China built pump choked and puked. So today I decided to do some troubleshooting because I really need my little red ranger. First I tried to start it again, no go so I pressed the pressure valve on the fuel rail, no spray of fuel so I had a clue. Checked the big fuse and the relay, all good. Checked the inertia relay under the dash and it wasn't tripped. Probed the wires and had power going in but not coming out, Got my twenty foot jumper wire and connected to the battery and probed the black/pink wire to the pump. Heard the pump buzz and hit the key, bada bing bada boom we have ignition. so I did a temp jumper till I can get a new inertia switch. Time elapsed one hour, did I make book on the job? And I didn't have to pull the bed for he third time.

Last week after a trip to the dump my old 97 Ranger decided to not start. It's old and has refused to start in the past but this time it just cranked no start every day I tried it. Last year it got a new fuel pump and sender. I assumed the China built pump choked and puked. So today I decided to do some troubleshooting because I really need my little red ranger. First I tried to start it again, no go so I pressed the pressure valve on the fuel rail, no spray of fuel so I had a clue. Checked the big fuse and the relay, all good. Checked the inertia relay under the dash and it wasn't tripped. Probed the wires and had power going in but not coming out, Got my twenty foot jumper wire and connected to the battery and probed the black/pink wire to the pump. Heard the pump buzz and hit the key, bada bing bada boom we have ignition. so I did a temp jumper till I can get a new inertia switch. Time elapsed one hour, did I make book on the job? And I didn't have to pull the bed for he third time.
Good for you! Well done. Chuck

I know your pain, it seems like every time I've had to change an in-the-tank fuel pump I had to drop the tank, no access from above.

Good to hear you got it trouble shot before you pulled the bed to get access. I'm a real proponent of checking the easy stuff first. And yes, I did have to learn this the hard way.

Back