ID Tag

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm1952

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Cleaning and painting my engine compartment while waiting on the engine rebuild. Can someone let me know where the ID tag goes. I am sure it was in the wrong place and was held on with only one screw even though it had two holes. Thanks

View attachment 38141

Cleaning and painting my engine compartment while waiting on the engine rebuild. Can someone let me know where the ID tag goes. I am sure it was in the wrong place and was held on with only one screw even though it had two holes. Thanks
Here you go...

Here you go...

Thanks. Mine was mounted on the opposite side above the odd shaped hole.

Here you go...

Thanks. Mine was mounted on the opposite side above the odd shaped hole.
 So was mine.... or what was left of it.

Mine was also on the passenger side, I added the second screw (I'm not worried about concourse).

They are commonly called the buck tag.
The screw was about all that was left of mine, not enough to get a replacement made although I still maybe able to order one from Marti

rdm1952, the buck tag for the majority of 72-73's I've seen have been on the driver side like Jeff illustrated. All 71's I've dealt with had the tag on the passenger side. Unless your doing a concourse restoration, Don C's suggestion about a second screw is a good idea. The tags are very thin and easily damaged as you can see from what's left of the one on my "Money Pit #2" project car!

tag.jpg

rdm1952, the buck tag for the majority of 72-73's I've seen have been on the driver side like Jeff illustrated. All 71's I've dealt with had the tag on the passenger side. Unless your doing a concourse restoration, Don C's suggestion about a second screw is a good idea. The tags are very thin and easily damaged as you can see from what's left of the one on my "Money Pit #2" project car!
 Yup! that's about all I had left as well.

Interesting to know that 72-73 were different than 71's from Dearborn. Must have been something to do with easier access to the workers on the line, would be my best guess.

Back