Identifying Headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverback

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
I'm guessing that hooker and headman long tube headers are probably the most common on these cars- mine came with a set installed. I need to put an exhaust on the car, and got the pypes stainless kit, which has the head pipes in front of the X that you trim and adjust for the collector location. The headers are fairly rusted but in OK shape, so I'm not replacing them now, but would like to figure out what they are- I'm trying to avoid having to redo the exhaust when I replace them.

I know that Hookers tend to have hookers ID plate on them, where is that located on the 71-73 headers (I haven't seen one on mine, but don't know that I've taken a really hard look at them either)? Any other ways of identifying the others (other project cars that I've dealt with seem like the headers fit dramatically differently and once you've seen a few of the headers it's pretty easy to pick out what you're looking at)?

Hooker usually puts the tag after the first bend on a straight section of one primary tube, visible for free advertisement :).

I have a set of used SBF headers that have a 3 digit number stamped on the collector (or gasket flange, can't remember) that corresponds to a Dynomax part number suffix. Maybe other manufacturers do the same, dunno.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is just surface rust you could have them blasted and coated now to save money (to spend on another car part) in the future/ Just a thought. Chuck

Does anyone make 4v headers that aren't full length? I have a set of mid length for my Windsor that are the perfect length.

Back