incorrect Mach 1 Striping etc

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm confused. You guys are saying that NO 1971 Mach 1's came with the standard hood, but the brochure says "Unique hood with twin NASA-type hood scoops, OPTIONAL AT NO EXTRA COST ON MACH 1 WITH STANDARD ENGINE" (capitals are mine for emphasis). That tells me that there is the possibility that 1971 Mach 1's came with the standard hood, not the NASA hood. I'm not saying they did, but the possibility remains IF the Mach 1 came with the 302-2V. Unless I missed something in a previous post.

I'm confused. You guys are saying that NO 1971 Mach 1's came with the standard hood, but the brochure says "Unique hood with twin NASA-type hood scoops, OPTIONAL AT NO EXTRA COST ON MACH 1 WITH STANDARD ENGINE" (capitals are mine for emphasis). That tells me that there is the possibility that 1971 Mach 1's came with the standard hood, not the NASA hood. I'm not saying they did, but the possibility remains IF the Mach 1 came with the 302-2V. Unless I missed something in a previous post.
GREAT observation, Steve!

Since the relevant "Facts" books for both the 1972 & 1973 Mach 1s cite a foot note stating the the 302 2V equipped Mach 1 have the "scoops" as a "no cost option", perhaps the information on Page 13 of the 1971 Fact book is incomplete since there is no foot note.

An original owner with a non-scooped 1971 Mach 1 speaking up would be definitive, in my opinion:).

Let the conversation continue!

BT

i am guessing that when dealers ordered 1971 inventory (as opposed to customer ordered cars) many ordered them without giving a lot of thought to the entirely new model options. A dealer may have just put in an order for a "red car for the showroom" and whoever actually put in the order may not have stipulated a ram hood. it could have been the dealership owners wife, or an older owner who thought the plain hood was better for his Torino and LTD customer base.it WAS a free option. But nonetheless, an option. Why did 429's come with dog dish/trim ring 14" wheels? We know that you could not specify Cleveland vs Windsor, another anomaly of FMC in those days. I have never acrually seen a 3speed manual but i know they existed. Anyone ever see pics of the pair of Wimbledon White 429 coupes Ford made for Firestone corporation tire testing? I think they had highway gears and c6's. But had manual steering...on a 429! i have looked for pic's recently but couldnt find any. i only mention because i am never surprised when i see unusual 70's cars. And i dont't think a free option always resulted in that option being on the car, despite how strange it might seem to us. AC on a convertible? Who would need AC on a vert? answer- EVERYONE! but mine came with no AC, and a 351c on a cruiser with 2.73 hwy gears? why? why not a 302? And why would a 429 come with a C6? wouldnt bigblock street drivers want the toploader? Unless it was for a dedicated drag racer. and then it should have 4:11's...but 429/c6's came with hwy gears also. Need to get across ohio in a hurry? here's your car! funny how stuff ends up being built...it's a great country!

yes AC wasnt a free option, i know that. but you got the point i hope. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after even more study - Page C-11 "Mustang Standard Features" if you look at the selections marked by the "X" - for Mach 1 BOTH regular hood and ram air hood are selected. Of course this only adds more confusion to the mix. I would say my next move will be to review some Marti reports an/or Eminger invoices for some 1971 Mach 1's equipped with the 302-2v. If "RAM AIR HOOD" is listed under option with no cost, that might help clear this up. I am with most of you in agreeing if it is a no cost option - who wouldn't check that box?

But the other part that I originally mentioned stated the ram air hood as standard equipment for the Mach 1. To me, standard equipment means they all received this equipment unless an option or "option group" was selected.

As I said the Marti's should help us a whole lot on this one!

Thanks for everyone that is trying to help figure this one out.

Ray

Only Mach1's with a 4 bbl and duals should have come with the cut outs for obvious reasons. The cutouts would look pretty silly on a single exhaust 302 or 351C 2 bbl Mach1. If your single exhaust Mach1 came with cutouts that just seems strange. I know my 2nd Mach1, a 3512v did not have them and I do not think my 1st one back when I bought it in 1976 did either. Of course the ram-air on a 2bbl Mach1 did not make any sense either but we know the story behind that. Remember folks, the Mach1 option was a dress up option, not a performance option as you could order in any engine in any body style (except for the 71 Boss 351). You could even get a 429 in 71 in a coupe or convertible or a 351HO with a 4 speed in any body style in 72. The only obvious thing to note is a Mach1 never came with a six banger until 1974 but that'a whole different story.

And yes - those stripes are hideous. Don't people know you can buy the correct ones and not mess with painting them on all wrong.

OK The lone 302-2v 71 Mach 1 with Marti listed belongs to Tecman.

And under "features ordered with" is listed

"NASA type hood scoops"

hmmm.

So possibly a 71 Mach 302-2v could have been ordered and delivered with the standard (body colored) hood. This was only possible by not checking the order box for "NASA type hood scoops".

So far this is all I have to go on. But I'm not necessarily giving up - just think a beer with my name on it is shouting from the 'fridge!

::beer::

Ray

Only Mach1's with a 4 bbl and duals came with the cut outs for obvious reasons. The cutouts would pretty silly on a single exhaust 302 or 351C 2 bbl Mach1. Remember folks, the Mach1 option was a dress up option, not a performance option as you could order in any engine in any body style (except for the 71 Boss 351). You could even get a 429 in 71 in a coupe or convertibles or a 351HO with a 4 speed in any body style in 72. The only obvious thing to note is a Mach1 never came with a six banger until 1974 but that'a whole different story.

And yes - those stripes are hideous. Don't people know you can the correct ones and not mess with painting them on all wrong.
Great info. Thanks Vamach1.

Ray

So possibly a 71 Mach 302-2v could have been ordered and delivered with the standard (body colored) hood. This was only possible by not checking the order box for "NASA type hood scoops".
We have exactly one 1971 302 Mach 1 in the registry (1F05F230019) that carries what appears to be a factory standard hood. Owner "Dozerdave" claims that it is in original condition, though it has dealer-added hockey-stick stripes and Mach 1 decals in strange locations - I suspect a repaint:

Vehicle page: http://www.7173mustangs.com/registry.php?action=view&gid=172

post_1648_1346798100_0bbf4ac236d519d0f3cd968f66f3e495.attach

post_1648_1346798013_044cfd2cb1925b82c8e157b4104da610.attach

post_1648_1346798061_e27b9b36f3d5e04023243b9c2f386e72.attach

Someone ought to order the Marti on this thing - if it confirms the standard hood, it'll be sufficient proof that the NASA hood was a no-cost option.

-Kurt

My 71 mach1 came from factory with 302 2v. It does have the naca hood. It also has the cutouts for the exhaust but not sure if it came with duals from factory. I need to get a marti just for the heck of it. It has the deluxe interior with woodgrain doorpanels, 3 center gauges, tach, but had the short console?? whats up with that?? Also came with c4, 8 inch, standard shocks, and 3.00 open carrier and manual drum brakes. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Yeah, I think the data about what 'did' and what 'did not' come on these cars is a little less exact than is believed.

My '71 H-code (351C-2V) came with rear valance cut-outs and power disc brakes. That directly contradicts the popular thinking that's been commented on already.

It also had Ram-Air, speedometer w/clock cluster, no A/C, rear window defroster, power steering, tilt column w/2-spoke rim-blow wheel, center gauges w/map light, non-staggered shocks, no rear sway bar, deluxe interior w/black & gray Mach 1 seats, and no console at all. Also came with an FMX and 3.00 rear gears.

I'm thinking these things that 'did not' come with particular models were probably options that could be ordered despite original equipment packages. That certainly makes more sense than trying to explain why my car has certain things when according to popular opinion, they could not be had on a lowly H-code.

I still need to order a Marti as well, but I'm convinced these things came from the factory based on how the hillbillies that owned it before abused and applied so much 'Redneck Engineering.' After all, why go to the trouble of adding a factory cut-out valance when installing the glass packs and dual exhaust after all the other oddities they came up with?

Back on Topic: the car suffers from having a non-informed painter... and a used car salesman as a seller. It looks great, otherwise!

My 71 mach1 came from factory with 302 2v. It does have the naca hood.
Thank you for calling it a NACA hood! Yes, the agency is called NASA these days. But it was NACA when the technology was developed. Racers and other users of the technology still call 'em NACA ducts.

It's just as bad [to me] as hearing someone say, "Richard Petty is a 7-time Sprint Cup champion." Ummm - no, he isn't. He is a 7-time Winston Cup champion. Unless Sprint sent someone to his home and swapped out all his trophies for new ones that have the new sponsor on them, they are what they are when they're won.

But the factory advert above listed the hood as a "nasa" hood, and Eisenhower changed the agency name from naca to nasa in '58. I guess i call them nasa hoods because Ford did. Same for "sport roof" and "deluxe interior".

Btw, Petty has 5 Winston Cups. Prior to '71 it was the Grand National series. Petty won 2 of those.

Eric, everything on your car would be correct as it could have been ordered with those items, except

rear valance

no mini or full size console

Both those things are easily changed

Mini console was standard as it had the ash try in it

Long console was an option

I'm on the NASA side - Ford called it a NASA hood

I find this thread very interesting. I am waiting on my marti report right now.

As far as my car goes, it had the factory exhaust on it when I bought it (351 4v) but doesn't have exhaust cutouts. Were the cutouts a Mach 1 only thing?

Cool thread with lots of interesting questions...I will add one to the list that is similar to Buddy's post.

73 Mach 1's 4V and dual exhaust built in 1972 had Mach 1 tips and cut outs on rear valance. Beginning 1/1/73 as a result of stricter noise laws, all 73s built after this date used turn downs instead of tips...

My question is...did the 73s with turn downs use a rear valance WITH CUTOUTS or NO CUTOUTs??

Thanks to everyone for sharing info!

Jeff

My question is...did the 73s with turn downs use a rear valance WITH CUTOUTS or NO CUTOUTs??
The great majority of dual-exhaust '73 Machs that I've seen that appear to carry the stock exhaust setup do not have cutouts.

You can be sure that someone will be able to counter this :p

-Kurt

I can say DEFINITIVELY that my 1973 351 CJ Mach 1 did not come with the cut outs as I have owned it since Day 1:).

Of course, I should state that it was an "Export" order as I was stationed in the Republic of the Philippines when it was built and shipped to me.

BT

yeah the stripe is all wrong on the hood cause of course they don't have proper stripes on the hood. And am I missing something or are the door panels incorrect (cause my mach and a few others that I know of have different ones)

@cudak888, yes I can, I will tell you my mach was originally a single exhaust 351C, but is still a completely LEGIT MACH 1 even though it did not have the cutouts

@cudak888, yes I can, I will tell you my mach was originally a single exhaust 351C, but is still a completely LEGIT MACH 1 even though it did not have the cutouts
I'm referring to 1973 351C 4V cars w/dual exhaust, not '72s with singles.

Since you mentioned it though, one of the spotted details from Diamonds are Forever is that one of the cars used in the parking lot scene appears to be a 1971 Mach 1 with a 302, single exhaust and no cutout.

-Kurt

Back