incorrect Mach 1 Striping etc

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the original valance I pulled off my '71 H-code. The cut-outs are symmetrical, appear to be consistently flared by a stamper, and even have subtle concave impressions around the cut-out part that are WAY too consistent to be a hillbilly add-on. In other words: looks like a factory piece to me. But how can that be if it wasn't available on a lowly H-code? :huh:

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a douche or anything... I just don't think the 'is' and 'is not' available information is as concrete as we're supposed to believe. There have been too many odd things like that found on my car that contradicts it.

oldvalance.jpg

39880_148084851869108_4816418_n.jpg

The only reason I won't be re-using it is because the mounting tabs on the inside rusted through and stayed on the factory quarters when I removed them (that's a subtle hint, Don [OMS] :D ).

Great thread and a lot of good debate here.

Tommy the disc brakes being standard on convertibles started in 73
That's right, even my 6 cylinder 73 convert came with disc brakes standard.

Eric,

I don't think you are being a douche. You are a dedicated Mustang enthusiast and I am glad you are here with us!

>>>

While attending a Shelby meet in about 1980 a bunch of my friends and I noticed how common it was for Mustangs and Shelbys to have stuff added that while cool looking - wasn't really correct for the cars. Back then no one really worried much about that stuff for our 71-3 cars. Shelby owners were starting to care.

But now as we try to better understand how the cars rolled off the assembly line, we use the best tools we have. Good examples are: current owners and their discoveries with their cars and info they have received from other owners, factory dealer and salesman books, related order forms, enthusiast magazines/books, original owner recollections as well as recounts from those that have experienced the cars in one way or another (friend or family member had one, etc.).

Back in the mid 70's these cars were much easier to find. I know DUH... Yes - I was there. And salvage yards WERE always a great place to find cool parts. (Sometimes the swap meets were great too but remember this was WAY before anything like ebay or craigslist...) All the neat stuff could be found - ram air hoods and related under hood pieces, rev limiters, tilt wheel columns, rim blow steering wheels, front disk brake setups, 4 speeds and pedal setups, good sway bars, staggered shock plates, 9 inch trac-lock rear ends, 31 spline axles, power window setups, consoles, deluxe interior door panels, good un-cracked dash pads, tach and gauge setups, honeycomb back tailight panels, pop open gas caps, rear exhaust valence with cutouts, & chrome exhaust tips just to name a few... LOL And dealerships still could get parts – I remember buying a complete ram air under-hood setup at Fred Jones Ford in OKC. I bet lots of guys on here can trump me on that one! My point here is that parts were added and swapped around a lot! And Hillbillys went to salvage yards too – heck some even owned two or three! LOL

Having a cool Mustang or any muscle car commonly meant you mounted big N-50-15's in the back and added air shocks to keep them from rubbing the wheel lips. Unfortunately, back then, my 67 Camaro and 69 Chevelle got that or very similar treatment. Oh yeah - can't forget traction bars!

It was rare back then to find a pony car of any make that didn't have dual exhaust added if not originally equipped. Heck the dealers would refer you to a local muffler shop who they used. The only ones that (usually) didn't have this mod were 6 cylinder equipped cars. Now if you are one who has an all-original car's exhaust that has not been altered or kept stock, I am happy for you if that is what you want. Unmodified cars are rare finds these days. Anyway-- You could usually spot the Mustangs that had 'duals' added because they exited straight out the back below a standard valence OR they ran through the cutouts without the factory chrome tips. Cherry Bombs were the brand of glass-packed mufflers we liked to run back then - soon after that the Turbo type were popular as they offered more horsepower/less backpressure and seemed to last a little longer. Yes, there were cool mufflers before Flowmasters! I remember all my friends ran dual exhaust if they had a V-8 anything including pickups!

Because so much time has passed and these cars have sometimes been through many different dealers/owners, it is not unreasonable to conclude modifications have been made. I’m sure there are many other examples of modifications that are common with our cars like 2-4bbl conversions...

Build what you want and how you want it. There are many great modded cars out there. And there are some really great original cars as well. I seem to find something I like in all of them.

Ray

I'm referring to 1973 351C 4V cars w/dual exhaust, not '72s with singles.

Since you mentioned it though, one of the spotted details from Diamonds are Forever is that one of the cars used in the parking lot scene appears to be a 1971 Mach 1 with a 302, single exhaust and no cutout.

-Kurt

All original 72 CJ equipped cars I've seen have the dual exhausts turning down just below the rear (non cutout) valence similar to the Boss 302/351's.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
2ndmachsmall.JPG

Not to beat this issue to death but it would make sense that the only cars with the valence cutouts were 3514v or 429 cars that came with the chrome tips? We all agree a single exhaust car with one chrome tip would look weird and the same logic in my mind in a H code having the cutouts with w/o the tips. But hey - my 72 Mach1 had a 71 style gas gap so I guess anything is possible.

I know - I know - the louvers were not stock on my car. It did only have the Mach1 decals w/o the hockey stick stripes, but had ram air and a fold down seat, and was a H code single exhaust non cutout valence car.

I don't think that 4x4 Mustang in the background is stock either.

hands up who had to fix the 2 screw holes left by some PO who had the mandatory cb radio installed in the 80's. Mine was in the centre cluster.
:D

I still have my CB bracket under the glove box, I took the CB out just before beginning the prep for the new paint, but did not want to put the CB back in because I did not want to screw the paint up with the antenna. I'll have to look now, but I think I used existing screws to mount the CB bracket back in the day!

Cool thread with lots of interesting questions...I will add one to the list that is similar to Buddy's post.

73 Mach 1's 4V and dual exhaust built in 1972 had Mach 1 tips and cut outs on rear valance. Beginning 1/1/73 as a result of stricter noise laws, all 73s built after this date used turn downs instead of tips...

My question is...did the 73s with turn downs use a rear valance WITH CUTOUTS or NO CUTOUTs??

Thanks to everyone for sharing info!

Jeff
My 73 as proven by paint removal came with the cutouts.

While I would not suggest everyone go out and drill holes in their cars to mount an array of cb radio antennas- LOL

CB's can be very useful to keep in touch when cruising with a group of cars to a show or swap meet. I have a cigarrette lighter plug on an old cb radio. Works great. Cell phone use can get spotty - cb's not too bad if you can get on a channel away from the trucker chat.

You can get magnetic mount antennaes but be sure and attach some felt or soft fabric under the base and realize the magnets are not rated for high speed runs!

Ray

My 73 as proven by paint removal came with the cutouts.

Mark - :huh:

I guess first step would be to see the date of manufacture for your car to see if that date posted earlier holds up.

And

Please forgive my confusion but how does paint removal and evidence of color, coatings or primer indicate assembly line installed equipment vs equipment added? Maybe a good questions for a paint/bodyman?

Thanks,

Ray

Eric,

I don't think you are being a douche. You are a dedicated Mustang enthusiast and I am glad you are here with us!
Thanks for that. I'm sure some were getting aggravated by my insistence. I'm not always right, and I know that.

Because so much time has passed and these cars have sometimes been through many different dealers/owners, it is not unreasonable to conclude modifications have been made. I’m sure there are many other examples of modifications that are common with our cars like 2-4bbl conversions...

My point here is that parts were added and swapped around a lot! And Hillbillys went to salvage yards too – heck some even owned two or three! LOL
OK - I can concede to the idea of the valance possibly being swapped, even though it's completely out of character for everything I've discovered on this car. If it was done, it was probably done early - as you can see by the number decals on the rear plate, this car was parked sometime in 1980-81. 9 years seems like a long time, but not so much when we're talking about 'car years.'

Having a cool Mustang or any muscle car commonly meant you mounted big N-50-15's in the back and added air shocks to keep them from rubbing the wheel lips. Unfortunately, back then, my 67 Camaro and 69 Chevelle got that or very similar treatment. Oh yeah - can't forget traction bars!

>

Cherry Bombs were the brand of glass-packed mufflers we liked to run back then - soon after that the Turbo type were popular as they offered more horsepower/less backpressure and seemed to last a little longer. Yes, there were cool mufflers before Flowmasters! I remember all my friends ran dual exhaust if they had a V-8 anything including pickups!

Ray
You nailed mine to a 'T.' Some of the first things I noticed when walking around the car (wondering what I'd gotten myself into) after I'd brought it to the shop were: Blackjack headers, dual Cherry Bombs, Lakewood traction bars, air shocks, and "chrome nugget" wheels. Some of the hillbilly mods include: "Miller High Life" beer caps wrapped around all the knobs, custom (mangled) speaker cut-outs w/20-gauge speaker wires, 5/16" plate steel 'custom' air shock mounts, chain & angle iron forward fuel tank hanger, electrical tape door striker bushings, things like that. Fortunately, no .22 shell casings (or complete cartridges) as fuses - but I DID look.

Mister 4x4 Wrote:

You nailed mine to a 'T.' Some of the first things I noticed when walking around the car (wondering what I'd gotten myself into) after I'd brought it to the shop were: Blackjack headers, dual Cherry Bombs, Lakewood traction bars, air shocks, and "chrome nugget" wheels. Some of the hillbilly mods include: "Miller High Life" beer caps wrapped around all the knobs, custom (mangled) speaker cut-outs w/20-gauge speaker wires, 5/16" plate steel 'custom' air shock mounts, chain & angle iron forward fuel tank hanger, electrical tape door striker bushings, things like that. Fortunately, no .22 shell casings (or complete cartridges) as fuses - but I DID look.

You coulda just left it alone as a HILLBILLY BARN FIND! (except for the chain for supporting the gas tank!) rofl Some of the retro look is still neat for a modded car but please NO SHAG CARPET!

Oh yeah - I'm not always right either. But please don't tell anyone! :cool:

Ray

since when are the sides stripes that square? Isn't it supposed to be a bit more of a curve? lol

One bid for $12K - reserve not met. I'm guessing there were not a whole lot of 302 Mach1's with a three speed manual tranny.

In 1972 only 1,354 fastbacks came with this combo and 3,407 in 1971 so maybe 50% of those were Mach1's.

Their words in the ad, not mine:

But the repaint is show quality with proper Mach 1 striping and decals.

Value in collector cars is all about the right color combination and original condition. I deal in low mileage, original cars and this is truly a fine example of Ford's most loved cars !!! It is original, unrestored and immaculate... Equipped with a the original 302 V-8, rebuilt with a bore over and competition cam. New clutch to match with the power of the newly

rebuilt engine. Original three speed stick shift.

One bid for $12K - reserve not met.

Their words, not mine.

But the repaint is show quality with proper Mach 1 striping and decals.

Value in collector cars is all about the right color combination and original condition. I deal in low mileage, original cars and this is truly a fine example of Ford's most loved cars !!! It is original, unrestored and immaculate...

Equipped with a the original 302 V-8, rebuilt with a bore over and

competition cam. New clutch to match with the power of the newly

rebuilt engine. Original three speed stick shift.
Yes Vamach1, That (their words) is/was why I went after this one and posted the thread.

I really appreciate everyone who has stepped up to help point out the inconsistencies. It goes a long way to help establish this site's integrity.

Not that we know it all. Not even. But we are willing to research challenges to the understood history. That helps us all.

Learning all the time... (and enjoying every minute of it!)

Ray

Hi all, I have been gone for over a year (again) but this is the year (again) I am getting the Q-code back on the road.

I tend to stay away when I know I do not have time to get on my project. I am back and noticed this thread.

I am a second owner of a flat hooded Mach 1. This car has not been restored. I added it to the registry with the build sheet here:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/registry.php?action=view&gid=214

There are some anomalies wit this car, as it also does not have the cloth insert seats. I spoke with the original owning family and they did have the hood locks added.

~Jim

Latest posts

Back