Installation of idle stop solenoid (kicker, compensator)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanhook99

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang convertible 302, V8
My 1971 Mustang convertible, 302, V8 idles poorly when AC is on. Found out that the solenoid is missing. It looks like the bracket is there. I don't know how to get the part or how to install. It doesn't look hard but I also worry about how to plug it into the electrical. Found what I think is the part on eBay D2AZ-9D856-B.

IMG_1286.JPG

Yes, that is what you are missing and that appears to be the correct one.

Please go to the Introduction section of the forum and introduce yourself and your car. Be forewarned, we like pictures.

Well, howdy from Phoenix.

Quite a few people think that little do-dad is for adding a bit of idle speed when the AC is on. It's actual purpose is an 'anti diesel' solenoid. It engauges when the ignition is in the ON position. When you turn the car off it allows the throttle plates to close just a bit more and avoids dieseling.

You should be able to get the car to idle with the AC on. Maybe crank up the idle speed a litte and check the timing using a vacuum gauge.

That is a super duper sharp looking car you have there. I am talking major sexy looking color indeed. It just POPS with the chrome bumper and front.

Well, howdy from Phoenix.

Quite a few people think that little do-dad is for adding a bit of idle speed when the AC is on.   It's actual purpose is an 'anti diesel' solenoid.  It engauges when the ignition is in the ON position.  When you turn the car off it allows the throttle plates to close just a bit more and avoids dieseling.  

You should be able to get the car to idle with the AC on.  Maybe crank up the idle speed a litte and check the timing using a vacuum gauge.

That is a super duper sharp looking car you have there.   I am talking major sexy looking color indeed.  It just POPS with the chrome bumper and front.

I'm going to try that before shelling out more money. It originally had Motorsport supposedly but with a V8 I thought it odd. And thanks, it really makes me happy that is for sure! :)

I just threw that one out as a price comparison. Personally I would go with one of the NOS units on eBay, they are actually less money and will have the power to open the throttle, where the one from Holley will just hold the throttle open.

I assume you have the York compressor. Because the Sanden compressors are more efficient and use less engine power, converting to one of them and R134 would probably not require a throttle kicker, just would cost a lot more, and not look original.

Edelbrock is even more proud of there's:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8059?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-edelbrock&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5arMBRDzARIsAAqmJezGBIW0sjMhZsND_J0H3auNw7Vf-FSViSCiVOxg54b_JZfX-Nof-1oaAsajEALw_wcB

Last edited by a moderator:
Back