Is my Condenser & Air Filter/dryer OK?, how to test?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1 351 ram air
[url=https://ibb.co/R9rNbJs][img]https://i.ibb.co/376vdPj/DSC06636.jpg[/img][/url]
I'm at the point in my project where I need to install the air condenser and air filter/dryer unit.

I plan to get the air going at the end of the project, after the car is together again.

Never had an early mustang with or have I worked on air conditioning.

Been looking at stuff for sale on Original Air.com. to try to get a feel for what it takes to get a dead

air conditioning system going again.  I'll save that post for later. 

So for now,

How do I test my condenser?  Pressure under water?

What was its finish? (previous owner painted everything black, can' tell)

Use Eastwood radiator black?

What about the air filter/ dryer unit? How do I know its condition?

Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

20190401_153236.jpg

I believe the condenser was originally just natural color, but I don't have a/c in mine, so could be wrong.

Yes, pressure test the condenser under water or pressurize it and see if it holds pressure. You can also vacuum test it.

Whenever the a/c system is opened up, and especially been open for a while, the filter/dryer should be replaced. The desiccant will become saturated and no longer able to absorb moisture that may be in the system.

I'm at the point in my project where I need to install the air condenser and air filter/dryer unit.

I plan to get the air going at the end of the project, after the car is together again.

Never had an early mustang with or have I worked on air conditioning.

Been looking at stuff for sale on Original Air.com. to try to get a feel for what it takes to get a dead

air conditioning system going again.  I'll save that post for later. 

So for now,

How do I test my condenser?  Pressure under water?

What was its finish? (previous owner painted everything black, can' tell)

Use Eastwood radiator black?

What about the air filter/ dryer unit? How do I know its condition?

Any advice or thoughts appreciated.
I did my 73 vert AC last year and doing my 73 Mach 1 right now. Test the condenser with air pressure under water. I used a kid swimming pool for mine. They were painted with the satin black like the engine compartment was. The Dryer is also the filter and I was told to replace. I got mine from NPD and it fit fine. For sure clean all the connections with fine steel wool and use the new green 0-rings. Clean the inside of the lines with a brush like you clean a gun with. Wash out and dry for sure. The compressor has two drains that need a new 0-ring and I do not know the name of the other thing screwed into the compressor but is hex and about an inch long. I had to replace the seal on the crankshaft also. I am using Dura Cool for my refrigerant and their lube also. I use mineral oil to lube the o-rings.

Back