Is this part structural?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripper679

Reaction score
Hello all!
So I'm shaking down my car.... I'm running a maier coilover front end kit. That said I have elected to leave both front coil spring cover/ bump stop mounts off the car. It makes it easier for shock adjustments etc... I've included a pic of the part just to clear up any confusion on my description.

Question.....
Am I good leaving this off? Is this part structural to tje engine compartment / shock tower? I don't need the bumpstop feature anymore.

Tony.... you have yours on your track rig still? My car is a lot like yours.

Thanks for the info 7173ers!

You're probably okay leaving them off but you lose the bump stop. Might be better to have the bump stop than risk bottoming the shock or overextended lower suspension components.
Thanks, not to worried about the bumpstops, the JRI coilovers I'm running have them on the shock already, more concerned about the integrity of the shock tower during hard driving.
Thanks!
Manny

The bump stop is built into the coilover so you don't need the external brick anymore. The way I see it is that the covers provide torsional stiffness to the shock tower so I decided to leave my on, but without the bump stop. You can still easily access the shock adjustment knob which is at the bottom where it connects to the UCA. That's assuming you have the JRI shocks as I do. If you like the more open look, you can try the global west reinforcement which has the same function but it is tubular. Back when I looked into it they didn't have them in their website for our years but you can always call. I decided to keep the stock covers.

The bump stop is built into the coilover so you don't need the external brick anymore. The way I see it is that the covers provide torsional stiffness to the shock tower so I decided to leave my on, but without the bump stop. You can still easily access the shock adjustment knob which is at the bottom where it connects to the UCA. That's assuming you have the JRI shocks as I do. If you like the more open look, you can try the global west reinforcement which has the same function but it is tubular. Back when I looked into it they didn't have them in their website for our years but you can always call. I decide to keep the stock covers.
Yeah.... I think I'll follow suit here and do the same then.
Thanks Tony.
For what it's worth.... you have inspired my build many times.

The bump stop is built into the coilover so you don't need the external brick anymore. The way I see it is that the covers provide torsional stiffness to the shock tower so I decided to leave my on, but without the bump stop. You can still easily access the shock adjustment knob which is at the bottom where it connects to the UCA. That's assuming you have the JRI shocks as I do. If you like the more open look, you can try the global west reinforcement which has the same function but it is tubular. Back when I looked into it they didn't have them in their website for our years but you can always call. I decided to keep the stock covers.
I agree, this is most likely a structural piece. Most everything on a unibody car is.
You can see how that it is more than just a simple sheet metal stamping in this clip from the assembly manual. It is composed of two pieces with bends for rigidity.
Apron spring cover.JPG

I agree, this is most likely a structural piece. Most everything on a unibody car is.
You can see how that it is more than just a simple sheet metal stamping in this clip from the assembly manual. It is composed of two pieces with bends for rigidity.
View attachment 94080
Thanks RCadd1ct and Don. I agree. I'll run the piece or order the one from Global west that RC mentioned.
Thanks all!

View attachment 94080
Exactly. It is a way of "boxing" the shock tower.

Back