It ain't coughing no more...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustang_sam

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe (250 inline 6)
Hello everyone!!! I posted a thread a while back titled “Thirsty engine lousy carb” and I was experiencing some coughing problems with my carb. Well I am “delighted” to inform you that the problem has been “solved”. Here is how: Due to the sanctions, the import of additives for the higher octane gasoline to Iran was stopped for a short while. During this time something by the oil company was added to make up for it. I unknowingly filled up my ford mustang tank with this gasoline and the result was that everything in the carb that was non-metal was completely destroyed/dissolved/evaporated (my tune-up guy said that this happened to a number of his customers too)???!!! I am back in the United States (nor cal/bay area) staying for a few months and planning to go back in February. I want to take back some parts for the Mustang (1972 coupe w/351W 2V w/C4 transmission - all stock). I will definitely need a carb and distributor. It is important to mention that the intake manifold on the mustang is for a two barrel carb. If its not too much trouble, I needed some advice here on whether to buy a two barrel (only option I have found so far is the Holley 4412 500cfm) or go with a four barrel setting. That would mean I will also have to purchase an intake manifold (maybe Edelbrock performer??!?!?) to go with a 4-barrel carb of which I haven’t decided on. It is important to mention that my home town where the Mustang is has an elevation of 5200 feet above sea level. I understand that this topic has been posted numerous times so I apologize. For a four barrel carb, based on my limited knowledge I was thinking maybe a Holley 3310 or Edelbrock performer series?!?!?!? What is important is that the carb be easily to adjustable, minimum hassle, and correct CFM.

For the distributor I was thinking the Davis unified ignition street/strip. Btw during the check-out process on their website they ask for weight, cam duration (both advertised and @0.050) and valve lift which for a stock 351W I don’t know what they are (little help please). Other dist. Options are also welcome...

I would greatly appreciate any and all inputs.

Thank you

Sorry for the long post

"What is important is that the carb be easily to adjustable, minimum hassle, and correct CFM"

Too me..That screams Edelbrock performer..Best bolt on and go carb out there i think...One of the best bangs for the buck too..And easiest to tune hands down, if they need any tuning at all....1403-1404 i think are the 500 cfm model numbers electric or manual choke...I use to have one on my mustang..Was the 600 cfm model for my 4v...Great carbs...Holleys are great too..but like mentioned above you should get a jetting kit if you get a holley.

Btw...Glad you found the issues!! New carb is a easy fix..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an Edelbrock Performer with a Holley 600cfm carb and and mild cam, and I love the setup (351C 2v H code).

I have the original 2v intake and carb if you are interested. The car ran great with them.

Thank You for the Carb and intake offers. But for now I will wait to see if they will end up under the Christmas tree or not (let's see if my "mechanically inexperienced" family will get it right this time). My question is that does anybody know whether using an Edelbrock performer 351w #2181 intake manifold and Edelbrock thunder series Avs 650 cfm carb might cause hood clearance problems. I should mention that I will use a very low profile air filter. This is for a 351W in a 1972 mustang coupe. Also any information regarding cam duration (advertised and @0.050) and valve lift for a stock 351W engine will also be greatly appreciated.

Happy Thanks Giving

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure about the Windsor, but on a Cleveland, the performer intake manifold and the thunder series 650 carb sit a bit lower than the stock intake and carb.

I've got an Edelbrock Performer with a Holley 600cfm carb and and mild cam, and I love the setup (351C 2v H code).

I have the original 2v intake and carb if you are interested. The car ran great with them.
want to take back some parts for the Mustang (1972 coupe w/351W 2V w/C4 transmission - all stock).

Doc - Cleveland intake won't fit a Windsor

want to take back some parts for the Mustang (1972 coupe w/351W 2V w/C4 transmission - all stock).

Doc - Cleveland intake won't fit a Windsor
Thanks, Don. I missed the Windsor part the first time around.

Are you saying you want the intake and/or carb? My wife would love it if you do. :p

Back