Jacobs Ignition System

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Spring Edition Coupe
(dressed up as Mach 1) full gauges,
351 Cleveland
Edelbrock Manifold Holley 4 Barrel, Jacobs Ignition system
I installed a Jacobs ignition system and Mallory # 4756701 distributor way back in 1990. I have a 351 Cleveland with two barrel heads. Installed englebrock intake with Holly 4 barrel carb.
The car has always performed well. May frustration is the tach will not register over 1300 rpm.
They (jacob ignition) back then claimed to have a fix and sent me a jumper- didn't work.
Anyone seen this? Any solution?
If not, I am thinking its time to replace ignition system. Any suggestions?
I read the forum almost everyday - best Mustang forum out there.
Any suggestions / help would be appreciated.
Tom

I installed a Jacobs ignition system and Mallory # 4756701 distributor way back in 1990. I have a 351 Cleveland with two barrel heads. Installed englebrock intake with Holly 4 barrel carb.
The car has always performed well. May frustration is the tach will not register over 1300 rpm.
They (jacob ignition) back then claimed to have a fix and sent me a jumper- didn't work.
Tom
I had a similar issue when I recently upgraded to a Pertronix billet distributor - bought an Ignitor III and matching coil, and then was told by Pertronix that the Ignitor II was compatible with the stock tach and that the III was not, so I ordered the II and matching coil, installed it and tach didn’t work.
So I pulled all the gauges, and sent them to RCC Innovations and had the tach and volt meters reworked, and also had the needles repainted on the other gauges. I did take advantage of having the gauges out and replaced the bulbs with blue LED bulbs, replaced the ribbon circuit, voltage regulator, and the plastic lens.
Unfortunately for me, I waited too long and couldn’t return my Ignitor III billet distributor and Flamethrower III, so if interested, its for a 351C/429 (won’t fix your tach issue though!).

If you decide to rework the tach - RCC Innovations did a fantastic job and had a quick turnaround (couple of weeks).

Good luck!

I had a similar issue when I recently upgraded to a Pertronix billet distributor - bought an Ignitor III and matching coil, and then was told by Pertronix that the Ignitor II was compatible with the stock tach and that the III was not, so I ordered the II and matching coil, installed it and tach didn’t work.
So I pulled all the gauges, and sent them to RCC Innovations and had the tach and volt meters reworked, and also had the needles repainted on the other gauges. I did take advantage of having the gauges out and replaced the bulbs with blue LED bulbs, replaced the ribbon circuit, voltage regulator, and the plastic lens.
Unfortunately for me, I waited too long and couldn’t return my Ignitor III billet distributor and Flamethrower III, so if interested, its for a 351C/429 (won’t fix your tach issue though!).

If you decide to rework the tach - RCC Innovations did a fantastic job and had a quick turnaround (couple of weeks).

Good luck!
Thanks Dave, the Jacobs iginition box has an on off . If you turn the high voltage off, the tach works. So, I believe its something to do with he Jacobs ignition system.

I found an old Jacobs troubleshooting guide. It says if you a a series tach (mentions 70s Ford and 240Z), use a series tach drive . Jacobs PN 380228. How you find one I don't know. Chuck

I did purchased and installed the adapter part # 380228. It didn't work. I also took to a good friend who's is a mechanic and races ford mustangs. He couldn't get it to work.
The Ignition system I purchased is part #370416

Jacobs made a slew of different ignition systems. Which one do you have? I have the book they published somewhere.
Ignition System part # is 370416 and the tach drive adapter (the fix) is part # 380228

Tom
My problem is that the tach doesn't move until I rev it or get the idle up when the car is in motion. And when it begins to work it bobs/pulsates until the R's come up then it is fine. I ALSO have a Jacobs unit I installed in 1998 during my Resto. Fast forward to today - my car was in storage since 2001 until December when it shipped to me. So I have again been re-acquainted with the problem. I concluded that back then those Jacobs units were pretty good - I got mine directly from the Jacob's Sls & Mkg VP at that time. But today they are big and bulky and obsolete so this winter I am going to toss mine and go with a Pertronix unit.

Attachments

• Mach 1 Eng 4.JPG
    Mach 1 Eng 4.JPG
    749.7 KB · Views: 0
My problem is that the tach doesn't move until I rev it or get the idle up when the car is in motion. And when it begins to work it bobs/pulsates until the R's come up then it is fine. I ALSO have a Jacobs unit I installed in 1998 during my Resto. Fast forward to today - my car was in storage since 2001 until December when it shipped to me. So I have again been re-acquainted with the problem. I concluded that back then those Jacobs units were pretty good - I got mine directly from the Jacob's Sls & Mkg VP at that time. But today they are big and bulky and obsolete so this winter I am going to toss mine and go with a Pertronix unit.
Thinking of doing the same!

Fowler and Mike, I suggest doing a deep dive on Pertronix before you pull the trigger. I'd do a hidden Duraspark I conversion before any of the Pertronix parts. Chuck

Fowler and Mike, I suggest doing a deep dive on Pertronix before you pull the trigger. I'd do a hidden Duraspark I conversion before any of the Pertronix parts. Chuck
Thanks Will do that!

Back