Jeep to a 72

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franken-Stang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
The Franken-Stang (Just look it makes Sense)
Boss 302 Transplant--Yes someone actually did this
Hi All. Newbie here.

Had always wanted an Early 70's Mustang as a weekend car. So we sold the Wrangler JK and just bought a 72 Mustang Convertible with a 3 speed Auto.

Legend on the Car is that a "Ford Engineer" had dropped a Boss 302 in the vehicle and based on the Pre Purchase inspection they confirmed that the Block was a Boss 302(yeah i was surprised). As they put it the Carb is a "Rather Pedestrian" Edelbrock 4 barrel and has a Boss 302 intake. Valve Covers are 8 bolt--but have not pulled them yet.

Lots of Little things to do on it...but Cruises 65-70 at about 2800-3000 rpm.

Excited to be a part of New Car Community.

Block: D1ZE-6015-BA (3H30)
HEADS: Did not pull Valve Covers...but 8 Bolt Covers.
Carb: Edelbrock 1405 9039
Intake: D1ZE-9424-EA

PS---What is the Mustang Equivalent of a Jeep Wave?

joe

Attachments

• 1972-ford-mustang-convertible1.jpg
    1972-ford-mustang-convertible1.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 1972-ford-mustang-convertible2.jpg
    1972-ford-mustang-convertible2.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1972-ford-mustang-convertible3.jpg
    1972-ford-mustang-convertible3.jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 1972-ford-mustang-convertible4.jpg
    1972-ford-mustang-convertible4.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 1
There isn't one. That jeep wave and rubber duckie stuff is purely jeep guy stuff. None of us normal people will ever understand it.

For for real, if I see a 71-73 mustang out and about, I'm gonna gawk at it. Then either give the owner a point, thumbs up, "nice car", or go talk to the guy.

I guess its different with our cars, since they are more rare. With jeep guys, you can't drive around the block without passing 50 of them. You need some sort of prop like a hand mounted on a stick to wave at them all. Or stick something like this to your dash board. 1695665470444.png

HAHA...Love it!

There might not be a formal Mustang wave like the Jeep, Harley or Vette guys, but I sure get a lot of them from the kids driving their S550s around town here. It's gonna be a thing sooner or later.

Welcome to this great site. You may have a 73 not a 72. The front bumper, grill and wheels are for 73s.
What's up with the fit up of the bumper to the fenders? Looks like still 71-72 fenders. Maybe it was involved in a wreck and had a face lift with 73 parts?

Hi All. Newbie here.

Had always wanted an Early 70's Mustang as a weekend car. So we sold the Wrangler JK and just bought a 72 Mustang Convertible with a 3 speed Auto.

Legend on the Car is that a "Ford Engineer" had dropped a Boss 302 in the vehicle and based on the Pre Purchase inspection they confirmed that the Block was a Boss 302(yeah i was surprised). As they put it the Carb is a "Rather Pedestrian" Edelbrock 4 barrel and has a Boss 302 intake. Valve Covers are 8 bolt--but have not pulled them yet.

joe
That is a nice looking Mustang Convertible. I am sure the Boss 302 that was dropped into it makes it a one of two, as "someone" has a prototype 72 Boss 302 "out there" somewhere. Such a nice engine. Assuming a 26.5" or so tire diameter, running at 3,000 RPM at 70-ish MPH tells me you have a very streetable 3.25:1 rear axle gear set - and likely TractionLok if you are lucky. Fortunately you have a vert, so A/C is not as big a deal as with a non-vert. I am pretty done with non-A/C cars, I even added a Classic Air A/C to our 73 vert with a 302 (conventional Windsor block & heads).

As noted above, the front grill says 1973, but it may have been simply changed over from a 71-72 grill. Regardless, nice looking Mustang. And with a Boss 302 engine, welcome to rarified air. Our 73 Mach 1 has an unusual engine also, but not anywhere near as legendary as yours. Prior owner replaced the original 302 with a moderately built street/strip 351W (not C) with a modest, but punchy 360 HP. He also put in 3.5:1 TractionLok rear axle gears, which made for a very nimble and quick vehicle at lower speeds. We replaced the original C4 with an AOD, making it a wonderful cruiser while retaining its lower end performance. With P235R60 x 15 tires, in 4th OD gear at 60 MPH we are only turning 1,815 or so RPM.

https://youtu.be/_Fl0B-qmlLI

There isn't one. That jeep wave and rubber duckie stuff is purely jeep guy stuff. None of us normal people will ever understand it.

For for real, if I see a 71-73 mustang out and about, I'm gonna gawk at it. Then either give the owner a point, thumbs up, "nice car", or go talk to the guy.

I guess its different with our cars, since they are more rare. With jeep guys, you can't drive around the block without passing 50 of them. You need some sort of prop like a hand mounted on a stick to wave at them all. Or stick something like this to your dash board. View attachment 81800
The near-equivalent to the Jeep Wave is the Bronco Buck, where Bronco owners "buck" each others' vehicles with a bucking Bronco trinket of some kind. I have heard of a "Mustang Wave" that is a casually friendly waving gesture of both acceptance and inclusion into a near-cult-like following. In my case it is accompanied with a "knowing" head nod. If it turns out to be something other than a Mustang Wave that is fine with me. I know I feel good about being part of a "larger than myself" group where the members are all linked by a terrific model vehicle, regardless of the year or specifications.

I did s Google search on "Mustang Wave" and found this, plus a few other articles. So, yeah, the Mustang Wave is apparently a "real thing."

Do Mustang drivers have a wave?

Some people will. Some will give a rev or a head nod. Its not like the Jeepers who will cause a five car pile up trying to wave at another Jeep though.
Jun 18, 2019

Welcome to the 7173 family. It is a great family to be part of. Glad to here you have a fun weekend drive going forward. I have to admit, something does look a little unusual for the front bumper fit. If you are OK with it then it is just fine and you need to go out and enjoy the drive. If you have any questions or would like to share any work you are doing on the car this is a great forum to do so. We strive very hard to keep it respectable, family friendly and hopefully judgement free. With folks that can be a bit deep into the 71-73 cars the chances for feedback are high. Again, welcome and enjoy the drive.

Welcome from West Texas. Interesting car you have there - hopefully, we'll be able to help you sort out what it is you have, and give the seller the business next time you see them (if, that is). The nose kinda reminds me of Eleanor from the original GI60S movie ('73 grille on a '72 car... but with a '72 bumper). If it bugs you, just get a reproduction '71-'72 chrome bumper and swap it on along with a '71-'72 grille, and all will be right in the world again.

The Jeep wave is a thing (my other toy is an '80 CJ-7), not sure about the duck thing, but the thing I've noticed about '71-'73 Mustangs is that I get stopped all the time be people wanting to talk about the car, and the story is always that, "I had a buddy in high school with one of these."

Welcome to this great site. You may have a 73 not a 72. The front bumper, grill and wheels are for 73s.
Hence the Franken-Stang. It has a 73 front that appears to have been added---but the Car is actually a 72---

As My wife says its like the Johhny Cash song One Piece at a time

Thanks

That is a nice looking Mustang Convertible. I am sure the Boss 302 that was dropped into it makes it a one of two, as "someone" has a prototype 72 Boss 302 "out there" somewhere. Such a nice engine. Assuming a 26.5" or so tire diameter, running at 3,000 RPM at 70-ish MPH tells me you have a very streetable 3.25:1 rear axle gear set - and likely TractionLok if you are lucky. Fortunately you have a vert, so A/C is not as big a deal as with a non-vert. I am pretty done with non-A/C cars, I even added a Classic Air A/C to our 73 vert with a 302 (conventional Windsor block & heads).

As noted above, the front grill says 1973, but it may have been simply changed over from a 71-72 grill. Regardless, nice looking Mustang. And with a Boss 302 engine, welcome to rarified air. Our 73 Mach 1 has an unusual engine also, but not anywhere near as legendary as yours. Prior owner replaced the original 302 with a moderately built street/strip 351W (not C) with a modest, but punchy 360 HP. He also put in 3.5:1 TractionLok rear axle gears, which made for a very nimble and quick vehicle at lower speeds. We replaced the original C4 with an AOD, making it a wonderful cruiser while retaining its lower end performance. With P235R60 x 15 tires, in 4th OD gear at 60 MPH we are only turning 1,815 or so RPM.

https://youtu.be/_Fl0B-qmlLI
Sounds great--- love to see picsof yours.

Welcome from West Texas. Interesting car you have there - hopefully, we'll be able to help you sort out what it is you have, and give the seller the business next time you see them (if, that is). The nose kinda reminds me of Eleanor from the original GI60S movie ('73 grille on a '72 car... but with a '72 bumper). If it bugs you, just get a reproduction '71-'72 chrome bumper and swap it on along with a '71-'72 grille, and all will be right in the world again.

The Jeep wave is a thing (my other toy is an '80 CJ-7), not sure about the duck thing, but the thing I've noticed about '71-'73 Mustangs is that I get stopped all the time be people wanting to talk about the car, and the story is always that, "I had a buddy in high school with one of these."
WE love it the way it is....leaving the Franken-Stang as it.

Thanks!!

Hi All. Newbie here.

joe
Welcome from Chicago! Nice looking vert, enjoy! Shame you got rid of the JK but that's a sweet replacement

WE love it the way it is....leaving the Franken-Stang as it.

Thanks!!
Mine was named Frankenstang by my wife back in 2014 or so, since my avatar is what I started with: a rusty pile in the shape of a '71 Mach 1. After a few years of calling it 'The Rustang,' she decided that since I'd removed all the rust, it needed a new name. When I asked why "Frankenstang," she said it was because I resurrected him from the dead, there are pieces and parts from other cars, and he has scars from where I welded him back together (I left those for conversation purposes after I cut the whole front clip off and replaced with one from a '72, rebuilt the trunk, floor pans, cowl, and just about everything from the hood down to the ground).

I'm also a Jeep guy: I have a 1980 CJ-7 I'm completely re-doing in anticipation of retirement coming up in a few years. I swapped the drivetrain to an AMC 304 V8 w/TF999 automatic transmission, upsized the wheels to 35" SSR Super Swampers, and I'm completely gutting the interior, reinstalling the A/C, and going through all the electrics, so it'll be trouble-free going forward. There's a bunch of pics and progress in the "What did you do instead of working on your Mustang" thread.

Again, welcome! Super Nice car - I love my Mach 1, but I'd also love to have a drop-top parked next to it.

Back