kickdown lever

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
I have a 302 with a C4, just switched over to a Weiand Stealth manifold and an Edelbrock 1406 4bbl. Bought the recommended parts to hook up to my throttle and kickdown lever, but the throttle plate adapter doesnt work with the factory 2bbl bracketry, only factory 4bbl bracket. This does me no good since I cant find one for cheap. All of my problems would be solved if it wasnt for that damn kick down lever to my C4. Here is my question of the day... How important is the kickdown lever and can I get rid of it on a car that is going to be a daily driver? I have read a little about it and what it does, but need someone with experience in this area. My best option if I keep it is to order Lokar's throttle and kickdown cable combo, seems to be a very good setup and upgrade, any experience with that as well? Thanks guys.

If memory serves, the kickdown lever also has something to do with throttle pressure in the trans. It will work without it, but may lead to premature trans failure.

Transmission shift points are determined by rpm and throttle positions together. Without kickdown, the tranny will shift like clockwork at a certain rpm regardless of where the throttle is. Manual shifting should work and running without kickdown won't hurt anything if you drive nice but i bet you'll get annoyed with the lack of response quickly. I have C3 in mine and kickdown is seized up inside so I know what it's like. If you go without kickdown for a while, you should crawl underneath and move the kickdown manually every so often so it doesn't lock up on you. I'm switchin to manual trans so I dont have input on the upgrades.

Thanks guys. I am giving up on the Edelbrock kickdown bracket and throttle cable mounting parts and am ordering Lokar's Hit-Tech Throttle and Kickdown Cable combo. Of all of the parts I have seen out there this one's design makes the most sense and it cleans up the area nicely. I got a new gas tank ordered as well because after a full day of cleaning with Muriatic Acid and pressure washer, I am still not happy with the turn out of my old one. Well I will post some pics when she is done, just have those parts to install, gap the plugs and install them and the wires, and wire up the electric choke and I am done for now (at least until I get the new exhaust in)!!!

Back