Leaf Springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe try on a flat level surface (garage floor) measure the hight from frame rail to floor in front near jacking location on each side and in back in front of the leaf spring mount. See if there is much difference from side to side. LF & RF should be the same and so should the LB RB. Something to compare it to. Just in case there is something else going on that's causing the difference from tire top to well cut out.

You could use the pinch weld where the rocker and floor meet instead of the frame rails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I measured from floor to the bottom of wheel opening straight up thru the center hub on all wheels. Both front are equal at 25.75, passenger rear is 26.75 and driver's rear is 27.25 for a difference of .50" Seems like the rear might have settled in a little as the gap is now app. .50 smaller. Distance from top of tire to wheel lip is 1 4/8" on driver's side and 1 1/8" on passenger side. As far as I know no damage/accident and after looking under rear does not appear to be any structural damage. I also measured from the front jack points on both sides and they were an 1/8" apart or less. The passenger rear jack point was 3/8" lower than the driver's side.

Based on all these measurments I would think that the issue is in the rear of the car. Maybe this is just the quality of the build from 1973. I will re-check the measurements over the next few days to see if they improve as I will be driving it some more now that I have torqued the rest of the nuts on the eye bolts and the rear shackles. Open to any advice as always ... thanks.

sTeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I always do with leaf springs is not only to make sure they are from the same supplier, etc, but to flip them up on the spring eyes and make sure the free height is close to identical. If it's more the 1/4" off, I would ask them to get me another pair to match up. I'm local that Mustangs Unlimited is local and I can go pic my stuff up, so this may not work for everyone.

I agree with Hemikiller.. During the manufacturing process, there could have been a mistake in labeling the springs using the same part number, but different tensions in the leafs.. It only takes a short time to pull those leaf strings back out and compare the arc. If the arcs are matching, then there is rear body damage.. The car could have been rear-ended at some point in it's life and has a bent rail.

I agree with Hemikiller.. During the manufacturing process, there could have been a mistake in labeling the springs using the same part number, but different tensions in the leafs.. It only takes a short time to pull those leaf strings back out and compare the arc.  If the arcs are matching, then there is rear body damage.. The car could have been rear-ended at some point in it's life and has a bent rail.

Hello,

The issue with unequal rear height was there before I put the new springs in, sure it is not an issue with the new springs. They are from a very reliable manufacturer. I did not specifically compare them before installation but they were side by side at one point and I don't recall any issues. Have double checked and they are the correct part. As far as I know no rear end collision, and no obvious damage under the rear body. Wonder if this is just how this car sits. Otherwise it rides fine and I can feel an improvement in the ride since installing the new leaf springs. Drove the car this morning probably about 25-30 miles and the measurements did not change. Thanks for the input !

Steve

If the front end is level the body must be twisted or possibly the rear quarter panel was replaced and wound up with the wheel well set too high. If one corner in the rear is high the opposite side in the front should be lower. With the car on a level surface check the measurements front and rear at the rocker panels.

You can get the factory measurements and locations here:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-underbody-dimensions

If the front end is level the body must be twisted or possibly the rear quarter panel was replaced and wound up with the wheel well set too high. If one corner in the rear is high the opposite side in the front should be lower. With the car on a level surface check the measurements front and rear at the rocker panels.

You can get the factory measurements and locations here:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-underbody-dimensions
Thanks very much !

I did my springs earlier this year. When I put them in, I had a bit of an issue getting one of the pin/bolts ( the bolt in the center that holds them all together) located. If this did not locate correctly, could that be the difference? Worth locking at to be sure, can't think of anything else that might cause the issue you have.

I did my springs earlier this year. When I put them in, I had a bit of an issue getting one of the pin/bolts ( the bolt in the center that holds them all together) located. If this did not locate correctly, could that be the difference? Worth locking at to be sure, can't think of anything else that might cause the issue you have.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I already checked that, good advice at any rate.

sTeve

Back