Lokar kick down cable

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
Has anyone used the Lokar KD-20C6 kick down kit? If so, has anyone used it with a Holley DP carb that did not come with ford kick down.
Second question; Has anyone used Holley kit 20-49-1 and stock kick down rod to accomplish the same thing? Thanks, Chuck

Wondering the same. My 71 has Holley avenger 670 cab and whomever installed it knew nothing about carbs. Carb was opening butterflies only half way.
To my understanding, we need to get eather a cable $29 (off brand SS)
Or
Kickdown kit and extension
Holley 20-91 and holley 20-41 ... $32

I used the lokar kits on mine for the throttle cable and kickdown. Its been 15+years so I dont remember the exact model number.
It was on there with my previous holley 750 double pumper. And I kept it when I bought the holley 600ish vacuum secondary. My transmission is some C4, I don't recall what it came out of.

The lokar setup has been working perfectly fine for me. I do not baby the car at all. And I have not had to adjust it at all since I put the thing on.

I was running without a kickdown for the past 5 years. I just added the cable and wow, what a difference. I went the inexpensive route and order a cable off a Amazon that was $27 and also the bracket for the carb/efi to hold the cable for $14. All works well but the kickdown cable end that mounts at the tranny is made of aluminum - would be better if it was metal.

If you want to get a regular kickdown rod than go to the link below. This guy has it all and can help you with what you may need at the carb also. Not cheap but he has most anything you need. Just message him and he will get back to you.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/kickdownrodsgaloreandmore?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559

I used the lokar kits on mine for the throttle cable and kickdown. Its been 15+years so I dont remember the exact model number.
It was on there with my previous holley 750 double pumper. And I kept it when I bought the holley 600ish vacuum secondary. My transmission is some C4, I don't recall what it came out of.

The lokar setup has been working perfectly fine for me. I do not baby the car at all. And I have not had to adjust it at all since I put the thing on.
I use the stock cable (with the return spring around the cable). This works with both Holly's and a Holley, Deacon carb without the stock bracket. I installed an AOD, and used the cable that came with it. I believe that this Trans was in a fule injected car. The cable fit in the lowest, small hole in the carb, and works great. I had to make a bracket added to the throttle bracket for the cable.

I was running without a kickdown for the past 5 years. I just added the cable and wow, what a difference. I went the inexpensive route and order a cable off a Amazon that was $27 and also the bracket for the carb/efi to hold the cable for $14. All works well but the kickdown cable end that mounts at the tranny is made of aluminum - would be better if it was metal.

If you want to get a regular kickdown rod than go to the link below. This guy has it all and can help you with what you may need at the carb also. Not cheap but he has most anything you need. Just message him and he will get back to you.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/kickdownrodsgaloreandmore?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559
That lockdown rod guy will make a custom rod if you tell him what motor, intake and carb you are running. That’s what route I’m going to try.
https://www.kickdownrods.com/

Last edited:
Used 3 kits from them. All were jokes.
First one, for FMX kickdown, the cable with provided kit could never be tensioned properly, probably why many have issues online to have them right. I even provided a drawing of the part that needed be done to have the ideal play. Second one, bought because Lokar does one thing good: their stainless cables and guides at the throttle. Used for my 429 c6. Same story, the kit they provide is idiotic, and was not even close to what was needed for a c6. Third was for my AOD. and bingo, same story, cable, guides fine, but the very purpose of the kits totally wrong. And like for the 2 others, ended up making own brackets to have a cable with the correct play, something you can rely on and easy to set at the right tension the first time.

Back