Looking for black J code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6972boss

Reaction score
My Car
72 sport roof R code waiting to be finished. 67 and 69 shelby's are ahead of it.
Back in the early 80's there was a black on white 429 Mach 1 sitting on the showroom floor of Mike Schmidt's dealership, Van Dyke motors in Trona Ca.  He had $5995 on the windshield. Waayy to much money for a high school kid! Car was fully loaded, J code 429 4 speed, PB,  PS,  PW, tilt wheel, rim blow, instramentation group, folding rear seat, console, white mach 1 interior, A/C, spoilers, argent stripes. Just a gorgeous mach 1. 

Car survived a fire that burned the building to the ground. Last I saw of it, it sold on eBay and disappeared. Has anyone heard of it or seen it? Would love to know if it still exists.

Like the price... There is/was a 429 registry run by a guy, Scotty Hawthorne?, not sure if the name is right... He was in Ohio I believe. He had many of the surviving BB ‘stang’s in his registry...Check the 429 Mustang Forum also, as there are many member photo’s of car’s as well... Black, being a very rare colour on these car’s should be easy to spot if it is still around...

Yea, I am a member of the 429 site too. They have not seen or heard from it. Just curious if it is still around. It had a huge impact on me in those younger years. I will be watching for the black one when it crosses the podium!

6972boss,

Good luck with your search, I think your going to need it.

On another note.... with no disrespect intended..... Trona ? Really ??

I drive thru Trona on my way to Death Valley every year.  It must have been a very long time ago

since they had a dealer, how long ago was that?  I'm 67 and it has been pretty much deserted since I've been traveling thru.

Like I said, no disrespect intended.

Bru

Yea, I am a member of the 429 site too. They have not seen or heard from it. Just curious if it is still around. It had a huge impact on me in those younger years. I will be watching for the black one when it crosses the podium!
I saw the black one yesterday. Did not get the VIN, but as I recall it was an early one, ie: “120’s” or early “130’s” sequential #.... Definitely a true black car as per paperwork. Some nice aspects on this car but, also missing or altered items. I won’t get into that here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sat in the black car. Its pretty nice. The center console is not attached to the floor, but everything else looks to be in good condition.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-397454/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-fastback/

It will probably bid up to 50 or 60k since its a 429 4 speed.

The one to watch is the yellow one for export. It is a superb car. Looks brand new.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-396920/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-fastback/

it should be interesting to see what it brings.

So far prices have been on t he low side. The 2 red 73 cleveland powered cars went for 23k and 26k,

1 73 vert went for 11k and another for 16500. a couple of others got stupid low bids and didnt sell.

I sat in the black car.  Its pretty nice.  The center console is not attached to the floor, but everything else looks to be in good condition.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-397454/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-fastback/

It will probably bid up to 50 or 60k since its a 429 4 speed.

The one to watch is the yellow one for export.  It is a superb car.  Looks brand new.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-396920/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-fastback/

it should be interesting to see what it brings.

So far prices have been on t he low side.  The 2 red 73 cleveland powered cars went for 23k and 26k,

1 73 vert went for 11k and another for 16500.  a couple of others got stupid low bids and didnt sell.
Hmmm. I guess it is all in one’s own perspective when looking at a car. How I would address both these car’s is on the “critical” review side, simply because of the money some unsuspecting person will pay for either of the car’s... Therefore, IMO, neither were superb... I made a list on each and will provide an example concern for each: On the black car, the hood graphic was wrong. If you looked under the car there were puddles in many areas around the engine and transmission... The yellow car is a Japanese export car. It appears it was somewhat restored back to US standards eliminating all of the unique Japanese add on’s... Also, look at the paint scheme in the upper firewall area in the engine compartment... It is also missing the Rochester Carb and unique choke pull down set up... There were more items on both car’s but again, it depends on what the buyer is looking for. For this kind of coin, I personally would want a more factory type restoration. If I had to choose, the black car could be returned to factory easier and would be my choice. IMO...

Back in the early 80's there was a black on white 429 Mach 1 sitting on the showroom floor of Mike Schmidt's dealership, Van Dyke motors in Trona Ca.  He had $5995 on the windshield. Waayy to much money for a high school kid! Car was fully loaded, J code 429 4 speed, PB,  PS,  PW, tilt wheel, rim blow, instramentation group, folding rear seat, console, white mach 1 interior, A/C, spoilers, argent stripes. Just a gorgeous mach 1. 

Car survived a fire that burned the building to the ground. Last I saw of it, it sold on eBay and disappeared. Has anyone heard of it or seen it? Would love to know if it still exists.
I picked up a black J code a few years back from the west coast, but it has a black interior and was an automatic. Original sold in Washington, but I found a speed shop receipt under the carpet from the early 80's from a shop in California.

6972boss,

Good luck with your search, I think your going to need it.

On another note.... with no disrespect intended..... Trona ? Really ??

I drive thru Trona on my way to Death Valley every year.  It must have been a very long time ago

since they had a dealer, how long ago was that?  I'm 67 and it has been pretty much deserted since I've been traveling thru.

Like I said, no disrespect intended.

Bru

Hi Bru, no offense taken at all. It is hatd to talk about Trona and Ridgecrest while keeping a straight face. Mike Shmidts "van dyke motors" was also in Ridgecrest.  His Trona location burned down sometime in '85 or 86 taking with it 3 valuable cars including the corvette from funnycar summer, a ton of vintage race parts including a 427 SOHC drag race engine, and several rare pieces. The black mach 1 survived because it sat outside when the dealership was open. The building wad located on the north side of Trona rd just west of downtown.  I found a Google maps image of where it was. 

Last I saw of the car it listed on eBay. I think it went to Virginia IIRC.i used to work at the NAPA  off main street and panamint. World's smallest NAPA! We serviced the Kerr Magee industrial machine mining equipment. Soooo glad to escape that place?.

Nice car, but 95K? I would like to have it though...

Back