Looking for feedback on my new wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not bad looking rims but i think they stick out too far , maybe more backspace like 5.5 inches. It’s a interesting look for sure 😜

Thanks!

I wanted that Centerline Trick look, and only found two options for Mustang

American Racing Outlaw with 4inch backspace ($166 per Rim)
Center line Auto Drag 2.0 with 4.84 inch backspace ($295 per Rim)

The American Racing is one piece construction with 1900 lb load rating
The Center line is two-piece construction with 1525 lb load rating

I always liked the look of "Auto Drag" wheels too. The deep dish with shallow back space as you have, is a classic old school look. Can you provide a couple photos from the front of the car looking back as to better view the wheel/tire offset to the body.

I always liked the look of "Auto Drag" wheels too. The deep dish with shallow back space as you have, is a classic old school look. Can you provide a couple photos from the front of the car looking back as to better view the wheel/tire offset to the body.

Thanks Cleveland! I have the front fender and door off right now, but I will get some better pics soon. The Tire sticks out just under 2 inches from the Rear Quarter Flare

I'm going with the hive on this one. I'm not a fan of the tires sticking out from under the car look. It always reminded me of a frog. And for god's sake, dont put a bandaid on it by adding fender flares or a wide body kit. :D
1717212445166.png

I say either get wheels that fit right, or narrow your rear axle if you really want to keep those wheels. There's enough room to fit at least 11" wide tires in the back and 9" up front and keep them from sticking out if you get your backspacing right.

1717212267327.png
1717212305963.png

That's old school cool (thanks Sheriff)

I'm going with the hive on this one. I'm not a fan of the tires sticking out from under the car look. It always reminded me of a frog. And for god's sake, dont put a bandaid on it by adding fender flares or a wide body kit. :D
View attachment 89238

I say either get wheels that fit right, or narrow your rear axle if you really want to keep those wheels. There's enough room to fit at least 11" wide tires in the back and 9" up front and keep them from sticking out if you get your backspacing right.

View attachment 89236
View attachment 89237
Thanks for the feedback GIANTPUNE. My dilemma is that I can't find the TRICK rims rated for street that have the 5.5in backspace. Also, I doubt JEGS would return these rims now without hassle since they're already mounted. total for both rims was $332, so not a huge loss if I decide to sell them on FB and find an alternative, but yes I would like the Wheels tucked in at least one more inch. The centerline 2.0 rim would give me another .84 of an inch of tuck, which doesn't seem worth the hassle or extra cost. Mine don't quite look as bad as the lower rider though..lol

Thanks for the feedback GIANTPUNE. My dilemma is that I can't find the TRICK rims rated for street that have the 5.5in backspace. Also, I doubt JEGS would return these rims now without hassle since they're already mounted. total for both rims was $332, so not a huge loss if I decide to sell them on FB and find an alternative, but yes I would like the Wheels tucked in at least one more inch. The centerline 2.0 rim would give me another .84 of an inch of tuck, which doesn't seem worth the hassle or extra cost. Mine don't quite look as bad as the lower rider though..lol
Oversized tires, air shocks, and traction bars were the look back in the late 60's and early 70s. Check out some old Hot Rod magazines.
1717247147255.png

@GERMYS_72 for perspective here's a few photos of my 72 and friends 73 wheel offsets.
Circa late 1970's

Attachments

• 20240601_092748.jpg
    20240601_092748.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240601_092651.jpg
    20240601_092651.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240601_092629.jpg
    20240601_092629.jpg
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240601_092620.jpg
    20240601_092620.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
either you will need mud flaps or prepare to deal with the damage kicked up rocks and stuff will do to your lower quarter. Since your asked, IMO tires sticking out of the wheel well look like crap and should be reserved for race cars.

It's true, back in the day we ran big fatties on the back and skinnies on the front. And if they rubbed we would run a pipe between the wheel and quarter to flare them out. Cragers, Keystone, Centerline and Slotted. Classic car classic rims.

Yep, that's a nice 69 Stang there Sheriff. It would be a very period correct street machine build even today.
PS- nice Gold 72 Stang in the background also.
Yep. It's a photo I found online. I was into Trans Am and SCCA back then so my cars all got the Boss 302 chassis mods. Even lowered my 72 and ran G50-15 Radial TAs front and rear. Most of my buddies were jacking up their cars and running big and littles. The pics of your cars takes me back!

Back