FMX transmission

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code convert., 351C 2V, FMX, 9in., Ram air, Pwr Steering, Pwr Disc brakes, air-conditioning, 15" sport wheels, Ivy Glo w/white deluxe interior.
Do any members out there from the mid-Atlantic region, specifically East to Southeastern Virginia know of anyone who will work on these?
The only place I've found was Jasper and the lack of finding a shop is causing me to lean toward a C-6 change over.
Then again, that poses the problem of will they take the FMX as a swap for core, what else needs to change on my driveline like the tail casing and yolk plus linkage.

I seem to remember there being something about that when I had my '71 XR-7. It was a Cleveland with the C-6 but that was 1983 and a lifetime ago.

The FMX is a good transmission. Hopefully you'll be able to find someone to rebuild it for you. If not, you could always rebuild it yourself; they're not that complicated. Just have a good service manual, a clean workspace, and lay out the parts in the order they come apart. Clean everything well and blow out with compressed air (be aware of small parts!) and get a complete rebuild kit. Take your time and you can do it.

I do have a rebuilt small block bell housing c6 I installed, but never put fluid in. Went manual on my rebuild.

With 10” converter

It has a low first gear so good out if hole performance and still 1:1 third for highway cruising.

Shipping would be the issue as I am in Plano, Texas

PM me if you want more info

I do have a rebuilt small block bell housing c6 I installed, but never put fluid in. Went manual on my rebuild.

With 10” converter

It has a low first gear so good out if hole performance and still 1:1 third for highway cruising.

Shipping would be the issue as I am in Plano, Texas

PM me if you want more info
Sparked my interest but the shipping from Plano TX to Williamsburg VA is going to be astronomical, otherwise I would bite and just find the bellhousing.

Then again, you've really sparked my interest to hear about your manual swap. Is it in the pages here?

Granted I'm running on empty most days but since I have the whole front part of the car in pieces and a "clean canvas", why not? Did you go hydraulic for the clutch pedal? When we first bought this, swapping to a David Kee Top loader was one of the "bucket list" items but the pedal support being one of the most sought after and pretty much obsolete parts, it was indefinitely shelved. Not getting my hopes up here, there's other things that need to fall in place first, but now would be the time.
To address the reason why I wouldn't go to a Tremic or similar new age trans, I tried that route with my '66 F100 and got burned so...

Sparked my interest but the shipping from Plano TX to Williamsburg VA is going to be astronomical, otherwise I would bite and just find the bellhousing.

Then again, you've really sparked my interest to hear about your manual swap. Is it in the pages here?

Granted I'm running on empty most days but since I have the whole front part of the car in pieces and a "clean canvas", why not? Did you go hydraulic for the clutch pedal? When we first bought this, swapping to a David Kee Top loader was one of the "bucket list" items but the pedal support being one of the most sought after and pretty much obsolete parts, it was indefinitely shelved. Not getting my hopes up here, there's other things that need to fall in place first, but now would be the time.
To address the reason why I wouldn't go to a Tremic or similar new age trans, I tried that route with my '66 F100 and got burned so...
My car was a basket case.

It was an fmx car.

Engine spun a bearing so all the driveline was removed. Swapped a guy the fmx for a top loader. Interior was removed so the shop could install a cage while they did body and paint.

They said six weeks

Six months later the shop went out of business and I had to get my scattered car via flashlight and bring it home.

This was early 90’s.

Early 2000’s I started again. Had the engine built. Bought the c6 and had it installed. Then that shop was about to close but they new to story so they made sure I was able to get my stuff.

Pissed about the quality of work and life getting in the way the car sat until my wife said fix it or sell it for its 50 ’tH birthday. Catch was I gad to do all the work.

I used all the parts I had squirreled away and some new parts.

Disassembled and reassembled the engine

Had the top loader rebuilt ( only thing I had done, rest was done in my two car garage).

Flywheel had been surfaced ages ago.

Summit clutch kit.

Mallwood hydraulic pedal and a McLeod throw out bearing.

Rebuilt everything I touched. Rewind, painted

Missed it’s birthday but after 35ish years it was back licensed and inspected

Here are some of the highlights in pictures
View attachment IMG_6641.mov

Attachments

• IMG_3287.jpeg
    IMG_3287.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3316.jpeg
    IMG_3316.jpeg
    514.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3413.jpeg
    IMG_3413.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3415.jpeg
    IMG_3415.jpeg
    528.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7140.jpeg
    IMG_7140.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7569.jpeg
    IMG_7569.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8783.jpeg
    IMG_8783.jpeg
    472.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0838.jpeg
    IMG_0838.jpeg
    543.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0995.jpeg
    IMG_0995.jpeg
    531.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1461.jpeg
    IMG_1461.jpeg
    427.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1462.jpeg
    IMG_1462.jpeg
    590 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1475.jpeg
    IMG_1475.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1603.jpeg
    IMG_1603.jpeg
    572.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5507.jpeg
    IMG_5507.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 0
Do any members out there from the mid-Atlantic region, specifically East to Southeastern Virginia know of anyone who will work on these?
The only place I've found was Jasper and the lack of finding a shop is causing me to lean toward a C-6 change over.
Then again, that poses the problem of will they take the FMX as a swap for core, what else needs to change on my driveline like the tail casing and yolk plus linkage.

I seem to remember there being something about that when I had my '71 XR-7. It was a Cleveland with the C-6 but that was 1983 and a lifetime ago.
Try Calling Rory and Sons in Virginia Beach 757-490-6600 I believe they do

Back