Eastwood 30/60 compressor oil emergency. Answer needed in a flash. Please.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code convert., 351C 2V, FMX, 9in., Ram air, Pwr Steering, Pwr Disc brakes, air-conditioning, 15" sport wheels, Ivy Glo w/white deluxe interior.
It’s not my place to post a “sticky” so, hoping the first person viewing has a guru’s knowledge of oiled scroll air compressors.
I’m out the brand specific synth oil because the humidity in the area has been horrible and draining the water has created the problem.
Is any really good synth product from an auto parts store good?
Please help Thank you

I was actually on there yesterday. The search directed me there but I didn’t get that far. Kinda gave up since the answer is usually right there or within a couple posts of the link. Will do. Thanks!

For what it’s worth, wasn’t liking what I read on Eastwood site and while familiar with Magnuson Moss warranty Act, really didn’t want to have that discussion since most people I talk to when you need to inform them weren’t even born yet.

I've looked over the site and will admit I'm a bit confused. Out front, the caveat would be, I'm not questioning anyone's knowledge since it's all well above mine in this subject.

The concern I have is the post talks about the Amsoil and while I did locate the product, in other searches I found info that contradicts that choice since the one big thing was, I should stay away from Hydraulic oil and use only compressor oil.
I do understand that not everything out there is correct info, but I used multiple sources to verify the product differences.

Given the cost of the compressor and concerns of a warranty fight, I need to ask, is there really a difference between a hydraulic fluid at ISO 32 or 46 and the same in compressor oil? The obvious one of hydraulic fluid being used to exert force and compressor used for lubricating is understood.

In the end, admit that buying this particular compressor was a bit of overkill, but I really needed the CFM in a much more compact footprint. Space is such a premium in our garage after it was shorted by 14" in depth and 8" in width. The things you learn 3 years into the casa de hades. Anyhow, it needed to fit under my work bench and at least that was accomplished.

I admit I'm also being overly cautious but again, it's all high-cost stuff so I'd like to get it right the first time. Thanks for the help!

It’s Monday. Maybe call Eastwood to see what they are willing to divulge.

The iso rating is a weight to my understanding. You would still want to get 68 in a synthetic oil, for compressors.

It’s Monday. Maybe call Eastwood to see what they are willing to divulge.

The iso rating is a weight to my understanding. You would still want to get 68 in a synthetic oil, for compressors.
Thanks for the help. Our local NAPA has the ISO46 oil so I've ordered a jug. I have contacted Eastwood by email because of a concerning issue.

After a day of heavy use media blasting, really the first one since purchasing the compressor, I'm noticing a water issue. About halfway thru the afternoon, I started to see condensation forming on the parts as I was blasting them. It appeared in a form similar to a discoloration or like when you breathe on a surface when cold. It quickly dissipated as I blasted the area and also was inconsistent in frequency.

During this first time, I stopped the compressor, uncoupled the gun and hose at the respective points of connection and proceeded to walk the hose from the sealing coupler to the open one. Didn't find any water so I turned my attention to the unit. To save from a lengthy play by play explanation, I found water in the filter housing, so it was doing its job, but also found water in the air tank when I drained it. Unfortunately, when I performed the recommended process for draining the oil reservoir, no water, only oil came out. I also followed the recommendation from the site above and cycled the pump but still no water.

Still had some blasting so I put it all back together, repressurized the tank and went to work.

Once I started to see the same water vapor, decided to call it a day, granted it was that time anyhow, and performed the daily shutdown routine.
This time, when I uncoupled the hose at the tank, condensation had formed in the hose. The filter housing wasn't as full this time but, the tank had a good 10-12oz. of water exiting the drain valve. This was far more than the same procedure yielded earlier but there was still no water draining from the oil reservoir. This time, a pinkish foam had been drained with the oil.

I sincerely don't have any real knowledge of this type of system, other than what I'm reading but I believe that water should be in the reservoir and not the tank. The very reason I purchased this was because of condensation being an issue in our area. While my old compressor was far undersized for anything above a pneumatic nailer, media blasting was impossible and frankly, shooting paint was not going to happen either. Granted I'm a ways away from this, it's very concerning. There is no way I can shoot the car with this water issue. I'm also looking into an additional line water filter, maybe between the hose and tool.

The pics below and virtually the same explanation was sent to Eastwood customer service so hopefully they can help. I'm planning a complete change of oil and check the water filter; this time it will be the filter atop and not the added line filter explained above. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, that rust draining from the compressor has happened since the first day I powered the unit up. I also drain down the unit every day after starting it up so that's another concern. Hopefully Eastwood will address the issue timely and effectively.

img_2776-jpg.92916
1725970734424.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2776.jpg
    IMG_2776.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
Back