Looking for window crank knobs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've given up the search and decided to stick with the original. They're not that bad and I rarely have back seat passengers.

If the rear quarter cranks turn out to be the worst thing on the car I'll be pretty happy.

Mike

First time i see this thread. It explains why i couldnt fit the knobs to the handle. So what i did was to cut the top of the cone (or volcano) so i could screw the replacement knob. I used a band saw and with the knob installed you cant tell the difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I did think about that. I was reluctant to try it in case I cracked the metal or something. I don't have a band saw.
A careful touch with a grinding wheel may work. You may have to finish it with a file by hand to smooth the cut surface. However, depending on what level of perfection you are looking for it may work or may not. The cut surface would be hidden by the knob.

Dug into this a bit. Here is what I did to my window cranks today. Sourced a different knob than what I originally bought to fit....'cause they don't.

Parts and info listed further down. Not perfect, not high quality, but looks better than nothing.

From L to R, New knob, Original Ford knob, and what I bought first as a 68-73 knob with the solid back.

Dry fit looked good.

Pressed knob onto handle with the provided stud and wave washer and..............TOTAL FAIL.

Knob did not seat fully and was a little tough to turn. Measured the other stud and depth of knob stem hole, found the stud is too long and the stem expands when inserting so it drags in the handle. Tore that knob off and started over with the other knob I had. (I got 2)

So the second attempt I cut stud shorter by 1/8" or so, also drilled out the knob stem, carefully, by hand, with a 13/64 twist bit and pressed again. Pressed a little at a time and checked often so as not to get it so tight that the knob wouldn't turn. Just enough to push against the wave washer.

Much Better.

Here are the replacement knobs I used. Listed to fit early/mid 70's F Series Trucks. 

Dorman #76943. 

These WILL NOT pass the test of time like originals, but I can replace 2 knobs for less than 10 bucks. The stems and inner cores are plastic and not metal as the originals. Parts are listed as coming as a set of one black and one clear per pack. I bought 3 packs and all contained 2 clear/semi-clear knobs. Local O'Rieilley's store had in stock for $5.50/Pack of 2. Amazon has them down to $4.50/Pack of 2. I bought extras for when these fail. Beware...some places show them up over $10.00 plus shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping a 1 year + old thread....

Ran into the same knob replacement issue. I have the '72' style handles with the "volcano" end for the knob........but missing the knobs. Made the same move as other folks and purchased knobs that are listed to fit "68-73", but they don't. In fact, the original label in the repackaged knobs state they are for a 65-67. Still trying to get an RMA for the return.

So the question now is, since I can't source replacement knobs, and I still want to go with original Ford part.....do the '73' style handles (After 4/73) with the exposed screws, still have the "volcano" end where the knob sets? I don't want to buy original parts if when the knob breaks I am still stuck with a handle that can't be repaired. How long did that style stay in production?

Trying to decide if I move forward or backward in time, or just get a repop that has parts support.
Hello kingb1973,

Strange that the knobs you purchased would be listed as fitting 65-67 as most Ford vehicles from that era still had the permanently attached chrome knobs. In fact, all 1964 1/2 through 67 Mustangs used the same window crank handle. The handles with replaceable color keyed knobs didn't start appearing until the '68 model year. The D2OZ and D3AZ handles have the "Volcano" hump and do not have a correct knob replacement. (Ford NEVER offered a knob replacement for them).

You could either do as tony-muscle suggested and remove the hump from your 72-73 style handle or acquire the 71 handles (C9UZ-8223342-A) and use the knob of your choice. With the clear knob either would have the correct look. And....Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply does have a good deal on new 72-73 handles.https://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=1868

Bumping a 1 year + old thread....

Ran into the same knob replacement issue. I have the '72' style handles with the "volcano" end for the knob........but missing the knobs. Made the same move as other folks and purchased knobs that are listed to fit "68-73", but they don't. In fact, the original label in the repackaged knobs state they are for a 65-67. Still trying to get an RMA for the return.

So the question now is, since I can't source replacement knobs, and I still want to go with original Ford part.....do the '73' style handles (After 4/73) with the exposed screws, still have the "volcano" end where the knob sets? I don't want to buy original parts if when the knob breaks I am still stuck with a handle that can't be repaired. How long did that style stay in production?

Trying to decide if I move forward or backward in time, or just get a repop that has parts support.
Hello kingb1973,

Strange that the knobs you purchased would be listed as fitting 65-67 as most Ford vehicles from that era still had the permanently attached chrome knobs. In fact, all 1964 1/2 through 67 Mustangs used the same window crank handle. The handles with replaceable color keyed knobs didn't start appearing until the '68 model year. The D2OZ and D3AZ handles have the "Volcano" hump and do not have a correct knob replacement. (Ford NEVER offered a knob replacement for them).

You could either do as tony-muscle suggested and remove the hump from your 72-73 style handle or acquire the 71 handles (C9UZ-8223342-A) and use the knob of your choice. With the clear knob either would have the correct look. And....Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply does have a good deal on new 72-73 handles.https://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=1868

https://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=1868[/URL]Yup, Seemed screwy to me. Here is both sides of the package. Vendor has not acknowledged my existence, much less any concern about an issue with my last order....after contacting them 3 times about my order. Vendor no longer in my top 10 for sure.

Dug into this a bit. Here is what I did to my window cranks today. Sourced a different knob than what I originally bought to fit....'cause they don't.

Parts and info listed further down. Not perfect, not high quality, but looks better than nothing.

From L to R, New knob, Original Ford knob, and what I bought first as a 68-73 knob with the solid back.

Dry fit looked good.

Pressed knob onto handle with the provided stud and wave washer and..............TOTAL FAIL.

Knob did not seat fully and was a little tough to turn. Measured the other stud and depth of knob stem hole, found the stud is too long and the stem expands when inserting so it drags in the handle. Tore that knob off and started over with the other knob I had. (I got 2)

So the second attempt I cut stud shorter by 1/8" or so, also drilled out the knob stem, carefully, by hand, with a 13/64 twist bit and pressed again. Pressed a little at a time and checked often so as not to get it so tight that the knob wouldn't turn. Just enough to push against the wave washer.

Much Better.

Here are the replacement knobs I used. Listed to fit early/mid 70's F Series Trucks. 

Dorman #76943. 

These WILL NOT pass the test of time like originals, but I can replace 2 knobs for less than 10 bucks. The stems and inner cores are plastic and not metal as the originals. Parts are listed as coming as a set of one black and one clear per pack. I bought 3 packs and all contained 2 clear/semi-clear knobs. Local O'Rieilley's store had in stock for $5.50/Pack of 2. Amazon has them down to $4.50/Pack of 2. I bought extras for when these fail. Beware...some places show them up over $10.00 plus shipping.

These knobs are the only ones I've found that fit the "volcano style" handle.  These knobs are not sturdy and crack pretty easy if you try to crank the window too hard.  Last time I bought these I got 4 extra in case they ever got discontinued.

Agreed. Plastic core makes for a part that can fail. I bought extras also.

Back