Lower column

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyro86

Reaction score
I m replacing what I think is a bearing , I have the white collar or bushing but not sure there is a bearing? It’s a non tilt column in a 1971 coupe with no power steering any help would be great thanks .
AJ

I m replacing what I think is a bearing , I have the white collar or bushing but not sure there is a bearing? It’s a non tilt column in a 1971 coupe with no power steering any help would be great thanks .
AJ
Just didn’t know if anyone has an entire column or has repaired one…lost at the moment,

Thanks!

The only bearing is at the top, behind the signal switch assembly. It should have a rubber collar around it. The white collar at the bottom is basically just a cover. There are foam pieces that help center the shaft as it exits the bottom of the column (more or less). NPD carries the bearing, the rubber cover for the bearing, and the foam pieces.

This video was really helpful for me when I tore mine down:

Last edited:
71Coop, thank you for providing the video link. I have not taken one of these steering columns apart for years, and have never swapped a fixed position column with a tilt column. But, I am doing it this coming Spring (Car Season, 2024), using a tile steering wheel column from a 1973 Cougar to install into our 1973 Mach 1 Mustang. The splined end of the steering column shaft, and the rag joint coupler, are different between the fixed and tolt column designes for some reason. And it took me over a year of patient waiting before I finally found the correct rag joint for the tlt column (the tilt column I purchased did not include that rag joint with the correct spline count).

Following is a link to my Google Drive where I have a set of files for the Steeering Comun and Rag Joint (Steering Coupler) for 1973 Mustangs. Nearly all of the info is relevant to 71-72 models also.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LUvyOlKFp-cJG5neC5a5k_EsBIU1rOUH?usp=drive_link

Last edited:
Back