Mach 1 Nearly Ready for Paint Booth

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
My Mach 1 is getting closer to the paint booth. It could be done by Christmas but I'm not holding my breath. Door jambs were shot already and some of the new Blue Glow paint is visible. Can't wait to dump those "Super Wide" 70 series tires from 1980. I can't believe they still hold air!

11l4vf4.jpg

2hxvf5w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. I wish I could find some NOS of those tires!... or some 60's. Cant wait to see the finished car. So far I have a spare room full of replacement or upgrade parts and a car just starting its body work. Luckily the previous owner did from the front bumper back to the quarters. Most of my work is in the trunk and a few places on the quarters.

Very cool. What color are you going for? Same as before? The door jambs look darker.
The Blue Glow is the original color of this Mach 1 (my C6 car - which has been red for the last 29 years). My 4 speed car is also Blue Glow and is the one in my profile pic. I think the lighting in the shop must give it a darker look. When you look at it in person it doesn't seem that dark. The paint on the 4 speed car is 40 years old and is a bit washed out in comparison I think.

Nice color. I do like that two tone paint scheme effect it makes on the last pic. Wouldn´that be awesome to have that blue on the lower part and argent on the upper part of the body?

I mean, of course you won´t do that now, but I was just sayin´....

Nice color. I do like that two tone paint scheme effect it makes on the last pic. Wouldn´that be awesome to have that blue on the lower part and argent on the upper part of the body?

I mean, of course you won´t do that now, but I was just sayin´....
Well, I will be doing a bit of that Mike. All of the stripes will be argent as well as the hood (it will get its original two tone hood back). Spoilers front and rear will be argent as well. It will make a good contrast. My wife suggested a different color for this car since I already have a Blue Glow Mach 1 but I couldn't talk myself into going with anything other than Blue Glow. I will just have two of them in the garage. Both were made about a week apart.

I need to find the 4spd Twin to Dad's C6 Q Code Blue Glow now. I would settle for the Baby Blue though with Black Stripes

Looks like a mile stone on your project.
It certainly is! This car has its original engine back in place and all freshly rebuilt, a newly rebuilt C6, and all new brakes and suspension components. I will likely have to wait until spring to drive it around here. The county likes to dump salt and brine all over the roads here in the winter time. I don't need any of that for this car.

I need to find the 4spd Twin to Dad's C6 Q Code Blue Glow now. I would settle for the Baby Blue though with Black Stripes
Ha ha - yes you do. I really had no intention of getting another Mach 1 when I found this 4 speed car. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. It was a tough sell to the wife because she said "why do you need two cars that are the same year and the same color -you can only drive one at a time?" I tried to explain how they were completely different car "personalities" but I think that fell flat. Oh well, I think she is on board now. She is actually looking forward to getting the C6 car back as well! Also, I have two sons and I rationalized having two similar cars by saying that each of the kids will get one when I am gone. How could you argue with that?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife suggested a different color for this car since I already have a Blue Glow Mach 1 but I couldn't talk myself into going with anything other than Blue Glow. I will just have two of them in the garage. Both were made about a week apart.

Nothing wrong with having twin cars with one being a 4-speed and the other being a C-6. ;)

It's cool. :cool:

My wife suggested a different color for this car since I already have a Blue Glow Mach 1 but I couldn't talk myself into going with anything other than Blue Glow. I will just have two of them in the garage. Both were made about a week apart.

Nothing wrong with having twin cars with one being a 4-speed and the other being a C-6. ;)

It's cool. :cool:
You are absolutely right Don. One thing that is fascinating to me is the subtle differences in the two cars even though they are very close in manufacture dates (very late 1973). It's like Ford was cleaning out the parts bins to get those last few cars out.

Latest posts

Back