71 Mach 1 paint color choice help

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Reaction score
My Car
1973 XR-7
I would go BLUE without hesitation. The Blue will make the car stand out while the white will let it disappear into the crowd.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
I originally had fallen in love with a '71 Grabber Yellow/Ginger Interior 302 Mach 1 when I was 14, but of course was in no position to have one of my own. I joined the Air Force out of high school, landed at Holloman AFB, NM as my first duty assignment, and made friends with a couple of folks in the barracks - 1 with a Red '71 M-Code and another with a cool '72 Sprint Coupe (didn't even know what a Sprint was at the time). I hadn't seen very many 7173s in any other colors until Spring 2010 when I saw this awesome Grabber Lime car in Mustang Monthly:

1971_ford_mustang_mach_1+front_view.jpg

Wow. That is THE car I've always wanted... even though it's not yellow, it was green... and it was a cool green. I'm thinking it's time to get one of my own at that point, which had me picking up the rusty pile in my avatar pic. What the Heck color was THAT supposed to be, anyway.

Well, as I was disassembling the rusty pile of... project I'd just bought, not even really thinking about what color to paint it, I pulled back the carpet and found some Light Pewter on the transmission hump. Hmmm... that's pretty cool. A ton of Google searches later had me convinced that the right thing to do was go back with the Light Pewter, because it's not only original, it's very cool and plays to my fondness of gray scale (since I'm a bit red-green color blind).

I got pretty close to the pic above (although, no stripes & spoilers with Cragar S/Ss rather than Torque Thrust IIs, and my Ram Air is factory legit, therefore my TuTone hood black out is proper for the car). In fact, just about everything on mine (cosmetically) is 'as was' from the factory, aside from the wheels and louvers. I don't know that I'll ever add stripes & spoilers because it seems like almost ALL 7173s seem to have them these days. I just need to get the nose down another inch or so and I'll be happy. One of these days I will finish off the urethane bumper and reinstall it, but I actually like the chrome just fine - it goes well with the little bit of factory chrome bits and the Cragars nicely.

IMG_20210327_140953155_HDR.jpg

On a car that's fully intact, it's a LOT harder to change colors. Mine required a LOT of sheet metal replacement, so I literally could've changed colors quite easily at that point, but I agree that there's just something about sticking with the original color that just feels right.