Magnum 500 wheels--looking for recommendations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You all have given me lots to think about...

I am not a "chrome" guy... but 500's are, I believe, the correct look my car needs, so..

the alloy option is where I'm leaning...

15X7 front, 15X8 rear.

the steel wheels are very heavy.  It would be nice to reduce the unsprung weight on the corners

My 67 has 18X11 rear and 18X9 front, 750 lb.coils with a 472ci. Global west del-a-lum bushings.

No power steering or brakes. It is a beast to drive. Took weeks to decide on the tire and wheel sizes.

You never know exactly how they fit until they're on the car

I wanted my 72 Mach to be my comfortable Mustang so I rebuilt the suspension stock.

Now you guys show me pics of 255's in front and 275's in rear?   Aargh

As you see in the picture, my car has 235's all the way around.

235's look a little small in the rear.. the 255 and 275 look is pretty full and mean...maybe a bit too much

decisions decisions

I'm running 245/60 on 15x7 and 255/60 on 15x8.  I think 235 look a little small on these cars. The 275 to me looks to big for the eight inch rim. The bead of the tire looks to be pulled in when mounted on the rim and makes me think the tread foot print is not making full contact with the road. The 255 looks nice and square on the rim in my opinion.  The sidewall bulge is a pet peeve of mine. 245s on 7s and 255s on 8s side wall bulge are close and display the raised whites well. 

Now the wheels, I have wheel vintiques. So far the chrome is good but the black is way to thin and starting to rust around the lugs and the car hasn't seen the street. So I will be painting the black soon.

I'm running 245/60 on 15x7 and 255/60 on 15x8.  I think 235 look a little small on these cars. The 275 to me looks to big for the eight inch rim. The bead of the tire looks to be pulled in when mounted on the rim and makes me think the tread foot print is not making full contact with the road. The 255 looks nice and square on the rim in my opinion.  The sidewall bulge is a pet peeve of mine. 245s on 7s and 255s on 8s side wall bulge are close and display the raised whites well. 

Now the wheels, I have wheel vintiques. So far the chrome is good but the black is way to thin and starting to rust around the lugs and the car hasn't seen the street. So I will be painting the black soon.

Well said Mike,  couldn't agree more.

235's a little small looking.  275 perhaps a little big for what I want...

245's on 7, and 255's on 8 sounds perfect

Thanks

I have been very happy with  cast aluminum legendary wheels brand. easy to banlance and mounts like a new rim. Very high quality casting.

1. one piece no welds to break or out of round manufacturing.

2. cast just like o.e.m.  today.

3. does NOT need to be balanced off the lug holes like chrome steel two-piece types.

4. ready to send to a Legitimate chrome shop if u want perfect chrome magnum 500 look with no peeling issues from welded center.

As to who to avoid, apparently, ALL different vendors selling steel chrome repops come from same source, wheel vintiques, very spotty quality control, Now u can get a lightweight billet from circle racing wheels, about 425$ per, but they look a little different from stock.
Thanks much for the Legendary brand recommendation.  Turns out they were on sale at Summit last night and I stumbled upon a black friday cyber monday weekend sale price too!

I went with the Legendary Wheels LW 50.  15X7 front, 15X8 rear.  245-60/15 front, 255-60/16  BF radial TA's.  Love the classic white letter out look.

Thanks everyone!

Ya, perfect timing!

Yes, got the 03 lug nut kit.  Legendarys own website is a bit confusing, stating that their 02 kit is for alloy wheels.

The Summit site said that the 03 lug nut kit was correct for the LW50 wheel, so I went with the 03 kit. Thanks for confirming.

Ya typo on the 16" tire. I said 15X8 wheel :) ...  can't wait to see them...

I just put a new suspension in the car, so ....alignment , ect...

I'll post pictures when I get them on the car...gonna be a few weeks

Will be good to see your pics

I have some Legendary LW50s on the way but reckon I paid a premium price being down under at $350 AUD each

Oh and some Mustang owners over here do put 16s on the rear for some reason

Will be good to see your pics

I have some Legendary LW50s on the way but reckon I paid a premium price being down under at $350 AUD each

Oh and some Mustang owners over here do put 16s on the rear for some reason
The 15X7 are on sale at $137.66 ea.

The 15X8 are on sale at$150.62 ea.

They are $170 and $180 on the Legendary Wheels website.

FYI

Can't help with Magnum 500s, as they aren't my thing. I will say you can get a better price on them from Summit than Branda or many of the Mustang shops. 

15X7 - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-54-5712044/overview/

15X8 - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-54-5812042/overview/

Regarding tire size, I'm running 15X8 steel wheels all around  - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-62-5812044

255/60R15 front, 275/60R15 rear. No rubbing issues. Stock replacement 429CJ leafs, front sits a touch high since the coils are for a 351-4V car w/competition suspension, and it currently sports a 302.

I Really like that sleeper look!! ::thumb::

Back