Maier racing vs scott drake sway bar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dam. Replace those springs ASAP. Collapsing springs in that manner will at best give horrible ride quality at best. At worst it can be dangerous. The temper has been removed from the spring steel. Cutting springs to get a proper ride height is the way I prefer though some disagree with that as well.

As for rear spring rate, 200lb will give a very harsh ride on the street. I have the stock spring rate with a sway bar and KYB shocks. It is firm but still has great ride characteristics.

Somewhere on the site is a PDF of the Addco handling book. It has great advice for a street driven performance handling car. My favorite source is Herb Adams book "Chassis Engineering". Just remember stock springs, big swaybars and good shocks.

Ive always had good luck with Hellwig swaybars. I picked one up for my sons 71 and it fit with no issues. And they are made in the U.S. ... always a plus!

Last edited by a moderator:
@7173 definitely will. i just need to save up some money to start it up again..college is draining me finically!:(

@droptop yes i am i actually got some 600# maier racing coils I am waiting to install. Just cant find the time and help :(

i need to find that PDF! haha i need my car to handle good!

@matt link??

and another question/concern:if i want to work on my car and jack up the front, i notice that my wheels camber out alot, positive camber. and when i drop the car back to the ground both my camber and toe are off, messing up my alignment. why is that?? and what is caster??

Last edited by a moderator:
@matt thanks dude!!

ok i took my car to the track today and got my ass handed to me..which was expected. Ok now that i know how it handles next is to replace both front and rear springs. And now my question is should i replace the coil saddle and insulator? or leave them? as far as i know they never ever been replaced.

Roller perches are the way to go. They allow a little more freedom of movement for the suspension. I have not noticed any added harshness. If you get the Dazecars kits it's not a terribly difficult modification if you have some fabrication skills.

Replacement rubber pieces are inexpensive and the rollers are a great upgrade. I had polyurethane perch bushings, they creaked and groaned to no end.

If your current perches are not dry rotted or worn out they are likely usable, if they are not in good shape I'd replace them.

@drop well they loook worn out but no noise from them at all yet so maybe keep them till i save up for the double roller?

Roller perches are the way to go. They allow a little more freedom of movement for the suspension. I have not noticed any added harshness. If you get the Dazecars kits it's not a terribly difficult modification if you have some fabrication skills.
I know this is an old thread, but I found the roller perch kit from Dazecars very interesting. I have one question, can the bearing journal distort after welding so that the bearings won't fit? Do they have to be re-honed after welding? I ask because he has a kit where the journals are already honed and the bearings fit. Did you use the fitted kit or the unfitted kit?

Back