What is the Correct Ford OEM size for both front and rear sway bars - 1971 Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I'm referring to the nuts inside the rails. Come to think of it, they would be "capture nuts" not weld-nuts (that are spot welded in place. Capture nuts are able to 'float')
Yep, no nuts, just sheet metal lag screws. Factory equipped competition suspension. I was surprised to find that was all it was attached with.

Last edited:
Yep, no nuts, just sheet metal lab screws. Factory equipped competition suspension. I was surprised to find that was all it was attached with.
Weird! When I put mine on, I thought I needed to fish around a bit to find the nuts to bolt the sway bar clamps up. It's been a few years and hard to remember (even if it was yesterday, it would still be hard to remember!!).
I'll take your word for it then.

Thanks again to everyone for the informative, and helpful advice.
My plan is to do both front and rear swaybars in the very near future. The front should be a piece of cake, as I'm just swapping out the old one for a new one. The rear might be more of a challenge, but hopefully will go smoothly.
I'll post the results on this thread.

Here are all the sway bars for 1971 for each body style and option.View attachment 78621
Is this the same for 72? Also, anybody figure out a place to get the plates that go under the springs for the link bars to attach besides the thiefs on eBay. 200 bucks for some flat stock seems pretty ridiculous, I might just have to make a set. Anybody got a pattern?

Is this the same for 72? Also, anybody figure out a place to get the plates that go under the springs for the link bars to attach besides the thiefs on eBay. 200 bucks for some flat stock seems pretty ridiculous, I might just have to make a set. Anybody got a pattern?
Sombody selling parts on this site yesterday had several sets of the flat metal plates for like $25 pet set.

Sombody selling parts on this site yesterday had several sets of the flat metal plates for like $25 pet set.
Thank you Buckwheat ! I'll take a quick look, but will probably just order them from NPD.

Thank you Buckwheat ! I'll take a quick look, but will probably just order them from NPD.

I sent Addco my original rear sway bar from my 72 Q code Mach 1 and they remade them. It’s not perfect, but it fits much better than their first version. With the larger bars on front and rear my car handles much better than the factory ones.
This is a followup to my original question regarding front and rear sway bars for my 71. I’m happy to report the front and rear suspension work is completed. I appreciate everyone on this forum who replied and provided helpful suggestions.

So here’s what was done: I swapped out the original 3/4 inch Front Sway bar with an Addco 1 inch sway bar kit, with new links and bushings etc. Also installed a Rear 3/4 inch Addco Sway bar kit (my car previously didn’t have a rear sway bar). Also installed new ball joints, new lower control arms, new polyurethane bushings on the strut rod arms, and front end alignment etc..

I’m happy to report that this made a world of difference. It drives and handles soooo much better now, and takes the bumps nicely without the previous occasional clunking noise. The rear end is a little stiffer, obviously thanks to the new rear sway bar, and (new leaf springs from Detroit Eaton Spring Co. installed a few months ago).

However I’ve now noticed occasional annoying squeaking while going over bumps etc.. I can replicate the squeaks easily (while parked) by pushing up & down on the front bumper. I am assuming this is from the new polyurethane bushings. It's not a major issue, but is annoying. Any suggestions on how to alleviate this squeaking would be appreciated.

The exact memory of how my original 1971 Mach 1 handled in 1971 has been a little lost over the years. However, I think these upgrades bring my current Mustang a lot more close to what I can remember my original 71 felt back in the 1970’s.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

The poly strut rod bushings have been known to shatter when hitting a pot hole. High durometer rubber store rod bushings are available from Global West. Chuck

This is a followup to my original question regarding front and rear sway bars for my 71. I’m happy to report the front and rear suspension work is completed. I appreciate everyone on this forum who replied and provided helpful suggestions.

So here’s what was done: I swapped out the original 3/4 inch Front Sway bar with an Addco 1 inch sway bar kit, with new links and bushings etc. Also installed a Rear 3/4 inch Addco Sway bar kit (my car previously didn’t have a rear sway bar). Also installed new ball joints, new lower control arms, new polyurethane bushings on the strut rod arms, and front end alignment etc..

I’m happy to report that this made a world of difference. It drives and handles soooo much better now, and takes the bumps nicely without the previous occasional clunking noise. The rear end is a little stiffer, obviously thanks to the new rear sway bar, and (new leaf springs from Detroit Eaton Spring Co. installed a few months ago).

However I’ve now noticed occasional annoying squeaking while going over bumps etc.. I can replicate the squeaks easily (while parked) by pushing up & down on the front bumper. I am assuming this is from the new polyurethane bushings. It's not a major issue, but is annoying. Any suggestions on how to alleviate this squeaking would be appreciated.

The exact memory of how my original 1971 Mach 1 handled in 1971 has been a little lost over the years. However, I think these upgrades bring my current Mustang a lot more close to what I can remember my original 71 felt back in the 1970’s.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Your poly bushings should have come with lubricant and instructions. It is common for them to squeak.
https://www.suspension.com/blog/the-best-grease-for-polyurethane-bushings/

I use poly sway bar bushings on all my classics. As long as I used the lubricant in the package, I've never had a squeaking issue.

Poly strut rod bushings are a bad idea, they don't flex like rubber and will eventually cause the strut rod to snap.

Back