Manifold Carb studs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mac 1
Quick questions. I need longer carb studs due to a spacer install.

1. On a stock 73 351 4V manifold what diameter, thread type and length are the studs (5/16ths)?

2. Is there a good source for longer ones (I'll check Summit/Jegs etc. Lots of offerings. Need to check how long they really need to be for my application)

3. Is there a good method for removing the old ones - assuming these things have been in there since day one - or am I at a high risk for snapping one off and ruining my day!

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do snap one off drill a pilot hole and use an easy out. They work great. Had to do this on a power steering pump stud on a 94 Dakota last week. It was rusted solid into the block. A little PB Blaster soaking overnight will also help a lot.

If you do snap one off drill a pilot hole and use an easy out. They work great. Had to do this on a power steering pump stud on a 94 Dakota last week. It was rusted solid into the block. A little PB Blaster soaking overnight will also help a lot.
I was going to break out the PB Blaster for sure. My last foray with an Easy out wound up being neither easy or out but I'm sure I can get it done if it happens.

ARP are good and come in a wide range of lengths. They are 5/16 ths and can be found on Summit.
Thanks John. I'm looking at those now. Just trying to figure out how long they now need to be. I need about a minimum of a 1/4 inch longer than stock at most. Just not sure how long the stock ones are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to break out the PB Blaster for sure. My last foray with an Easy out wound up being neither easy or out but I'm sure I can get it done if it happens.

ARP are good and come in a wide range of lengths. They are 5/16 ths and can be found on Summit.
Thanks John. I'm looking at those now. Just trying to figure out how long they now need to be. I need about a minimum of a 1/4 inch longer than stock at most. Just not sure how long the stock ones are.
Take the height of the carb base and spacer plus the nut at a minimum.

Put two nuts on the stud and lock them against each other to remove stud.

As far as longer studs.. buy them if you need to but I being back yard would

make my own from a bolt or a length of all-thread, but that's me.. I have

better things to spend my money on than carb studs.

Good Luck

Paul

Put two nuts on the stud and lock them against each other to remove stud.

As far as longer studs.. buy them if you need to but I being back yard would

make my own from a bolt or a length of all-thread, but that's me.. I have

better things to spend my money on than carb studs.

Good Luck

Paul
THat's the technique I heard works best so thanks.

Yup. I considered just cutting one. Then I can make my own size.

The bolts used to hold down the rocker arms work well . . . that's what I ended up using.

The old ones are easy to snap off if they have been in many decades. I recommend, pb power blaster overnight, followed by heating the studs with a handheld torch before trying to remove with the jam nut method described above.

I do not like using easy outs if they can be avoided. If you break one off, the metal is very hard and almost impossible to drill out without damage.

Back